Adrian Dodoro - Flankers into Mids since 2000 (Part 1)

Put it simply… If the team is going this bad the fans want to know that the club is taking it seriously and will enforce change.

Dodo is one of the many now we are looking at as a possible change. You can bring in talent but if the coaching team is poor they will struggle. Look at the dees in the early 2000’s. Continual top end talent wasted. Vise versa looking at the good teams.

Coach is a lot more important than head recruiter. Hell i could find gold if they were going to be coached by clarko.

Did Gary Lyon read my post on here a few weeks ago
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-2019-forgotten-man-brayden-sier-would-be-perfect-at-essendon-says-garry-lyon/news-story/b691a5485b7d5f8f656cb53435cc3f6f

really hope we go after him

Everyone reads your posts

That’s all we need, go after a strong clubs 8th best mid, pay them more than he’s worth so they get stronger and somehow hope that he’s going to fix all our problems. Instead of paying for guys like that we should be getting a good enough recruitment team to find our own.

2 Likes

Don’t Collingwood have a no trade policy with Essendon?

“But,but size and inside grunt doesn’t matter”

1 Like

Problem is Dodoro wont get him he’s only goes after skinny flankers that we try to turn into mids.

What about Libba? has started the season well and looks to be getting back to his best if he continues likes this i would make an offer the Dogs cant match.

That ship has sailed. The time to get him was last year when there was still big questions over his career & he was a possible bargain. Ditto opportunity missed to get Wallis as a free agent - started the year averaging more than any of our players.

How do you know Dodoro didn’t try?

Davies, Harvey, Bradley, Myers & Kavanaugh can be added to the list & thats just 1st round picks. Hunt, Reynolds, O’Keefe, Walsh, Cartledge, Nash, Lee, Hislop, Long, Steinberg, Merrett, Ashby & Morgan all second round picks. Thats a shyteload of wasted opportunities. Maybe the problem is we haven’t developed our list manager well enough.

1 Like

You can do that with a lot of clubs, including Hawthorn.

1 Like

Of course every club has hits & misses, nobody remotely expects every draft pick to be a star. What it comes down to is getting enough hits to build a strong list. You simply can’t compare Dodoro’s record to successful clubs in those areas PLUS you’ll find that teams like Hawthorn have had several changes in their list management in spite of the success.

Doesn’t matter what happens, JB and Ants will still be arguing about Dodorro’s recruiting in the 00’s. One of life’s great constants.

8 Likes

Geelong’s 2009 premiership midfield:
Above 185cm: Ling (189), Corey (191), Bartel (187)
Below 185cm: Kelly (183), Chapman (179), Ablett (182), Selwood (183), Varcoe, Byrnes, Stokes

WCE’s 2018 premiership midfield:
Above 185cm: Yeo (190), Redden (189), Sheed (185), Venables (187),
Below 185cm: Hutchings (181), Masten (179), Shuey (183), Duggan (183), Cripps, Jetta, Rioli

So three over 185cm seems pretty standard…

1 Like

He said “we have definitely burnt allot of top picks chasing top quality talls when we should have used them on mids” (bold emphasis mine). Are Myers and Kav talls? Was Cartledge a top pick?

I forgot Bradley, although looking at that draft the next best player to go was Stanton. If we’d played Bradley to his strengths he might have been a lot more effective. So I’d argue Bradley wasn’t a burnt pick, since given the options in that draft he was a decent pick.

Dodoro has fallen away heavily for me in finding ready developed Rookies or late pick players.

Hibberd and Bags were great gets.

Weve landed fark all players to fill holes and improve weaknesses year on year.

Tippa yes.

A cheap lock down nuggetty type like Greenwood would get a game with us to play on the Dustin Martins of the comp.

Look at Mihokek. Hes rag dolling seasoned AFL defenders. What a get.

1 Like

Waste of time, Woosha doesn’t believe in taggers…

How frequently do you expect to get them? Ambrose, Guelfi and Walla were all mature players taken late who were in the team the last two rounds. One playing FB, one playing CHF (kind of).

In the VFL both Mynott and Draper look promising. We’ll see on Houlihan, Jok, Hams, a bit early on them.

BTW, Greenwood wasn’t cheap. He cost Collingwood pick #25.

Im looking at Collingwoods back 6 from the GF last year and they are mostly discards from other clubs or fringe picks. Crisp, Howe, Varco, Langdon, Goldsack. Then theres Mihocek, Cox.

I know there was flag side recently with a litany of rookie and fringe picks. Ill dig and try and find.