Adrian Dodoro - Flankers into Mids since 2000 (Part 1)

I think people are looking at the wrong end of the age bracket for drafting and list management.

We should be looking at the 18-24 year old and see who is a lock to take the spot. KPB to replace Hooker is either Hartley (not a lock) and Zerk (still unproven). As such we need to assess how confident we are that he is replaceable in the list and make a drafting decision based on that.

I think our real targets should be (in order of importance):

small forward (hard to find good ones and super important).

Rucks, Draper doing a knee and Z Clarke being a bust makes this a priority.

KPD, I am not yet confident that Zerk will come good and Hartley is only a stop gap, a back end athletic freak with limited football ability to develop would be nice.

Inside mid, again hard to find a good one and we need to keep replenishing the stocks, even though I am confident Parish and Clarke can hold down the prime spot going forward, injuries happen.

Generally we also need to keep finding crafty forwards who can score. Again, hard to find good ones, so keep looking for some goal kickers - medium or tall would be Nice.

I would also preference drafting player with high endurance, speed, defensive application and kicking ability.

1 Like

Should we have another crack at Jack Martin for that small forward role Noc? Even though heā€™s not that small. He may be the perfect Zacka replacement down the track too.

No idea how weā€™ll be able to afford his free agency request though.

Love how you spiel a whole heap of rubbish, then finish it with you wonā€™t raise it again. Promise. i.e. Iā€™ll make some stuff up and claim it as the final word!

• Outside of one brother, what other evidence do you have that the Daniherā€™s are riddled with OP?
  • Obviously you have a right to an opinion, but I think most on here would say that Francis not being a KP player or Hurley being over it are both pretty stupid. I would note this article today putā€™s Hurley as one of our contenders to be all Australian this year: https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-06-26/your-clubs-midseason-all-australians-who-makes-the-cut
  • You ignore that part of the reason the youngsters havenā€™t had games is injuries and the quality of the senior talls.
  • You have yet to say who you would like sacrificed for these top end talls, and how many talls exactly you want on a list.
  • I like it how Ambrose isnā€™t a genuine tall, when he might be winning the reverse-Coleman.
  • You seem to ignore for rucks how many teams trade in their senior ruck now days, or depth if required. Or hell, trade in talls as well.

Mate, really want to put this to bedā€¦ not saying itā€™s the final word, of course there are other valid opinions. I, personally, just donā€™t want to post about this anymore. So, with any luck, this might be my last :wink:

Didnā€™t say ā€˜riddledā€™ said ā€˜family historyā€™. His brother having a career ended by OP is the very definition of what I actually said. And, arenā€™t we on the same page regarding our concerns for Joe and depth?

Again, I said Hurley, as a roaming intercept defender, has years left in himā€¦but not as a man on man KPP though, IMO.
Ambrose and Francis 1.91ā€¦ same as Langā€¦ not KPP in my opinion.

Yes, letā€™s trade in good tallsā€¦ eg. not Clarkeā€¦have said it elsewhere. Iā€™m not ignoring that other teams tradeā€¦ want it to happen, just like Hickey, roughhead, Lycett, Preuss etc were traded in last yr by teams who already have good talls. I would like us to spend a little on getting some good tall backup too.

Ants, if you want to deliberately misquote what Iā€™ve said then youre not arguing in good faith and we are done here.

Youā€™ve been singing the same tune for years

I was obviously using parlance with riddled. Given you were saying ā€œfamily historyā€ to refer to one other family member having the same injury to criticise not planning for Daniher to suffer the same injury, I think it was a fair representation of what you were implying.

And yes, I think if JD is injury struck we need another tall forward. I think it is ridiculous to have spent a first round pick on a tall forward on the possibility that JD might suffer the same injury (which his dad and uncles didnā€™t) as you have bemoaned didnā€™t occur. I think it is one of the reasons we picked up Gown last year.

Hurley is in AA contention this year playing on oppositionā€™s key forwards. Ambrose maybe winning the reverse coleman playing at FB. Every man and his dog on blitz other than you considers Francis a tall.

So either you have a very skewed view of the world, or youā€™re being disingenuous.

And when you criticise past recruiting decisions for not foreseeing that injuries would occur, you are by default not allowing for trades. Because the trades can fix a hole that appears unexpectedly at very short notice.

Note that we have good backup - its injured (Draper, Stewart, Zerk), dominating the VFL (Francis, Hartley) or playing in the firsts (McKernan, Brown). Most observers would say this is sufficient backup.
You havenā€™t answered yet just how many talls you want on the list.

Mate, this whole discussion is beneath both of us - weā€™re nitpicking over semantics. definitions etc. You ask ā€˜how many tallsā€™ when Iā€™ve said I donā€™t question the quantity.

No oneā€™s accurately representing the otherā€™s posts. I reckon if we sat down over a beer weā€™d realise weā€™re just on different sides of the same coin. But for now, letā€™s just move onā€¦ itā€™s not worth it.

You know essendons in trouble when the dodos taking some heat

1 Like

Dodoro going to be working hard over the next 2 months. At least 5 contracts to be sorted.

Dylan Clarke - Essendon

Stuck in a queue behind Darcy Parish, Aaron Francis, Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Mason Redman for a fresh contract offer. Keen to stay at the Bombers and has proven himself in the past month with strong performances including shutting down Patrick Cripps and Jaeger Oā€™Meara. Talks for a new deal are expected to commence inside the next month.

lol called out once again then runs away to hide when busted

With all the ā– ā– ā– ā–  that went on though the saga the list is impressive IMHO. The coach? Not so much. If I could have any coach in the comp right now. It be after the brisbanes one.

You can tell be the way the bloke speaks about his players. He really cares, and is building a team culture of togetherness. This needed to be successful.

AFL players are all young men who need to be lead, mentored, and motivated every week.

I donā€™t disagree that good teams are player lead. But someone has to teach and inspire these players to begin with.

I just donā€™t see it with our current coach. When the chips are down and the going gets tough, where is he? And what the fark is he doing?

3 Likes

WTF? I made that comment 14 months ago

And nothings changed

Cgates has not posted for over a year. You should be flattered that he made a comeback just to comment on your singing. :wink:

2 Likes

Maybe he forgot to change accounts

He was banned for 12 months wasnā€™t he

Well tonight he was making match winning moves.

What a huge difference it makes. Changing things up and becoming more unpredictable. It causes confusion. However it was a forced change would it have happened if a patched up T-Bell was able to stay on the ground?

He still made them

This one meant for me Icey? Not hiding away - absolutely stand by my call that we are short on quality genuine talls in the 23 to 28 age bracket. Reckon Bellyā€™s injury drives this point home - at his age, injury was always more likely. I just donā€™t waste time with posters who get outraged and apoplectic over a difference of opinionā€¦ like a child would.

ā€˜Agree to disagreeā€™ā€¦ heard of that expression Icey? Probably not if you think that somehow equates to ā€˜hiding awayā€™.

Can you point to the club who has a good AFL quality back-up in the ruck after their primary ruck backup (which for us was Draper)? i.e. has an AFL quality third in line ruck for depth. Which you are saying we should have, and its absence is evidence supporting your argument.

I suspect Z. Clarke, as much as he gets criticised on Blitz, is probably amongst the leagueā€™s best #3 rucks. Its just most #3 rucks are either rubbish or 18-19 year olds.

4 Likes