Adrian Dodoro - Flankers into Mids since 2000 (Part 1)

Whoever that Michael Gleeson is, he managed to insert the lie;  "my employer gave me some stuff then told me it might affect my unborn child".

It wasn't Essendon that told him that, it was ASADA.  

But, back on topic, Dodoro has done very well along with Keane.

Considering the circumstances, there's not much more they could have done.

I'm holding my opinion post-Tippa.

1 Like

I think with the Ryder saga it was easy to get sidelined and be ticked off.  But in the light of day now that it's all over and the scurrilous idiot is gone, gee we've done pretty well out of trade week.  I love it that that idiot #moremayojon wrote an article on each club and wrote "Essendon showed why they are the hardest to get along with in trade period" and yet we've walked away with, what I think, is a decent haul.

Might be just hoping rather than having any reasoning behind it, but I think the most important pick up could be Gwilt.  Inspired move I reckon, cost us nothing but come next year could mean a hell of a lot.  He's only 28, change of scenery and a new coach/team could do him the world of good.

I'd be ■■■■■■ worried if a club came after one of our top 10-12 players, contracted for 2 more years, and we shook their hands and wished them both well and didn't waste any of their time so they could go and work on more deals.

Did his best to screw Port, exactly as GC did to us in the Caddy deal (except they ended up dicking themselves given they took a worse deal the following year).

Important part of his job.

I'd be ■■■■■■ worried if a club came after one of our top 10-12 players, contracted for 2 more years, and we shook their hands and wished them both well and didn't waste any of their time so they could go and work on more deals.

Did his best to screw Port, exactly as GC did to us in the Caddy deal (except they ended up dicking themselves given they took a worse deal the following year).

but we lost out on both the Paddy and the caddy deals... so important yes, successful ?

Well done Dodoro and co.  Managed a highly emotionally charged situation perfectly , finishing off with a Brownlow medallist wanting to come to our great club singing the praises of James Hird. Hats off to you mate !

but we lost out on both the Paddy and the caddy deals... so important yes, successful ?

What did we lose exactly on the Caddy deal not going through? Dodged a bullet IMHO, Hooker's a far better footballer.

And yeah, we lost on the Ryder deal, that's what happens when player, agent & a rival club collude to get him out & lock the negotiations to one club, with the AFL & media's blessing.

That's the hand Paddy dealt us, making it Dodoro's problem to "fix", but not his fault in the slightest. Otherwise we would have had GWS' pick 7 which would've been good darts.

Now we just need 2 young guns in the draft, I have full faith in Dodoro and co. If he pulls this off and gets us through this tough time of trade sanctions he is a club legend in my eyes . Do your stuff Dodoro !

Think you'll find we won in the Caddy trade that wasn't.

And with 17, Cooney, & the AFL gifting us Giles from their own stockpile of talent at their very own club for a pick neither club will/would use to help the deal happen, I think most would call the Paddy trade a wash.

We should of /could of got overs, but sae la vie, we go forth in pretty good shape.

Will give him props if he nails 17 and 20.

Exactly if he nails another two Zach Merrett quality players at 17 & 20, he will have had an extremely good trade/free agency/draft period.

Then he needs to concentrate on getting Jake Carlisle and Tommy Bellchambers to re-sign contract extension before next season starts, then he can start look at free agents targets at other clubs.

Adelaide look ripe for the taking with all of Danger, Sloane and Tex free agents next year.

And as a side project he should be looking for karmic retribution against the fuckwits at Port Adelaide. Convince an Ollie Wines or the like to demand a trade to Essendon next year.

Disco has done well, but it's hardly just him making these decisions independently.

Well done to Hirdy, who calls the shots, the list management team for sussing the how, and Dodoro for getting it done.

Whoever that Michael Gleeson is, he managed to insert the lie;  "my employer gave me some stuff then told me it might affect my unborn child".

It wasn't Essendon that told him that, it was ASADA.  

Yeah, I noticed that too. Typical Age fact shifting... 

The team deserve credit for doing the best they could with what they had.

I don’t agree with all the moves, but given disco and co had a gun to their heads (again) they’ve done a good job.

Now if they hit 17 & 20 with some real talent… I reckon we 'll all move on pretty quickly.

Maybe the mods can put this in the Paddy thread which is now locked, if it is better there, but I thought this was a very fair* and positive summary of the outcome.

* Fair after the usual flogging setting the scene.

Essendon survives draft loss and Paddy Ryder trade

Somewhat surprisingly, given the year that has been, Essendon did not end up in court. In the end Essendon did the deal: Paddy Ryder has docked at Port.

And, although it might not feel it for some at Essendon, it is a good deal.

In good conscience the Bombers could not keep Ryder. Why? Well firstly because even they would privately admit that the player would have had a fairly compelling legal case when he told a judge "my employer gave me some stuff then told me it might affect my unborn child". That would run pretty hard in court.

1. In what universe did Essendon tell Ryder the supplements would have an adverse affect on his unborn child? This is just completely made up.

2. Where does Gleeson get "...because they (Essendon) would privately admit that the player would have had a fairly compelling legal case"? Is this just his opinion? Surely it is, as I haven't seen one person with credible knowledge say that Ryder would have a good chance of winning the grievance tribunal. All I've heard from Essendon is that we were confident we would have won but didn't want to go down that path.

Add another article and author to list of carnts who have made ■■■■ up and said defamatory things about EFC. 

Did extremely well in my opinion and deserves a lot more respect and praise than what he receives from some posters and supporters.

Well done Disco, the pinga’s are on me next time.

Maybe the mods can put this in the Paddy thread which is now locked, if it is better there, but I thought this was a very fair* and positive summary of the outcome.

* Fair after the usual flogging setting the scene.

Essendon survives draft loss and Paddy Ryder trade

Somewhat surprisingly, given the year that has been, Essendon did not end up in court. In the end Essendon did the deal: Paddy Ryder has docked at Port.

And, although it might not feel it for some at Essendon, it is a good deal.

In good conscience the Bombers could not keep Ryder. Why? Well firstly because even they would privately admit that the player would have had a fairly compelling legal case when he told a judge "my employer gave me some stuff then told me it might affect my unborn child". That would run pretty hard in court.

1. In what universe did Essendon tell Ryder the supplements would have an adverse affect on his unborn child? This is just completely made up.

2. Where does Gleeson get "...because they (Essendon) would privately admit that the player would have had a fairly compelling legal case"? Is this just his opinion? Surely it is, as I haven't seen one person with credible knowledge say that Ryder would have a good chance of winning the grievance tribunal. All I've heard from Essendon is that we were confident we would have won but didn't want to go down that path.

Where 

Can we have a blanket ban on posting or mentioning anything from the AGEnda?

It only encourages them & enfuriates us.

Yep. Glad he stood firm and didn't trade Paddy for "a bag of peanuts" straight away. Instead, he bravely gave port a deadline. And then traded Paddy for the bag of peanuts.

I don't want to sound negative, but I think List Management in the holistic sense is probably not something I feel completely comfortable with him being responsible for. I believe he is a great identifier of junior talent, as a recruiting officer charged with looking at draft prospects, he is very good. Some of our picks from Pick 20 onwards has been sensational with the captures of Carlisle, Zaharakis, and Z.Merrett in this draft range. I feel safe in the knowledge that he knows what he is doing in that sphere and I have a positive feeling that Picks 17 and 20 can net us some good long-term players. But AD in charge of trading? Not for me. Understand that he has been stymied somewhat with the draft penalties we have incurred, and the Ryder situation was tough given the threats, however real, of this ending up in the hands of an AFL Grievance Tribunal had we not dealt Paddy...

I don't want to sound negative, but I think List Management in the holistic sense is probably not something I feel completely comfortable with him being responsible for. I believe he is a great identifier of junior talent, as a recruiting officer charged with looking at draft prospects, he is very good. Some of our picks from Pick 20 onwards has been sensational with the captures of Carlisle, Zaharakis, and Z.Merrett in this draft range. I feel safe in the knowledge that he knows what he is doing in that sphere and I have a positive feeling that Picks 17 and 20 can net us some good long-term players.

That's not his job though, that's Keane - who we brought in about 5 years ago. Keane (and the other scouts) sit below Dodoro.