Adrian Dodoro - Flankers into Mids since 2000 (Part 1)

this thread is very different to yesterday's thread

Thats because every one has had a chance to settle down and look at the glass half full, instead of the glass half empty

We did well - kudos to Adrian Dodoro. We're now (sort of) at the end of the sanctions, which were always going to bite pretty hard, but we're looking at starting 2015 with a very solid list. Now if we can just shake off the ASADA thing over the summer we'll be through the tunnel.

The Ryder deal must have been tough to swallow. It's easy to forget that Dodoro has the same sort of passion for EFC as the rest of us and would have loved to just tell Port to shove it. But with the pick 37 / Cooney deal on the table it would have been a mistake not to wrap things up.

Well said Ben! He has done a great job under very trying circumstances. I look forward to 2015.

Thats because every one has had a chance to settle down and look at the glass half full, instead of the glass half empty

I looked at the glass and saw it half full.

Of peanuts.

I think he did really well. Got as much as possible for Ryder under the circumstances, and then got Giles for nothing. 

17 & 37 for Ryder is unders, but not daylight robbery. And we got a replacement who is statistically very similar in performance for peanuts. I'm wrapt. 

Except Albert ... might take a bit longer.

I'm still angry, just don't really see the point in complaining about it now. The club and by extension Dodoro (or maybe vice versa, who knows) clearly have a style, which they've had for years, which isn't going to change. Can only hope that at some point it works.

Okay, so that's probably complaining.

I'd be ■■■■■■ worried if a club came after one of our top 10-12 players, contracted for 2 more years, and we shook their hands and wished them both well and didn't waste any of their time so they could go and work on more deals.

Did his best to screw Port, exactly as GC did to us in the Caddy deal (except they ended up dicking themselves given they took a worse deal the following year).

Important part of his job.

but we lost out on both the Paddy and the caddy deals... so important yes, successful ?

What did we lose exactly on the Caddy deal not going through? Dodged a bullet IMHO, Hooker's a far better footballer.

And yeah, we lost on the Ryder deal, that's what happens when player, agent & a rival club collude to get him out & lock the negotiations to one club, with the AFL & media's blessing.

That's the hand Paddy dealt us, making it Dodoro's problem to "fix", but not his fault in the slightest. Otherwise we would have had GWS' pick 7 which would've been good darts.

Exactly!! We got bent over by the AFL and the threat of the grievance tribunal as it was pretty obvious to me we would have got nothing for Ryder if we fully went down that path.

I think we did OK overall, losing Ryder for pick 17, Cooney and a replacement in Giles. Peeved that Port got what they wanted for a steal but what can you do if the AFL and media are silently backing you?

Where's the outrage over:

- a player breaking a contract

- Port negotiating terms and training with him while still contracted

- claiming a "fair" deal of picks 17 and 37 for Ryder when Beams gets Collingwood picks 5, 25 and Crisp, or Boyd for Griffen and pick 6???

FARK THE AFL AND PORT!!

Good work on the thread Ben.

This is exactly the type of focus we need given the way things have been going of late.

Hope he stays,heard he has been approached by other clubs.

GENERAL DISCO ON THE CHARGE

If they can supply proper Euro bikkies, we might be in trouble.

Started seriously considering his options when he heard Sheeds might be coming back.

No doubt still has nightmares about certain decisions.

Big Fish Count?

Ignoring the loss of Paddy and looking at it from long term point of view we are well placed this year. Had we not had draft penalties our picks would have been 13 & 34 we now have 17 & 20, I would say that is break even if not better if draft drops off later than 20. Considering the original AFL penalties had us being banned from Rnd 1 and 2 and we negotiated to get Pick 20, I would say 2013 draft was a positive one so we can effectively say we have overcome the draft penalties. The retention of players during the last few years has been quite amazing, not to mention attracting great people (they are more than just players) to our club during that time, the value of players like Goddard, Chapman, Cooney and Gwilt with a combined 56 finals cannot be understated.

Big Fish Count?

Let's just say we don't want Dept of Fisheries and Wildlife sniffing around, exceeded our quota. Had to tag and release Ruder.

I'm not lid off when it comes to locking us in for a flag in 2015 but I definitely think we are improving and will be force and we'll do some damage.

Doddoro has ensured that on paper we look okay and haven't been forced into a rebuild though that will come in the next few years as we lose guys like Jobe, Goddard, Chappy, Winderlich, Fletcher, Cooney and replace them with kids.

Now it's just down to winning the actual games we play as we definitely have some great cattle with Carlisle and Daniher about to do some serious damage and Hurley and Hooker holding down the backline.

Ryder was always the "good problem to have" so provided Tbell is in good shape we wo'nt miss him at all.

Is anyone "lid off" in regards to us winning the flag in 2015? If they are they are deluded.

Having said that if Disco can get a couple of good talents at 17 & 20 I'd say we have gone a long way to overcoming the draft sanctions, what with getting extremely lucky with Zach Merrett and all.

I was REALLY angry yesterday when I heard about the Ryder deal. I even called my own club a shambles. Massive regret!!

Honestly, think Dodoro has done enough. Hate to say this, but there was obviously a risk if Connors and Ryder taking it to the tribunal. He was pre much forced to take Ports final offer which was better than NOTHING.

-Very happy with the Giles trade. People have forgotten how good he was just 2 seasons ago. Fingers crossed Belly loses some weight and gets super fit to spend more time fwd.

-Jury out on the Cooney trade. Club obviously thought pick 37 won’t net us something decent.

-Pick 17 and 20 is a good position to be in. Land 2 guns and we’re happy.

-Finally, we get out draft picks back next year!! Now, let’s tank and land us pick 1 and 19 :lol:

If we lost him last year it would have been much worse.  But Ryder does not define Essendon and is not indispensible.

Just like when any player on a team is out,  the team has to adapt.

In this case we lost one ruckman,  but should gain one from injury and one from another team at low cost.

In addition,  TBELL,  if he comes up OK is pretty much equivalent to Paddy in most respects stats wise   Just not as "athletic"