Adrian Dodoro - Flankers into Mids since 2000 (Part 1)

Lol. You think I’ve avoided facts and arguments? Have you read my posts in this thread???

Dodoro recruits. He doesn’t develop. He doesn’t ■■■■ players like Houli or Crameri off. He doesn’t choose the fitness staff. He doesn’t cause our (past hopefully) injury woes. He didn’t employ Dank and then not monitor him or document the program. He didn’t completely screw up the way we reacted to the saga. He (probably) doesn’t set our strategy such as not to trade players out or to take back every Saga player lucky enough to still be on the list. He doesn’t decide game plan or weekly team line ups.

All of that feeds into having a good enough list to win a final. All of that you’ve conveniently ignored.

9 Likes

I just find it hard to believe that 4 coaches have told him to recruit running HBF who can pinch hit in the middle as opposed to just midfielders.

5 Likes

Stopped reading after the highlighted above.

What a nonsensical argument to make.

If we do not try and recuit inside mids this trade period he should be sacked.

1 Like

Where have I ignored ANY of that? This is the Dodoro thread & the discussion is about HIS performance. I get that you want to deflect to everything but his actual performance but again this is his thread. His drafting has been poor, his trading has been poor & his list management has been poor. In spite of all the other factors that go into making a club successful I don’t believe you have ever made any reasonable case to suggest we had a flag capable list. You throw up hypotheticals like they are a reasoned defence of actual outcomes & you continually move the goalpost on forming any actual standard. So I ask again - what benchmark or standard would convince you if not actual outcomes? Is there any point, 20 years without a finals win maybe 30 years that would make you at the very least consider that our list hasn’t been good enough or is there some other measure you want to set? Is drafting less than 3% of the All Australian sides over your career maybe some evidence you’d consider? I’m open to the idea that you can set the standard & I’ve been asking for a standard for some time but again you ignore this & instead grasp on to the saga, Sheedy, Dank & more recently its this idea that Dodoro is only the List manager so we shouldn’t hold him responsible for anything.

The facts are the club is currently a failure. We have finished out of the finals 9 of the last 13 years & in the 4 finals we’ve made we’ve lost by a total of 236 points. I believe you simply have to acknowledge that a significant factor in that outcome is the state of the list. You can argue all you like about what % the coaches, the fitness staff, the sports scientist & the boot studder plays in the ultimate success of a club but surely at some point you have to place some level of importance on the list & its management. We’ve replaced every other aspect of the club several times over. Would we have done that wad we won finals most years - no, so why do we not persist with the only constant?

3 Likes

We always hear stories like if AFL didn’t change the draft rule we would have picked up Selwood. But I can guarantee you Carlton would have gone Leunberger pick 3 and we would have gone Hansen with pick 4.

Another story going we would have picked Oliver if Melbourne picked Parish. We probably would have overlooked him for Weideman or someone.

Is there an inside gun around pick 11 range in this draft?

Ill bet whatever that we would have taken Jetta at 4

Another ■■■■■■■ midget…

Bravo

The time has come for a fresh set of eyes. Now is the time for change. It must happen before all our good players are past it. That time is approaching rapidly.

And who would you replace him with?

We’ve poached a lot of coaches for little return.

Hooker, Hurley and Heppell are not our best players.

Caracella

I thought Caracella was a coach?

My bad I posted in the wrong thread. Carry on.

Charlie Prior. Leo McCormick maybe.

Admittedly I made those names up, but would you have known whether they were highly rated recruiting assistants at other clubs or not?

3 Likes

Also, when would you replace him? I wouldn’t think now is the time.

A quick google shows me that list managers have been replaced pretty much every stage of the year from mid September to late July. I’m not saying we should get rid of him, my opinions on our recruiting are ambivalent, but if you think he’s not capable of building a premiership list then best deal with it sooner rather than later. Whoever comes in to the role would a) have access to all the information from our existing recruiting team because it’s unlikely that you’d sack them all straight up, and anyway b) presumably be some sort of existing recruiting person and so would have spent all year preparing for the draft.

Better the devil you know doesn’t really apply to football. It’s not better to be consistently in the middle of the table than it is to be consistently on the bottom, both are equally failures. Maybe bringing in a new list manager late in the year damages our output this draft, maybe whoever we bring in is just worse and has to get replaced in a few years. But if you think list management is substantially to blame for our problems, then the risk of being below average instead of average is really no risk at all when being average is a failure.

So just for clarification, is Dodoro some sort of loose cannon that recruits whoever he likes or is he part of a larger team whose recruiting strategy has, apparently, been the worst in the competition for 15 years?

I know yesterday sucked, I know our midfield hasn’t been up to it this year, I know we’ve been crap for 15 years.

But seriously, after the shitstorm this club has been through over the past 4 years, what is a fair and reasonable performance standard to expect?

The headwinds we’ve been up against. We lost 3 early picks. We lost an AA, hbf, chb and ruck for peanuts. The replacement picks are still developing so weren’t reasonably going to be best 22 this year. The saga derailed the development of a bunch of young guys who may have performed this year. The bans shattered the form of many of the returning players. And to cap it off, we couldn’t trade for a quality player due to the stigma of the saga.

To get to the end of that and still make finals is a farking miracle.

We have lost a huge amount of trade currency in the past few years, but we have a solid core of young talent. It was the young guys that were the brightest lights yesterday. Our youth will only become stronger next year.

If we still suck in 2019, then heads can roll. Till then, have expectations grounded in reality.

6 Likes