Adrian Dodoro - Flankers into Mids since 2000 (Part 1)

Kinda want dodoro to be turfed so you have a meltdown

To be fairā€¦ based on the the call for ā€˜big fishā€™ only Betts and Prestia were arguably in that category at the time. But when are we fair.

I was only looking at players who played in our last game vs players who played in Richmondā€™s and Adelaideā€™s last games.

I do find it interesting that weā€™ve never (my memory is not great, so Iā€™m happy to be corrected if necessary) traded our first round pick.
I wonder how many other clubs havenā€™t.

I actually feel sorry for you

Donā€™t, I donā€™t need pity from someone clearly more deranged.

Looking throught it, every other team has traded their assigned first round pick since 2014. We havenā€™t done it since at least 1997 (I got bored and stopped there)

Most recent ā€œnaturalā€ first round pick trade
adelaide - 2014
brisbane - 2016
bulldogs - 2015
carlton - 2014
collingwood - 2016
fremantle - 2016
geelong - 2017
gold coast - 2015
gws - 2015
hawthorn - 2017
melbourne - 2015
north - 2015
port - 2017
richmond - 2016
saints - 2016
sydney - 2016
west coast - 2015

9 Likes

Well that says something.
Iā€™m not sure what it says, butā€¦yā€™know, somethingā€¦

4 Likes

I especially regret not doing the deals for Anderson and Reddenā€¦

One thing both Jbomber and I agree with is that EFC hasnā€™t been great at the ā€œvalueā€ trades (unless theyā€™re old and good for one year). Especially huge win ones. Hopefully Stewart is the start of changing that trend. But on some of who youā€™ve mentioned:

ADELAIDE

• B Crouch: really just equivalent to getting pick #2 as part of losing Davis. Not hugely different to us getting #5 for Carlisle.
  • Jacobs/Jenkins/Lynch/Brown: all cheap trades with great upside. Essendon need more of these types of trades, hopefully Stewart is one.
  • Betts: how is he different to Goddard?
  • Seedsman: good mid-priced trade for a mid-cost. No current EFC equivalent.

We do have Dea, McKernan, Leunberger and Green as fringe 22 players as well.

RICHMOND

• Nankervis/Townsend/Grigg/Houli: low cost trades, with decent to great outcomes.
  • Prestia: paid a lot for a decent player.
  • Caddy: mid-priced decent player

Neither side has been aggressive traders. Richmond did one major trade for with pick #6. Adelaide upgraded the Davis compo with a first round pick for Brown and #2. That is the extent of their major trades. Everything else has been mid-priced or cheapie trades or FA.

It only takes one trade for us to be on that list obviously (and seems somewhat likely to happen), and those trades arenā€™t all the same (some are pick upgrades, some are pick downgrades, some are player trades, some are pick and player trades), so itā€™s not as if thereā€™s one philosophy and weā€™re the only ones not doing it.

Iā€™d say though that it does at least suggest that our approach to the trade period is unusual.

2 Likes

No Team would sue AFL for Restraint of Trade, as when it comes to players the Team and AFL are the same body.

Players could over the draft, the rules have been challenged before when a player was refused a clearance to play for another Club and he won, so the AFL would be nervous. Many Employment Lawyers reckon the AFL would be in serious trouble if challenged over draft and the contract boys ( and often their Parents) sign to enter the draft.

1 Like

We would also be one of the few teams to never get anything like a pick upgrade from the points system, lots of other clubs have used that to their advantage for sure. Guess that must fall in the hard to deal with basket. This thread fascinates me as really when you go back our drafting can be argued either way it seems, maybe the recent drafts will decide Dodoroā€™s fate though, if we get nothing from Lav, Lang and Francisā€¦ but the trading is a big difference.

Oh, I agree it is an interesting stat. Iā€™m just not sure what it means either.

1 Like

By points difference do you mean F/S? Or something else?

One thing I was thinking while watching Adelaide, in light of Jbomber and my discussion on failed picks vis-a-vis development. When we convinced Edwards to join us, his other suitor was Adelaide. He then got picked up by Sydney after us. Two of the best (if not the best) recruiting teams.

Does anyone else wonder if Edwards had chosen Adelaide he might be running out on the G next Saturday and be considered a good AFL footballer like Knights, Greenwood etc?

Weā€™ll never know of course, just a thought exercise.

It seems like adelaide do a very good job at tapping into someones mental drive. whether shaunye had that? i donā€™t think so.

For all this talk about drafting both Richmond and Adelaide were nowhere until recent times.

What people fail to recognise is the importance of finding a gameplan that works well with the cattle you have and one that can stand up in finals.

Adelaide has had the players on their list for quite a while but the biggest factor in the way they have performed this year is Don Pyke.

Obviously Richmond has simplified their gameplan also and it has been a lot easier for the players to buy in.

In that regard I think we are on the right path. We have some great top end attacking talent so we need to see through the direction we are going.

1 Like

If those two teams arenā€™t aggressive traders, then they must be average.
And we must be sub standard.

Since 2012 weā€™ve traded/FA brought in Goddard, Giles, Edwards, Aylett, Gwilt, Chapman, Cooney, Dea, Kelly, Stewart, Leunberger, and Green. On the flip side going out weā€™ve also traded out Jenkins, Crameri, Giles, Gumbleton, Carlisle, Ryder, Melksham and Hibberd. If the definition of an aggressive trade is quantity, then weā€™re right up there.

My definition of ā€œaggressive traderā€ would be one making a lot more trades than that OR using lots of significant draft currency to do so. I wouldnā€™t count players leaving unless the club initiates the trade (otherwise Brisbane would be aggressive traders :laughing:). I wouldnā€™t consider us aggressive traders.

Hawthorn and Geelong would be the two clear big ones. Port possibly, although not as much the last few years. Melbourne probably as well.