Adrian Dodoro - Flankers into Mids since 2000 (Part 1)

For what they cost us, they are significantly less risk than a draft pick.

I presume as well you are referencing Smith’s knee and nothing else…

But if you want to talk about risk then you must also acknowledge the risk that many people think Rockliff is a dik like lions did, that Watts is very talented but lacks intensity and motlop continues to play very good games as well as some poor games.

He landed Burger recently too.

Well duh. Part of why I think it was a great set of trades. But people emphasise Ports risks, but downplay ours.

That, and the risk he and Stringer can’t play midfield.

You mean the risks every blitzer adds to every post that references Port? The ones I referred to in my post? Somehow I hadn’t missed them…

Ants, you add heaps to Blitz, and I like debates with you. But you can present as snarky from time to time…

Hasn’t been a part of our conversation…

l don’t rate Watts, never have, a chronic under achiever. l would have been ill had we picked him up. He is the main reason why EFC had a better a trade period than Port. Motlop is at times mercurial, other times he is MIA. His lack of consistency is the second big difference between Port’s trading and ours.

He kicked 4 against us this year :rage: I’ve always rated him in as much as I thought he could become a good to very good player at another club. He has played some high quality football but was never ever going to live up to the No1 draft pick hype. I was hoping we could get him on the cheap 2 years ago but now we would only have room for him as a defender where I believe he’s not best suited.

Definitely not putting him in the top echelon of players or anything. But compared to a pick 30-40 odd in the draft, hell yes. He’s got better disposal than most players in the league (in fact, he’s arguably one of the best kicks into the F50 in the league), a great engine, and has days where he’s a great contested mark (and some where he’s not…). Has had historical issues with body contact and consistency, but much better on the second issue this year. I thought he had a really good year this year until the injury, and his performances up forward and filling in the ruck were critical for Melbourne.

My preferences was to put him on the wing instead of Colyer. Use that engine, ball skill and only has to out-mark guys 10cm shorter than him. Swap speed for aerial ability and beautiful delivery. Put him in a team where he’s 12th fiddle, and I think he’ll be better than most team’s 10-15th players, he was cheap, and Melbourne was picking up part of his salary. And if we did get an injury to Hooker/Stewart, we can plug and play Watts as backup.

Oh well.

2 Likes

One of the key markers holding back Watts has been poor endurance. He struggles to run out games.

Motlop is a Superspud

Port just beat us this trade period by securing Lindsay Thomas.

ducks

Yeah I am not a fan of his either. He is a good when he is on, but he isn’t on very often.

Port did well but they picked up their players via free agency and i don’t count that as trading, just free (expensive free I might add) pick ups. From a pure trading perspective we won by a mile.

2 Likes

Afl.com.au reckons Port want Trent McKenzie too.

Lennon and Batchelor delisted by the Tiges.

Jesus, who dont they want?

Francis, apparently.

6 Likes

That’s a concern when you put it that way

Pretty much anyone they don’t have to trade for

1 Like

Batchelor has played some reasonable footy at times. Pushed out by Grimes and Astbury somehow both being fit at the same time for more than a month.

Port don’t like spending magical fairy dust points. Doesn’t matter if the free player actually improves the team…

But surely youre just wasting a list spot. Why not have a field day at the draft. The draft cant be that shallow

Something a bit ‘Crazy Vossy’ going on at Port at the moment.

6 Likes