Advice on AFL Live versus Foxtel

Hi All.
Been tossing up getting Foxtel for the inevitable squeezing out of FTA telecasting of games. Wondering though if anyone has experience with AFL live? I’ve got an IPad as well as a primitive android phone and want to know whether an upgraded Telstra mobile plan with AFL live would be a good and cheaper option than Foxtel. Thoughts?

I think all Telstra users get a free AFL Live pass. I did anyway. And it’s unmetred too which is good. The only downside is you can only use it on a phone or tablet.

I’m with TPG with a SIM card only so I know I’ll need to pay more to be with Telstra. The coverage and AFL will be a bonus.

Afl pass + android with mirror screen + chromecast = average tv viewing. Analogue/ SD quality.

I have an iPad and can connect it to my TV, quality is SD but it works fine for me. Depends if you are picky and want HD and are willing to fork out for it or whether you can put up with quality that is the same as it was 10 years ago before HD.

I have Iphone and apple tv & NBN
I stream from phone to tv using airplay and mirroring whats on phone screen.
Quality aint too bad not foxtel HD quality, but I can make out who the players are etc, almost as good as channel 7 quality + no ads, only slows down a bit if junior is watching a movie as well on Netflix on ipad.

unfortunately when I use NBN I use data as we aren’t with Telstra for interent. But with internode netlix data doesn’t count and we watch that more than footy.
But can watch on mobile for free if choose too. Due to mobiles being on Telstra.
Need to have a Telstra mobile plan though to get the free app, prepaid doesn’t work. but you can log in to 5 different devices I think.

I don’t bother watching other footy games using app. if they are on free to air I might watch a bit of Friday or Saturday night games, but its not worth the hassle. So if you want to watch every game of the round I would suggest getting foxtel.
if your happy to just the afl live app when Essendon aren’t on free to air its not too bad, and is better than going to the pub.

I think watching footy on phones screens suck, if that’s all you’ve got then u can get by, but ipad is better and tv is a lot better.

AFL Global pass, + VPN (free or paid) = Every game live in HD + Fox Footy shows + Brownlow, draft etc.

For about $130 (??) I think. Currently $98 for a mid season pass.

Illegal streams in order to deny those scummy corporations your hard earned.

I used the international AFL stream last year and it was as rubbish quality as AFL Live is here.

Both are better than nothing, but are laughably bad. Usually 30+ seconds behind play.

AFL Global pass, + VPN (free or paid) = Every game live in HD + Fox Footy shows + Brownlow, draft etc.

I used the international AFL stream last year and it was as rubbish quality as AFL Live is here.

Both are better than nothing, but are laughably bad. Usually 30+ seconds behind play.

Which one of these is correct?

I assume Bloods is recent while Rolo’s is last year.

Which one of these is correct?

Somewhere in the middle. I have a Global Pass thru my EFC $150 international membership. It’s HD, but the stream for some reason can be “stuttery” if you try to mirror it to a big screen. Works fine on a PC screen though.

Isn’t the Foxtel sports package like fifty dollars No comparison

I assume Bloods is recent while Rolo's is last year.

http://watchafl.afl.com.au

I don’t see the word “HD” anywhere on this website. And if there was a real investment in HD streaming why would it only be provided to international users?

I don’t see the word “HD” anywhere on this website. And if there was a real investment in HD streaming why would it only be provided to international users?

You only see the HD button, and choice of 1080p, 720p, 480p and 320p when you actually start the stream. The definition of the picture is excellent - as mentioned above, the problem is that the stream is “stuttery”. Barely noticeable on a PC screen, but not good when you mirror to a larger screen. I’m perfectly happy watching the occasional game on PC - I’ve done this for a couple of years now. Membership $$ go to EFC too.

They would not make this available to local users because they want you to pay for Foxtel. And the poor quality of the stream suggests they have not invested a lot in it!

I watch it for free on the Crownbet app. Streams through the Apple TV so I can watch it at full size as well.

You only see the HD button, and choice of 1080p, 720p, 480p and 320p when you actually start the stream. The definition of the picture is excellent - as mentioned above, the problem is that the stream is “stuttery”. Barely noticeable on a PC screen, but not good when you mirror to a larger screen. I’m perfectly happy watching the occasional game on PC - I’ve done this for a couple of years now. Membership $$ go to EFC too.

They would not make this available to local users because they want you to pay for Foxtel. And the poor quality of the stream suggests they have not invested a lot in it!

The stuttering could be due to the mirroring process, not the stream of the game. I know if I mirror my Mac laptop through my Apple tv it’s stuttery, but fine when movies etc are streamed via AppleTV instead.

If you want it in HD, you need a fast connection, and/or as stated, select it manually.

http://s33.postimg.org/e41uqgjmn/Capture.jpg

Also, as stated here vv, & there^^ it’s not FULL HD, but 1280 x 720, … not 1080i

http://pc.mmgn.com/Articles/how-to-watch-afl-international-streaming

^^ A guide on how to set it up, … but 2 years old now.

Thanks everyone for your advice. My 24 year old son is as impressed by your knowledge as he is disgusted by my ignorance!

1 Like