AFL bias towards rubbish footy clubs (ie. Melb, Carlton)

Now I am by no means saying Melbourne have intentionally done poorly and what they have gotten out of it will drive other clubs to do poorly. But doesn‘t their handling of their footy club over the past few years in particular come under ‘poor governance‘ again?

The double standards from the AFL I find really frustrating, especially for an Essendon fan in the current climate. For our poor governance we get a 2mill fine, draft sanctions, kicked out of the finals, our coach banned for 1 yr, president, ceo, dr, footy manager, fitness staff leaving the club and 6 months of the club being dragged through the mud.

MFC effectively have run a similar program that we did, yet lied to the afl and asada about any involvement with steven dank and got found out. Even knowing this the afl have gone and sourced for them one of the best ceo‘s in the game, their fine for tanking paid off, their debt paid off and money to spend on the most expensive coach in afl history (and potentially another compo pick too).

Just like the fixture, the draft, the salary cap, its another case of one rule for some, one rule for another. It‘s gotta be the most bias competition in world sport that promotes itself as having integrity.

Mind you, im not blaming the MFC for any of this, im blaming the afl for their double standards and lack of fairness depending on the timing of a scandal and the clubs involved in it.

Surely for roos to be taking this job he would of sought clarity from the AFL (the old behind closed doors hand-shake) around 'don;t worry roosy, the investigation on Melbournes sports science program will float into the Abyss mate', just like Carltons tanking accusations. It appears we have copped it all, for actually being a club that isn't a constant blight on the competition, while these other ■■■■ clubs reap the rewards for incompetence.

You forgot to add the AFLPA has rather helpfully supplied info regarding EFC players wishing to walk out on the club to the Age. Just some salt in those very open wounds. Dark days. Fark em.

Demons are pretty irrelevant though, Roos is going to get a gorgeous amount of money but they are a poor poor list.  He'd be freaking mad not to take it, massive kick into his super fund for a mob thats going nowhere.

The sooner we get over the optical illusion that the AFL wants a level playing surface for all teams, the sooner we can move forward. They try all manner of mechanisms to equalize the competition, and if that means brushing the dirt under the rug at certain clubs, so be it. There will be no investigation into supplements at Deeland, as the buck stops at Windy Hill. the club has stopped plenty of bullets in recent time, some of them intended for other clubs. Melbourne would never have survived an ASADA probe, so one will not happen there, unless Dank implicates them big time. 

The biggest worry about Roos going to the AFL, is that Roos probably only succeeded at Sydney because he had some ■■■■■■ good, high paid assistant coaches (including Longmire, Lyon), and an extra 10% on their cap.

Their drafting was never that good - a fair few failed early picks.

Their list was very deep (and still is), because they can always buy guys that other clubs can't justify keeping.

Now I can't see the AFL laying down $2M per on him, then crucifying him by denying him those "fairness" measures at the Demons.

They'll get, at the very least, extra draft assistance and some good assistants bought in. I wouldn't be surprised if they end up with extra money on the cap as well.

The biggest worry about Roos going to the AFL, is that Roos probably only succeeded at Sydney because he had some ■■■■■■ good, high paid assistant coaches (including Longmire, Lyon), and an extra 10% on their cap.

Their list was very deep (and still is), because they can always buy guys that other clubs can't justify keeping.

Now I can't see the AFL laying down $2M per on him, then crucifying him by denying him those "fairness" measures at the Demons.

They'll get, at the very least, extra draft assistance and some good assistants bought in. I wouldn't be surprised if they end up with extra money on the cap as well.

Remember the AFL haven't decided whether or not to give Melbourne a priority pick this year yet...

Must. resist. extra. priority. pick.

must ... resist. 

I should also add, there's an argument to be made that the equalisation measures that do exist, aren't working

Hawthorn, Collingwood, Geelong & Sydney have, with very few exceptions, finished in the top 6 since 2007.

It isn't purely money.

Nor is it draft picks.

Nor is it one bunch of players, as all 4 of those sides have made significant list changes since then.

And 3 of those sides have changed senior coaches, with little or no setback.

Most of the other clubs in the league have gotten up towards (if not into) the top 6 and been down at the bottom through this period - only really Melbourne have been anchored at the bottom.

But those 4 are doing something exceptional, and it doesn't look like changing.

I don't know if that's healthy for the game.

You'd certainly imagine any free agent looking, will look to those sides first & everyone else a fair way down the list.

I didn’t see this before my mini rant in the Roos thread. I agree. I can only imagine the handouts the newer teams will start receiving in a few years time if things don’t go to plan.

Remember the AFL haven't decided whether or not to give Melbourne a priority pick this year yet...

Prority pick + $$$ + the 3 top tier Essendon players of their choice.

"The AFL haven't decided..." LOL

We won't hear anything about MFC's relationship with dank, drugs or anything else untoward.

From this day forth it will all be about resurrecting a proud football club which has had St paul appointed to oversee the transition, and believe me, the afl will ensure he succeeds.

The afl can only handle one scandal at a time and we've pretty much filled that quota for the foreseeable future.

No, I'm afraid as far as melb fc is concerned it's all sunshine and lollipops...

Roos won’t work. His ego + Melbournes list will deny him. He has a lot of work to do.

Roos won't work... He has a lot of work to do.

How will he do the work that he has to do if he won't do it?

It just goes to show that honesty is not necessarily the best policy when dealing with the AFL. 

Look where it got us!!!!!!!  Bad advice and bad tip,  Andrew.

Roos won't work... He has a lot of work to do.

How will he do the work that he has to do if he won't do it?

Seriously bro?

Yes, I was clearly being serious.

I agree with you, for what it's worth.

I meant like him at Melbourne will fail. He has a lot of work to do, but it is too much. And his ego will conflict with the club culture. Hope thay clarifies it :slight_smile:

If i were fremantle i would be furious playing a final at simmonds stadium where the cats have won 43  out of  the 44 last games played there.

I would be demanding an explanation from vlad why the venue was not given the go ahead to play finals there before the season started.

Do it my way or the highway afl dictators.

I knew what you meant, I was just being a facetious smartass in the first post, and then in the second post, I was being sarcastic. Sorry. As I said, I agree with the point you're making.

If Roos really wants to get Melbourne up to scratch quickly, I hear there's this sports scientist going around. He can bring his own fridge.