AFL Commission set to approve trading future draft picks

AFL commission trading future draft picks

All clubs will be allowed to trade future draft picks in this year’s trade period after the AFL Commission approved the move at a meeting on Tuesday.

The decision was ratified by the commission, which was understood to be persuaded by the need to introduce more mechanisms to help lowly clubs rebuild more quickly.

The AFL executive sought feedback from clubs over several proposals for trading future picks before presenting options to the commission. It is understood the clubs overwhelmingly supported the change to extend future trading to all clubs.

The AFL will meet list and recruiting managers on Wednesday morning where the detail of the changes will be outlined.

It is expected there will be a one-year limit on access to future draft picks. For example Richmond could trade next year’s first, second or third pick in addition to a pick in this year’s draft to GWS for Adam Treloar if the Giants felt a pick in this year’s draft alone was insufficient.

The AFL also looked at a form of pick protection to guard against clubs trading a future draft pick and then have an unexpectedly poor year ensuring that pick suddenly became more valuable than anticipated.

The league is conscious of protecting clubs from selling too large a part of their future, and having to step in to clean up any mess.

A bit of a game-changer here in terms of how the trade system can work. I for one think it is a pretty good idea, it should certainly allow clubs to be able to get more deals done, particularly in those scenarios where a club believes a certain player is worth 2 1st rounders. You wouldn’t necessarily need to get a 3rd club involved in the transaction. Not so keen on pick protection, as it further rewards incompetence and also could be an incentive for a club knowing a pick it has traded is protected. Say their season goes belly-up, they could then tank in the back end of the year, ensure their pick falls back into the protected range and they don’t have to forfeit it. Happens all the time in the NBA…

Gaawwwwwd. Another solution looking for a problem. Gotta justify all those ‘fact finding’ missions to the states!
Wankers.

Doesn’t this mean a club could dig an enormous hole for themselves?

Doesn't this mean a club could dig an enormous hole for themselves?

They have limited trading of future draft to the next season only, not 2-3 years in advance as you can in the US. Yes potentially it could, and that’s why there looks to be some form of pick protection in case a side becomes really bad. However if you’re prepared to trade your future in order to acquire a player, then you should wear the consequences if it backfires.

I guess with the pick protection, it depends who gets to set the conditions and what the fallback is.

Mostly I’m looking forward to the insane blitz trade ideas this will now allow.

Gaawwwwwd. Another solution looking for a problem. Gotta justify all those 'fact finding' missions to the states! Wankers.

I’m interested to know what need this is actually addressing.

Gaawwwwwd. Another solution looking for a problem. Gotta justify all those 'fact finding' missions to the states! Wankers.

It’s basically because the new points system lets teams with academies get into future year picks, and other clubs complained that it wasn’t fair, so the AFL expanded it to everyone.

My money’s on Carlton to be the first team to ■■■■ themselves. This year, probably.

Great, so now instead of asking for steak knives we can ask for future 3rd round picks!

Generally against this on the basis of clubs stuffing themselves up, but at least they’ve limited it to one year.

Apart from the elements around the academy, the other driving force is that clubs want to do deals without other clubs. It is slightly suspicious that this deal came in the year Collingwood want Treloar, and would need more than a single first round pick to do it. Allowing the trading of future picks they may be able to package up a deal that GWS finds acceptable without needing to trade out any players for extra picks.

Finally! Add mid season trades too while your at it.

It's addressing a need which arose because of a crap decision they "had to" make earlier this year (some weird random points system for F/S & academy picks where you can actually end up in a worse position if one of your ex players had a gun kid - all to balance out the fact that they've created a monster with the NSW/QLD academies) Which they "had to" make because of the decision they made a few years ago (no-holds-barred NSW/QLD academies) Which they "had to" make because they've forced 2 new clubs into areas where nobody cares for footy. Which they "had to" make because actually being better at anything than the NRL would, apparently, be too hard.

There was an old lady who swallowed a fly…

Soooo… Why wouldn’t you spend two years of picks now, then one year of advance picks every year following? Or aren’t you allowed to drain the next year to zero?

Meh.
To me, it’s just like using credit cards, or saving first.
Draft Credit. Yay.

Soooo... Why wouldn't you spend two years of picks now, then one year of advance picks every year following? Or aren't you allowed to drain the next year to zero?

Well, you’d have to trade them all to someone, so other teams would have to buy into your vision.

Meh. To me, it's just like using credit cards, or saving first. Draft Credit. Yay.

Ooooh, I like the sound of that. How about they bring in possibility of not using some picks this season, convert them into future draft picks, which you can use for trading. Brilliant!!

Soooo... Why wouldn't you spend two years of picks now, then one year of advance picks every year following? Or aren't you allowed to drain the next year to zero?
They'll announce that rule as soon as they make it, which will be about a week after someone tries to use that rule.

Oh, you expected the AFL think of loopholes before they’re exploited?

Worth pointing out, if they just put a cap somehow on the NSW/QLD academies, this wouldn’t be a thing, and F/S rules would revert back to the previous system (which actually worked)
So of course that option was right off the table.

Like an overdraft. Just live off draft credit.

Draft Brokerage.
Maybe they could have a compounding interest of some sort.

Doesn't this mean a club could dig an enormous hole for themselves?

Yes.

I can see the reason they introduced it, but its still a moronic call. clubs have proven over and over again that they’ll gamble everything on chasing the quick fix, and this just gives future Crazy Vossies or halfwitted Terry Wallaces power to screw their clubs over more comprehensively. This is a disaster waiting to happen and will quite possibly kill a struggling club at some point.