AFL Draft 2018 Thread

Those last 7 games stats are pretty damn impressive.

1 Like

Looks as though Richmond are going to take Sydney Stack via that supplementary rule. Could be a steal, could be a bust.

So in the long term will it end up that with the ND and what is now known as the rookie draft at the same time clubs will be much more likely to use this rule like the old rookie draft, and get a bunch of players down to train before signing up those that they like the best?

Or will the RD completely disappear, and rookie lists just become part of the main list, with some variations around contract requirements for new signings. Then this period becomes a “signing period” for unlisted players, ensuring saturation media coverage for months. I can see an ‘enforced’ requirement for every team to take 2 players this way, ensuring 36 good news stories about players getting their chance at the last minute. I can also foresee state and local level teams hating it.

1 Like

Great insight into Giants draft

3 Likes

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/local-footy-sa/sanfl/sturt/sturt-hardman-tom-lewis-vows-to-bounce-back-from-shock-draft-snub/news-story/01c77c5a18e265ca401d64c155066b78

Lewis said he had 10 AFL clubs speak to him prior to the draft, including Essendon, which showed plenty of interest in him late.

Adelaide also was one of his main suitors, he said.

Both clubs have contacted Lewis since the draft to tell him to continue to put his best foot forward and they will consider him in the future.

1 Like

Well that’s a nice paywall G.

Sturt hardman Tom Lewis vows to ‘bounce back’ from shock draft snub

NOVEMBER 27, 2018

“It’s how you bounce back from these things that counts.’’

With those words, unlucky Sturt midfielder Tom Lewis put an end to his rollercoaster 2018 football year and looked forward to proving his detractors on.

Opening up on the pain and disappointment of being snubbed at the draft when he had worked so hard to find an AFL home, the tough midfielder said he would not give up on his dream and would join Double Blues teammate Hugo Munn in having “another red hot crack at it’’ next year.

“Obviously I am disappointed because when you put everything you’ve got into it and don’t find yourself picked it hurts,’’ said the 18-year-old from the south east country town of Meningie.

“But ■■■■■■ oath I’m going to have another crack at it. I’ve come too far and worked too hard to give up on the dream now.

“Sure, I missed out at this draft — and it does hurt — but I have no reason to stop trying.

“Not everything goes your way in life and it’s how you bounce back from these things that counts.

“So I’ll give it another crack and go even harder next year.

“That’s all I can do. I won’t die wondering.’’

Lewis — a key member of South Australia’s AFL under-18 championship-winning team this year — was overlooked at the national and rookie drafts, despite being rated as the State’s seventh-best prospect by Champion Data.

Renowned for his tough, bull-at-a-gate style, Lewis averaged 9.3 contested possessions and 9.5 tackles a game during the national championships.

SA under-18 coach Tony Bamford said he illustrated outstanding leadership qualities, “bleeds’’ for his team and has a body ready to play AFL in round one next year.

He is so professional that he this year kept a diary of his training, eating and sleeping habits.

“At least I can sleep at night knowing that I gave it my all,’’ Lewis said.

The 179cm left-footer’s weakness is his lack of speed but there are plenty of AFL ballwinners who aren’t particular quick, including this year’s Brownlow Medallist Tom Mitchell.

Lewis said he had 10 AFL clubs speak to him prior to the draft, including Essendon, which showed plenty of interest in him late.

Adelaide also was one of his main suitors, he said.

Both clubs have contacted Lewis since the draft to tell him to continue to put his best foot forward and they will consider him in the future.

Lewis said he had spoken to new Sturt coach Nathan Grima at length over the weekend and

that he had vowed to help him continue to chase his dream.

And he said he would work closely with key forward Munn — the only AFL Academy member from SA not to be drafted — to put themselves in an even stronger draft position next year.

“Hugo was ■■■■■■ stiff to miss out this year, I really feel for him, so we’ll try to do this thing together,’’ Lewis said.

1 Like

You mean to say you don’t have a News Corp subscription? I’m shocked!

2 Likes

I choose to believe the redacted words in that article aren’t b.loody, which they almost certainly are without checking, and instead hope he said fuçkin and the newspaper just printed them anyway as they are direct quotes.

2 Likes

Our team was a 1/3rd of the size compared to theirs

1 Like

Great footage

1 Like

But on draft night does that matter? I don’t think so.

Who knows, but it could show our recruiting team isn’t funded like other clubs are

No it doesn’t. It might show that we’ve done or work pre draft night, and have covered off on all the eventualities.

3 Likes

Don’t get me wrong, the team we had did a great job I just hope they are not being spread to thin, that’s all

most of the clubs that had 12 are saying it gave them no advantage and are planning on bringing less next year.

Is it just a coincidence we tend to draft several players in a draft from the same club

This year it was Gippsland
last year - Sturt
Year before Eastern

Thats more of a scouting thing, not having 12 people at a table for 2 days thing.

Where you need the big teams is in having enough scouts around the country to cover junior comps and major leagues.

1 Like

My point is, spotter network aside that’s pretty much our recruiting team.

Are they being given the funding they need? That’s a question I’d like to ask at the AGM.

Because in line with other clubs, our team is half the size of the average

2 Likes