Afl essendon club support

I’m an MCC member but I certainly don’t plan to go to other clubs’ games. F**k them and their lily-livered unprincipled presidents.

Been thinking about this all week and have decided that I will still buy an Essendon H&A game membership next year because I know that all the money goes to my club. I will not attend any games where I have to pay extra (therefore the AFL gets it), e.g. Anzac Day. I'll make sure I have something to eat before I go to any games and a couple of beers at the nearest pub to the G or Etihad. BUT I will certainly take a leak inside the ground and think of AD as I do.

I will not buy any AFL memorabilia, jumpers, jackets, footy records etc. I will visit Windy Hill whenever I can and have a beer there knowing that the money goes to the club. Happy to buy raffle tickets and donate money when asked.

Stopped buying the newspapers 6 weeks ago and those parasitic reporters can join AD and his mates in my berley bucket this fishing season.

I received my afl membership finals brochure in the mail this week. Photos of players from 6 of the final 8 teams were in the brochure. There was no Essendon player - subtle message by the AFL? Usually essendon would be pictured as its one of the larger clubs in the 8.

I have always paid a shitload more for my membership, all the while knowing that if I'd bitten the bullet and changed to an "AFL with club support" membership, I would not only save money, but likely get more benefits (even though I do not attend non-Essendon games).  I have a High Mark membership, with both home and away seats.  It's big dollars for a little earner like myself.  I also pay for High Mark memberships for 2 of my kids (again, with home and away seats).

For me, the decision has always been simple (always... long before any of this drama).  I am NOT an AFL supporter, I am an Essendon supporter.  I want my money to go to Essendon, and I want Essendon to have control over my membership and it's benefits.

I have been wracking my brain lately trying to think of ways to protest against the AFL.  I have considered NOT turning up to away games (where the majority of the money goes to the home club... and of course, the AFL, with very little going to us).  If James Hird is forced to step down (or suspended, or whatever), then I was seriously consider not going to any AFL games at all.  I'll support the reserves each weekend, at whatever local oval they may be playing at, and I'll support Lara.  I have also thought about the merits of not watching football on TV (it's only ever non-Essendon games I watch anyway, and I'm not really that interested in those)... yes I'm only one person, but what would it do to rating (and the value of the television rights deal), if a large portion of Essendon supporters decided to do the same thing?

All in all, what I'm trying to say is, I think that cancelling your AFL membership, and taking out a "pure" Essendon membership would be an excellent way to make a statement.  Be sure to let the AFL know your reasons for doing so too.

It wouldn't do anything if they are not part of the few thousand or so that are selected for Nielsen ratings. 

I received my afl membership finals brochure in the mail this week. Photos of players from 6 of the final 8 teams were in the brochure. There was no Essendon player - subtle message by the AFL? Usually essendon would be pictured as its one of the larger clubs in the 8.

Got mine too. Haven't opened it. Put a line through my address and wrote RETURN TO SENDER. NOT INTERESTED, and will drop it in the post box after brekky. I know this contradicts my earlier post in this thread, but I really can't be farked watching other teams play.

Just got upgraded to AFL full membership this year. Now that i have, i won't cancel, i will just place it on hold. The AFL won't be getting our money for a while.  I had thought about going to Suns game, just to keep my passion going, but not any more. It will take me a long time to get my passion back.

Now that i live in Queensland, this should be easier. I will probably take out a Queensland Reds membership next season.

I will still remain an EFC member.

Similar to many of  you here 3 of us will be ditching AFL club support memberships next year. I will be telling the AFL in no uncertain terms why. We will be getting EFC memberships. Only want my money to go to EFC. F..k up AFL... 

The AFL have lost 2 AFL memberships in my household as well.  They can GAGF as far as I'm concerned.

If you want to ■■■■ off the AFL, turn up on mass to a VFL game (in particular the first VFL finals game). Pack the grounds in red and black. Wouldn’t it be great if more people turned up to a VFL game in Port Melbourne than one at Etihad on the same day.

I will upgrade my membership to include away games also, I don’t want them getting anymore money from me I attend away games. I’ll only buy separate tickets for any games played in SA.

I'm an MCC member but I certainly don't plan to go to other clubs' games. F**k them and their lily-livered unprincipled presidents.

I'm an MCC member & live in Queensland so opportunities are limited. I'll be contacting the MCC to urge there is no extra support for the Demons. I don't know what the current support is but in 2009 the MCC gave them $1million which they have comprehensively wasted. The AFL can pick up the tab. I won't be buying the GF footy record either.

(when I was a kid Noonan was my hero, wore #10 on my jumper standing on a footstool on the terraces at Windy Hill :) )

I'm not sure what these AFL memberships are for so some clarification would be nice.
Do people get these memberships so they can attend our away games? If that's why, surely keeping them and continuing to attend away games is the right thing to do.
No point martrying yourself.

AFL membership gets you into any 40 (or 42, 44) Victorian games for the season, plus week 1&2 of finals.
After a waiting period (probably 5-10 years not sure) you also get a Grand final ticket.
I use mine to get into every Essendon game, at a cost of around $315 a year (concession). $220 membership cost, plus $7 per ticket, you can scan in for free but our games at etihad are fully ticketed and the MCG usually sells all the good seats before the game.
A portion of my membership goes to Essendon, with out looking it up I think it's $138.
Sounds too good to give away to me. You'd be losing so much yourself to send a message that, whilst powerful to us, would be near silent to the AFL.
People need to do what they think is right, I reckon. If they think giving away their AFL membership is right, then do it. If they think what they lose is too much then I agree.

Personally I'd love to send a message to the AFL and not renew. However it is by far the cheapest option for good seats (level 1, wing) and after 4 years I can't see myself leaving the queue for full membership.

Have no issue with people hanging on to their AFL membership but if you can afford it, buy a club membership as well. I'm pretty sure they have limited game memberships which would not be expensive but would add to our membership numbers. That to me would send a stronger message to the AFL.

Guys, I have been an AFL and AFL Club Support member since 1980, however, in light of all the AFL has been doing to us during the past six or so months I'm seriously considering dumping this membership and taking up one directly with the EFC.  

I would value any thoughts/comments you may be able to afford me as to whether or not this would be a good move and what type of EFC membership would be best to offset my AFL Club Support membership.

My son and I will be doing that this year - no renewals for you Vlad the Impaler. Stick that in your fish n' chip old newspaper wrapping with salt.

Will take a family package next year directly if there is such a thing.

As a 30 year Essendon member, I chose to surrender my full AFL membership (which I had held for 20 of those years as an Essendon Club Support member) and took up a High Mark membership when Hirdy returned to our club as coach. I preferred to show my support for the new direction of the club through direct membership. I would encourage any current AFL memebr to consider whether you want all your hard earned to go fully or only partuially to our great club. The benefits you receive as an AFL member have been diluted over the years e.g. access to a grand final ticket and still having to buy reserved seats for many Essendon games. The AFL as an entity has lost my support through their disgraceful handling of this whole issue and I am so glad I have already chosen to demonstrate my support of our club directly.

I am an AFL member but get counted as an EFC member as well with them being nominated as my club.

I have considered scrapping my membership which is full membership - however it took me about 15 years to get full membership.

The membership gets entry to away games as well as all NAB Cup and most years I can get a GF ticket if wanted. And guaranteed if Essendon make it,

I was going to do it but thought that long term - Demetriou will go soon and I am still supporting EFC with this membership. I have a 1yo son and am thankful he will never remember this saga and look forward to taking him to games with me and signing him up. I’ve not had him anywhere near the footy - the crowd abuse this year is disgraceful and something the AFL need to work on.

I'm not sure what these AFL memberships are for so some clarification would be nice.
Do people get these memberships so they can attend our away games? If that's why, surely keeping them and continuing to attend away games is the right thing to do.
No point martrying yourself.

AFL membership gets you into any 40 (or 42, 44) Victorian games for the season, plus week 1&2 of finals.
After a waiting period (probably 5-10 years not sure) you also get a Grand final ticket.
I use mine to get into every Essendon game, at a cost of around $315 a year (concession). $220 membership cost, plus $7 per ticket, you can scan in for free but our games at etihad are fully ticketed and the MCG usually sells all the good seats before the game.
A portion of my membership goes to Essendon, with out looking it up I think it's $138.
Sounds too good to give away to me. You'd be losing so much yourself to send a message that, whilst powerful to us, would be near silent to the AFL.
People need to do what they think is right, I reckon. If they think giving away their AFL membership is right, then do it. If they think what they lose is too much then I agree.

Personally I'd love to send a message to the AFL and not renew. However it is by far the cheapest option for good seats (level 1, wing) and after 4 years I can't see myself leaving the queue for full membership.

Have no issue with people hanging on to their AFL membership but if you can afford it, buy a club membership as well. I'm pretty sure they have limited game memberships which would not be expensive but would add to our membership numbers. That to me would send a stronger message to the AFL.

The AFL memberships with Essendon nominated count towards EFC members tally

Will take a family package next year directly if there is such a thing.

There certainly is, at all levels (Bronze through High Mark) :)

Advice from the club would be nice. There’s a thought Paul Little, if you want the gloves to REALLY come off then send out a pamphlet illustrating ways of supporting EFC over the AFL. This would include things such as merchandise, pay tv packages, bringing food/drink, memberships. We are a major revenue raiser for the AFL and could really hurt them in this area.

I will upgrade my membership to include away games also, I don't want them getting anymore money from me I attend away games. I'll only buy separate tickets for any games played in SA.

nah em, just know people that have forked out heaps of cash for Adelaide Oval tickets........that's what i'm doing...

thanks mum, thanks dad lol

Advice from the club would be nice. There's a thought Paul Little, if you want the gloves to REALLY come off then send out a pamphlet illustrating ways of supporting EFC over the AFL. This would include things such as merchandise, pay tv packages, bringing food/drink, memberships. We are a major revenue raiser for the AFL and could really hurt them in this area.

There is no way the club is going to come out and say something like that (not publicly anyway).  It has to come from us.

The sentiments and intentions I'm seeing in this thread are very encouraging.  Stick with it.  Once the initial anger has died down, never forget the way we've been treated this year, by an organisation that (in theory) is there to protect us.