AFL - Terrible Ideas, Too Many Ideas, No Idea…

If they reduce game length or season length the value of the broadcast rights drops. They won’t do either without replacing that value so until the women’s game or aflx does that expect no other change

You don’t like SMJ’s suggestion of a State of Origin option? I love it but would want a bit of pride in the jumper- no Allies please.

Over two weeks 4 teams in each of A and B divisions (perfect with 6 states and 2 territories), play 2 matches each, winner of 1st match plays other winner, loser plays loser. Winner of both in A is National Champion and hosts it next year. Winner of both in B goes into A next year. Loser of both in A is relegated but hosts B championships next year. Don’t let the Big V down!

I’d prefer East vs West.
But it will never happen.
The flag is just too big a prize.

Reducing the number of games to 17 from 22 is essentially a 25% reduction.

Reckon AFL wouldn’t wear the loss in revenue this would involve, nor would TV rights be worth as much, as well a the reduction in exposure for corporate sponsors who for sure would seek a reduction in dollars contributed.

By reducing the amount of footy by 25% what about the players? Pay cuts should logically follow - if a worker goes from a 5 day week to a 4 day week, then they can’t expect to maintain the same income level.

Plus with a 25% cut in games played, then where is the need to maintain lists of 40 plus rookies? More cut backs here?

1 Like

I think the fall in revenue would likely be very small both for the league and the players. It will be the fans who pay by getting less value for their dollar. People would ■■■■ and moan sure but I’m the end their passion will govern their decision making and the league will shamelessly exploit that at every opportunity. It’s the way the world works. It’s why there is a Star wars movie every year

1 Like

I think the whole point of it was as an implied threat:
“Reckon we’ve stuffed the game with rule changes now? WATCH THIS. Any complaints? Thought not”

1 Like

They’re talking about taking it to Hong Kong now. What a colossal waste of money. All aboard the Junket train!

2 Likes

Yes but it’s very very important to ‘grow the game overseas’ for reasons that have never been explained to anyone

1 Like

Reckon there is a market overseas in Tasmania!

4 Likes

uhhhhhh revenue?

Too bad no one outside of Australia actually likes this game.

Gillon, pls.

1 Like

Meanwhile, In addition to the mess in Tasmania, some country leagues in Victoria are in revolt at Gill’s proposed arrangements. But they don’t generate TV revenue.

1 Like

Hong Kong was always likely to be on the radar seeing they enjoy abbreviated forms of different sports - Rugby Seven’s, Cricket sixes and now AFLX.

Fine take the ammos over and get some of their expat mates as ringins

Does it really need much explanation? The economics of it are surely obvious?

Because, I’m Gillon McLaughlin and AFLX is going to make me a legend in my own undies.
Hooray for me.

1 Like

Of course I understand the theory, but there’s no way it applies in this case.

1 Like

pre-game activities - is that code for clowns and acrobats?

Clubs will list four emergencies each week this season when submitting their team line-ups, allowing for more options in their group of reserve players.

In another change under the AFL’s new football operations manager Steve Hocking, the League has outlined to clubs they will need to list four emergencies – up from three – for every game.

An AFL spokesperson confirmed the introduction of the extra player means clubs should not have to pick a player from outside the named group of emergencies, which had happened at times in the past when there was a limit of three emergencies.

The League sent a memo to clubs last month detailing the change, plus other rule tweaks for the season.

Included was the abolition of the pre-game warm-up. Aside from just prior to the first bounce, clubs will no longer be able to warm up as a team on the ground before a game.

It is in a bid for the League to host more curtain raisers and pre-game activities at venues .

The change will impact clubs differently, with each team having slightly different pre-game preparations in previous seasons.

Some had chosen to have a lengthy warm-up well before the game, while other teams, like Essendon, had done theirs closer to the bounce then returned to the rooms briefly before coming out to start the game

Another rule change to solve a problem that doesn’t exist.

6 Likes