AFL - Terrible Ideas, Too Many Ideas, No Idea…

I think it’s pretty funny, Warne calling Aly a cretin. (cretan)
I wonder if he looked it up in a dictionary first.

1 Like

He also said he’s a traditionalist and would go back to the VFL if he could.

Aly also mentioned the general supporter base have contributed to the process.

Storm in a teacup.

1 Like

The AFL, previously VFL, has in the past changed rules to encourage the game to be played in a certain way; Gordon Coventry benefited from this for most of his career.

imagine calling someone an arrogant cretin when you’re shane ■■■■■■■ warne

4 Likes

So Warneeeeeeeee is a dickhed bogan racist??

Who would have guessed? :roll_eyes:

1 Like

And here I was thinking Waleed had Egyptian blood.

I’m glad Seven didn’t pick him up. I’m at the point where it doesn’t matter how astute his cricket comments are or how good he is at reading the game, I just can’t see past what an absolute imbecile he is. The less I see of him this summer, the better.

3 Likes

Pretty sure neither Waleed nor his family is from Crete.

5 Likes

i think you mean “cretan”

2 Likes

Hopefully the stretch faced douche gets a visit from the “Cretan” Mafia, …

Some more surgery might even improve that freaky fked up dial.

How is Warne’s comment racist?

You’re right in that the comment itself isn’t racist. However BSD is just playing the percentages.

3 Likes

The process in the end is the same. Nothing changes from what it was into what it has become.

That’s a pretty good adjective for Shane. I don’t even know he would, what that means without consulting a dictionary. Me either…

AFL floats radical draft changes

23 August 2018 — 6:32pm By Jake Niall

Talking points

OPTION 1
Picks 1-10 in usual order.
Picks 11-22 alternate between top-eight teams and bottom 10 teams. (pick 11 = 8th place. Pick 12 = 18th)
Picks 23-26 go to teams who finished 12th, 11th, 10th, ninth.
Picks 27-28 go to the grand finalists. This order continues for the rest of the draft.Picks 21-28 go to the finalists. Order remains the same for the remainder of draft.

OPTION 2
Picks 1-10 in usual order.
Picks 11-20 go to non-finalists in reverse ladder order again.

The AFL has floated alternative models for the draft that would see the non-finalists given significantly better picks than the top eight teams.

The AFL has shown clubs two different systems that would see the bottom 10 sides given the lion’s share of draft picks in the first 28 selections.

AFL boss Gillon McLachlan and Steve Hocking are concerned about the lower clubs.

Photo: AAP

Both models would be annual, with no qualifications, and would redress the issue of lower teams only having one pick in the top 18-20 selections. Clearly, they have been floated - very hypothetically - as a result of concerns about free agents and mature players going only to contenders and strong teams.

While these radical models might not be introduced - and are unlikely for 2019, partly because of the future pick trading - that they have been put forward to the clubs demonstrates that the AFL is willing to change the current draft system to one that is skewed towards teams outside the finals and lower on the ladder.

Under the first model - which is unlikely to be in place even for 2019, though it has not been ruled out - the top 10 picks would remain in the current format of reverse ladder order, with selections 1-10 going to non-finalists. The eighth-placed team would receive pick 11, then the bottom side would receive pick 12, the seventh team would receive pick 13 and the 17th side pick 14.

Under this “alternating” model, the order of selections (after No.11) would continue to alternate - pick 15 to the sixth side, pick 16 to the 16th club - until pick 23, when the 12th placed side would have the choice, rather than the losing grand finalist. Teams that finished 11th, 10th and 9th would follow (picks 24, 25 and 26). The top two sides would end up with picks 27 and 28.

This order would continue for the whole draft.

Under the second model, the non-finalists would have all 20 of the first draft picks, in reverse ladder order, with the top eight filling picks 21-28.

So, instead of the 8th team getting pick 11, it would receive pick 21, while the wooden spooner would get picks 1 and 11, the 17th side picks 2 and 12, and so forth.

This system - the “10-10-8” draft model - would also continue for the entire draft, through to the last picks.
These models were presented to clubs at the recent retreat of AFL officials and the club chief executives and it was shown, briefly, at the competition committee meeting chaired by Steve Hocking. They were presented by AFL’s head of competitions and player movement, Josh Vanderloo.

It is understood that the feedback was divided, but that the alternating model - which is less harsh on the top eight sides (excepting the grand finalists) - seemed to have more acceptance.

The purpose of displaying these models was to encourage a discussion about the future of the draft and of a system that gives the lower sides more assistance. If a system of this ilk was introduced, obviously there would be no need for priority draft picks, which would cease.

Sources said these models were unlikely to be considered for 2019, because the clubs could not trade 2019 selections this year without knowing the system. But some kind of change to the draft has not been ruled out for next year and is clearly on the agenda for the future.

The academy and father-son bidding is another complication, given that it involves “points,” which are used to move selections down the order. There is also an argument that the academies and next generation academies have compromised the draft already and given some lower teams less access to players.

AFL boss Gillon McLachlan has been concerned about the time it takes clubs to rebuild from the bottom and of the impact of free agency and trading on lower teams. He mentioned that the English Premier League had lost television rights revenue in the last deal, in making the argument to CEOs that the poor teams could drag down the financial health of the competition.

Yet again they look to address a problem from the wrong angle. Is the suns and the blues real problem the lack of top end draft picks? I mean really?

Option 1 is aweful enough and Option 2 is a disaster. You can finish 8th on percentage only and 9th place would 2 picks before your first, your first pick would be 21 and that’s assuming no academy picks.

Poor teams drag down the revenue of the competition? Not as much as poor ceos

3 Likes

Someone must of laced the coke with pcp

6 Likes

Theoretically it would give them more trade assets and also give the top clubs incentives to trade out players for picks.

It would be easier to just lower the mandatory cap payments for lower clubs.

F
M
D

4 Likes

why is “Good ideas” part of the thread title? Can someone fix this? @theDJR ?