AFL - Terrible Ideas, Too Many Ideas, No Idea…

I don’t mind four days of footy either.
But hopefully they don’t do it through the bye rounds. It really stretches out the games.

Of course it’ll be during the bye rounds.

You’ll also notice that’s the time when media start saying the game looks crap, is boring and rules should change. When there is no scandals, they’re forced to actually speak about the game.
Then about a month later when there are more meaningful games, they turn and say there is no need for rule changes.

I like Thursday night games, just wish they didn’t compromise the Sat and Sunday time slots when they play them.

The Saturday 2:10 will be the one to go in flavour of Thursday night. It’s the only game that crosses over (Saturday night notwithstanding).

That’s it. I used to love the traditional Saturday afternoon slot for most games, but it’s becoming all about the tv timeslots. The silver lining will be that VFL and local footy will get plenty of attention.

2 Likes

What annoyed me so much last year was our VFL games often either directly clashed or overlapped with our AFL games. I love going to watch the VFL, especially when we’re at Windy Hill, you’d think if they had some smarts they’d ensure that these games didn’t clash.

3 Likes

Weird time for a football match. Do you have to sit in the sun?

6 Likes

Do the new kick in rules mean there is no such thing as stepping over the line anymore?

5 Likes

Dare i say i there’s actually some decent ones in there.

No more hands in the back

Connor will be stiff thinking about the prospect of just getting the ball and taking off without needed the kick to self

3 Likes

Guess not. Too late for BJ, Conor will love it though.

2 Likes

I think the ruck taking the ball not being prior is a very bad idea. There’s going to be some really dour play toward the end of close game if the ruckman can grab it and let himself get tackled.

The hands in the back rule is going to be a farce for the first few weeks as people figure it out, and the arguments about whether something was a hold or a push are going to get boring very quickly.

7 Likes

I also really like being able to play on while the 50 is being measured out.

1 Like

If I heard right, … they’ve finally brought in what I’ve been saying for 5 fkn years re Buddy et al’s “Natural Arc”.

Take all the arc you want, … but kick OVER THE FKN MARK!

5 Likes

Yay.

Agree. They do seem to penalise that ruckman as soon as he’s touched. He should be given more than the 2 nanoseconds currently applied. But not the full 1080 degrees of the Judd or Ablett or any Collingwood player playing against Essendon.

1 Like
  • When defenders mark or receive a free kick within nine metres of their own goal, the man on the mark will be brought in line with the top of the goalsquare.

Is this just expanding what allows you to take a set shot from directly in front?

THE CHANGES

Traditional playing positions at centre bounces

• Clubs must have six players inside both 50m arcs, with one player inside the goalsquare.
  • Four midfield players must start inside the centre square with the two wingmen stationed along the wing.

via GIPHY

Kick-ins

• At kick-ins, a player will no longer need to kick to himself to play on from the goalsquare.
  • Following a behind, the man on the mark will be brought out to 10m from the top of the goalsquare, rather than the existing five metres.

via GIPHY

Marks and free kicks in defence

• When defenders mark or receive a free kick within nine metres of their own goal, the man on the mark will be brought in line with the top of the goalsquare.

Runners and water carriers

• Team runners may only enter the playing surface after a goal has been kicked and must exit before play restarts.
  • Water carriers are not permitted to enter the playing surface during live play.

Umpire contact

• Players will be prohibited from setting up behind the umpire at centre bounces.

50m penalties

• The player with the ball:

• Must be allowed to advance the mark by 50m without the infringing player delaying the game.
    • Will be able to play on while the 50m penalty is being measured out.

Kicking for goal after the siren

• A player who has been awarded a mark or free kick once play has ended:

• Will now be able to kick across their body using a snap or check-side kick
    • BUT must kick the ball directly in line with the man on the mark and the goal.

Marking contests

• The 'hands in the back’ rule interpretation has been repealed so a player can now:

• Place his hands on the back of his opponent to protect his position in a marking contest
    • PROVIDED he does not push his opponent in the back.

Ruck contests: prior opportunity

• A ruckman who takes direct possession of the ball from a bounce, throw-up or boundary throw-in will no longer be regarded as having had prior opportunity.
  • Where there is uncertainty over who is the designated ruckman, the ruckman for each team will still be required to nominate to the field umpire.
2 Likes

I think it’s just stopping the situation where the defender has to kick from over the behind line.

2 Likes