AFL - Terrible Ideas, Too Many Ideas, No Idea…

Back-pedalling you say?

8 Likes

Jesus ■■■■■■■ Christ. Why do this, WHY!!!

2 Likes

Why do what?

These changes. They’re utterly moronic.

They reduce interchange rates so the game slows down and as a result play gets more congested. Then to fix congestion they introduce 9 new rules!!!

After one of the most even seasons ever!

4 Likes

Is it me or should these rules have been. Announced either before trade season or after the draft?

2 Likes

The new rules seem pretty minor. Most clubs start with a 6:6:6 combination, or one spare off the back. Don’t think it will change much at all.

Of the others, the hands in the back rule and a bit more room to kick in are likely the most significant.

1 Like

I believe I have ascertained the logic:

8 Likes

Yeah this. Do they need to wait for the goal umps flag waving to finish to at least give a chance for the forward to get back on the mark?

What if it hits the post and they catch it in the square? Can they just turn and bolt?

1 Like

Same.

And I hate the rolling back of hands in the back. That rule played no small part in the return of the big forwards to the top of the goalkicking charts, and has also IMO led to the rise of the intercept marking defender too, as sides had to work out a better way to beat them fairly.

Now we’ll go back to having 6’2” scabs like Leo Barry and Campbell Brown hanging off the full forwards’ back again and shoving them.

Crap change.

5 Likes

Ugh.
So they’re not just not banning the shepherding the man on the mark, they’re actively promoting it?
Closer and closer to gridiron.

1 Like

The game is getting more congested mostly because players are fitter and can more often, flood backlines/fwd lines… reducing interchanges likely to make congestion worse. Rules changes are fine - they’re mostly getting rid of rules rather than introducing new ones anyway

Does anyone remember how “preseason” used to involve a marathon race that ‘Tuddy’ would win and then he would keep running after he crossed the finish line, and an umpires’ race where they would run backwards for 100 metres.
Seriously boys and girls, that is what life consisted of back when milk was tuppance and a loaf of bread was left on your doorstep each morning.

Even with dwindling returns, the big forwards have always been up the top.

Think the AFL has missed a couple of really good extra rule changes. Introduce a round ball like basketball, add another post between the goalposts but back near the fence. Put a ring with a net on it and if the attacking team kicks the round ball through the goals and it goes through the ring, you score an additional 10 points. As you will all realise, I’ve spent many many hours considering these additional changes - about as many as the AFL has spent with its new rules.
LEAVE THE ■■■■■■ GAME ALONE!!!

5 Likes

Light the ring on fire and you’ve got me onboard

1 Like

Kicking for goal after the siren

• A player who has been awarded a mark or free kick once play has ended:

• Will now be able to kick across their body using a snap or check-side kick
    • BUT must kick the ball directly in line with the man on the mark and the goal.

Can someone explain the above? How the hell do you kick a snap for goal directly over the man on the mark? Are you allowed to take 3 steps to the left of the mark (kicking with your right foot) then take a three step run up and kick directly over the mark towards the goal?

Add a golden snitch!

2 Likes

There’s a few more Grundy-type rucks that have good skills… giving them more opportunity to use those skills out of the ruck not all bad…

The 9 new rules are going to ■■■■ our game up royally!

The 9 new rules are ■■■■■■■ our game royally already.