AFL - Terrible Ideas, Too Many Ideas, No Idea…

Strong agree with all three of these lads.

Ok so the AFL is flush with cash, but what are they supposed to do? Give these clubs money so they can pay players? Exact same problem 12 months later, plus you then have neighbouring clubs kicking up a stink because they’re now losing players to AFL-funded clubs.

Caller on the radio the other day told of a club that has <10 kids turning up to Auskick, and the club up the road having 200+ and there should be some sort of system to distribute participants equally. “Nuh-uh” says I. Sounds to me like that second club is doing something right and the first club should have a look at what that is.

It’s more that the AFL controls all the money in the game. The issue with AFLX is why are they wasting money on something that it almost everyone agrees is doomed for failure when they could be using their cash to support grassroots footy and in this case country footy.

The problem is by constantly diluting your grassroots level they are moving the sport towards an elite level participation model only - very similar to the NFL model. As pointed out above they have completely ripped out the pathway from going country footy to AFL and replaced it with the underage pathways program. So basically what we have is huge numbers of kids doing Auskick, from which the best progress to rep teams and then into the elite underage competition without needing to spend much or any time at club level. This pathway mode serves the AFL well by producing elite players but the collateral damage is local clubs.

In my view under their charter as the custodians of the sport they are not serving in the sport’s best interest by only focusing on the pathway to the elite level. While it might be some time off, you could end up with few local leagues and everyone else just focussed on watching AFL rather than participating themselves. Footy clubs and other supporting organisations have been the backbone of many communities for long time, so the loss of these footy clubs has a far reaching effect on communities.

Therefore I’m calling the AFL out on not doing the right thing by the sport. If it was my say there would be a certain percentage of revenue the AFL earns that must go into grassroots footy - this would be a separate pool of funds used for Auskick and talent identifaction. This structure would ensure that viable clubs remain so. There is always going to be issues with changing demographics but you can’t just do what they are largely doing now and completely ignore the local clubs. I believe the local clubs play a huge part in making Australian rules the sport that it is.

10 Likes

It’s probably been mentioned in this thread countless times I CBF going back to check but if any of our lads gets an injury no matter how minor playing in this gimmick I will personally take a dump on Gil’s doorstep
It serves no purpose for any teams development or the individuals playing
I’m sure there’s no way any players are going into it 110% as there is nothing on the line and that’s where things go pear shaped

Just get it over with & give our players back so we can focus on the top four when ■■■■ gets real

Now I’m conflicted
Generally want no injuries but a mild corky suffered tonight has a potentially newsworthy outcome.

Will there be clash colours for the LED boards?

1 Like

I zoomed in:

10 Likes

There’s already a heap of cash pumped into Auskick. I had a look on the website, picked out a random location and found that I can register my hypothetical child for $100 for 16 weeks plus they get a footy and a backpack and some other crap. That is insanely cheap for junior sport, and there’s no way in hell $100 per participant covers all associated costs.

I’m not trying to argue against your point here, I’m all for finding an answer to it as well. But what can the AFL spend money on in grassroots territory to actually ensure sustainability of clubs that cannot find/attract/recruit sufficient players?

Well done but how’s Hurls supposed to see that from 90 metres away?
He’ll get confused and kick it down the guts and then where will we be?

On the other hand Brian Taylor has a 50/50 chance of understanding what it means, so I suppose that’s an improvement.

Some of the things the AFL could spend money on at communuty level footy - other than supporting Auskick - include:

• significantly reducing insurance costs - especially considering JLT their preseason comp sponsor provides insurances for clubs and players.

• reducing the admin burden on clubs, lessening the reliance on volunteers. They have tried to do this by putting in regional management structures but this is at odds with clubs in many instances. I’m suggesting some sort of financial reward/payment for an admin staff member at each club - on the basis of an application process

• ensuring that community club revenues are supported more by the AFL - for example getting players out to do community nights that can be used as fund raisers.

• looking at the tv schedule to avoid having community club matches up against AFL games. In the UK there is no live tv broadcasts at 3pm which ensures local clubs still get supporters turning up. In the US college and high school matches have their own time slots. Compare this to the AFL which basically try to play a match for every single waking minute each week.

• providing free coaching courses for anyone who wants to coach - there should be no cost involved to become an accredited coach

I’m sure there are numerous other things the AFL could do to support local footy. These were just a few off the top of my head.

13 Likes

This is really important and should be where money goes. You could also add to this list assisting clubs find alternative revenue streams to curb their reliance on Pokie venues

1 Like

This. :+1:

1 Like

Just reading a rule change article and it’s the first I’ve read about defenders who take marks or get free kicks within 9 metres of goal having their marks set in line with the top of the goal square.

I suspect this will not have the impact they’re hoping for because it could reduce the opportunity for the quick fat side switch and instead turn everything into a kick out with a spread zone.

Can’t wait for the first defender to get called for playing on when actually he is moving to where his designated mark is.

Though I suspect they are trying to reduce the kick to kick that can happen from bank pocket to bank flank with modern high press styles of play it seems to me to create a whole set of unnecessary complications for marginal benefit and may actually slow transition down. It also disadvantages strong clearance sides.

I can’t recall reading this in the original set of rule announcements. Did i just over look it? Or have they jammed it inby stealth after the fact?

Mate, you’re 140 or so k’s away. You basically live in the burbs now.

2 Likes

AFLVic, AFLNSW and AFLQLD are all essentially run by the AFL.
Not sure about Tas.

1 Like

I didn’t realise their tentacles spread that far. Does that mean that little 14 yo kids in country towns can get busted by ASADA for drinking the evil peptide milo on match day?

1 Like

Remember when Fletch was banned from going to his kid’s U12 training?

1 Like

Yeah it’s bizarre. I’m sure milo would fly under the radar but I’m sure there’s plenty of kids out there snorting steroidal nasal sprays for hayfever with no idea whether they would be legal or not.

Keen to see Thursday how all these new rules will affect the game.

Some rules over the years feel like they’ve caused more issues rather than improving the game though all in all I think most have had positive results.

Someone like Shiel having more space available in the middle to burst out of the packs can only be a good thing.

Here is hoping that the AFLX ratings are so poor, that it dies… and quickly.

Getting back to the LED boards, is there a rule that says they must be used?

2 Likes

Grow or die… AFL has been the top sport in Oz for so long because it is the best spectator sport (subjective I know) amongst its traditional sporting competitors.

But increasingly it’s got to compete with computer games, youtube, twitch and other mindless dopamine hits to attract a younger audience… Aflx isn’t meant for your hardrcore footy followers… it’s for the next gen brought up on sugar hit entertainment.

1 Like