AFL - Terrible Ideas, Too Many Ideas, No Idea…

Cerberus approves.

Sit tight be confident.

That 6-6-6 rule actually isn’t the worst if only on centre bounces.

The issue being brought up was how something similar would be applied to any stoppages that occurred around the ground / time to reset etc

As people seem to indicate though if trying to protect a lead it will be a mad sprint for the fwd line players to defence but better that than 36 players behind the half way line at the bounce.

As does Iron Maiden.

Six, Six, Six The Number of the Beast.

3 Likes

The 6-6-6 also will make it harder for teams to setup with a spare in defence. That helps mitigate one of our weaknesses.
18m goal square would help us with another weakness as well.

Regardless of helping our weaknesses, if they only made those changes, plus they reduce the interchange, i’d be happy with those changes. Better than trying to have zones at all stoppages.

I worry that the morons are still talking about mid season trades.
I’d accept a mid season draft of it was limited to state league players and 1 player per club.
Mid season trades is crazy

4 Likes

I hate the mid season trade idea

Affects lower league teams who’ve signed marquee or structurally important players.

And not really a fan of clubs looking to trade based on the dynamics of their list management failing across the course of the year. It is an art of sorts.

2 Likes

I didn’t need much convincing. Scrap the whole thing!

Whats the big deal if 6-6-6 is just at centre bounces?

1 Like

Yeah nah

…or including 30cm in front of the D50 arc

1 Like

The umpires will soon be ■■■■■■■ off the “designated sprinting players from inside 50 to the contest” if they have to keep recalling lousy bounces.

2 Likes

“I am not a back six number, I am a FREE MAN!!”

4 Likes
1 Like

When the umps remember to enforce it, the zoning in the VFLW is somewhat comical. Forwards sprinting to and from the 50m arc depending on whether a stoppage occurs, or not. No “resting” of players in the forward line!

As noted above, this limited proposal is kinda pointless, given that 1) it is only at centre bounces and 2) it is very rare to see a team start a bounce with more than eight defenders. It’s just something to further distract umps from their core job and to antagonise crowds.

1 Like

Fixed

2 Likes

im not sure what that will fix?- teams already basically set up like this, with maybe 4 or 5 players in the 50 at the centre bounces.

seems like window dressing to me

The 50 metre arc at the SCG is about one full stride from the centre square, if all the players, forwards and backs and wingman hit the line as the ball is bounced there could be 36 players within 10 metres when the ball hits the ground.

5 Likes

CONTACT. WING DEFENCE.

7 Likes

No, the SCG is a more standard length now — 3m from legit 50 arc to the centre square. With Subiaco gone, Kardinia Park is one of the few oddities left nowadays.

For those that are saying ‘big deal’ it’s the thin end of the wedge.

It’s bollocks that current players coaches and officials are involved.

It’s just buck passing to have this group endorsing any big changes.

Just about done with it as a sport, it’s really just entertainment now.

2 Likes

The fact there is a committee and people employed to investigate what is “wrong” with football is what is wrong with football.

13 Likes