AFL in NSW: Sydney Swans... 32 years

I started checking with some NSW friends about how AFL is viewed in Sydney.  

Interested in your thoughts.  Especially any Essendon Blitzers from NSW

In 1982 Sydney Swans was an "expansion team"    you would have to say that by now,  Sydney,  with a catchment of 3 million+ people ,  ought to be a very very strong club.

I dont see this.   They still require special consideration,  like they are still an expansion team in fledgling stage.

So how long will it take? 50, 75, 100 years?

Is AFL played at any of the schools in NSW?

You need to edit your thread title !

Better give them a few compo picks to go with their NSW academy.

Yes,  you are right .  Can I do that ?

MOD,  its a bit embarrassing,  can one of you fix this for me ??   2014-1982=32  not 42 argh.

I moved to Sydney 4 years ago. Just in that small space of time AFL is becoming more popular. It's far more popular here than NRL is in Melbourne. 

The swans have a lot of supporters but they don't have the same culture of attending matches.

bring back leanne

Fixed.
An ellipsis only has three dots.

AFL as a league? Or Aussie Rules as a sport?

It's 33 years of South in Sydney.

'AFL' is not a sport...

'AFL' is not a sport...
Exactly, it ■■■■■ me to no end how the AFL have highjacked the game of Aussie Rules

As a junior footballer in the days of zoning I was zoned to South Melbourne. They will always be South Melbourne to me.

bring back leanne

Perhaps they need a new Capper.    ( sorry, Buddys shorts are just not tight enough)  Buddy cannot take a speccy,  because he cannot "jump".   If they give Buddy a pink helicopter ,  they might be part of the way there. However,eventually any wizard comes out from behind the curtain and you realise he is just a man.

Fixed.
An ellipsis only has three dots.

So now we know Riolio is a computer programmer.

I am going to complain to a Mod about bltn,  Its about truth in advertising.  seductive picture,  resides in the hot chicks thread.  I was ready to send a PM,  and decided to check the profile.  bltn ,is male and he is 44 years old.  Now that means I would have to totally re-word that PM I was planning to send.     :lol:

bring back leanne

Perhaps they need a new Capper.    ( sorry, Buddys shorts are just not tight enough)  Buddy cannot take a speccy,  because he cannot "jump".   If they give Buddy a pink helicopter ,  they might be part of the way there. However,eventually any wizard comes out from behind the curtain and you realise he is just a man.

Don't know about a new Capper but whorethorn certainly tore them a new crapper.

I moved to Sydney 4 years ago. Just in that small space of time AFL is becoming more popular. It's far more popular here than NRL is in Melbourne. 

The swans have a lot of supporters but they don't have the same culture of attending matches.

Spot on.

People don't go to things in Sydney.

I was going to post a similar topic around "is the growing the game a worthwhile venture for the AFL" with a focus on this very thing.

Sydney Swans are, according to Roy Morgan Research, the highest supported AFL team in Australia.  Of course, if you have a major city of 4m+ people with a choice of 1 or 2 teams and you survey people in that city, of course they are going to say Swans.  It's the same reason the Melbourne Storm are the most supported NRL team.  People pick them as their team, doesn't mean they actually follow the team or the game.  So this stat to me means jack ■■■■.

Same goes for highest rating Grand Finals - Channel 7 will tell you, all of the highest rating Grand Finals involve the Swans.  The fact is, they are the highest rating Grand Finals because it is the only time people from Sydney tune in to watch.  Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth people will watch it anyway.  So again, this stat means jack ■■■■ to me.

AFL, in Sydney, only averages an audience of 40,000-50,000 TV viewers for non-Swans games.  In a city that big, it's pathetic.  Brisbane is equally disinterested.

Growing the game is a crock.  Sydney have been in place for 32 years and the game hasn't grown the game.  All they have done is created a supporter base within a city.  Growing the game should be about people watching the game because they enjoy the game, regardless of the team.  That just isn't happening.  32 years is enough time for most of that population to dip in and decide whether or not they enjoy AFL as a sport, and it seems no, but they will watch the Swans if they are doing well.  Likewise GWS won't grow the game either, all they will be is another small cluster of supporters.

Well if "growing the game" isn't "attracting fans in new markets", then what is it?