AFL make rules on the fly again

Other rule changes not within the AFL article posted

In a series of pre-Christmas rule changes, clubs were told:

• THERE will be a stricter interpretation of deliberate rushed behinds.

* PLAYERS won’t get a free kick for high contact if they drop their knees or raise their arms to make a legal tackle illegal.

• PUNCHES to the stomach will have a “stricter interpretation”, meaning players are more likely to cop a suspension.

• JUMPER punches with minimal impact will attract a fine.

• THE match review panel will be given the power to recommend a sanction to clubs involved in large melees or multiple breaches in a single season.

• CHARGES of engaging in a melee and wrestling will be merged to further discourage repeat offenders.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/luke-hodge-has-labelled-the-afls-decision-to-abolish-the-third-man-up-rule-as-ridiculous/news-story/893e03a1a8415079acc291047d0c8160

Fantastic!

Unless you’re Joel Selwood.

I despise the 3rd man up.

Yep, I like the rule change.

What other sporting codes have.a “rules committee”?

* PLAYERS won’t get a free kick for high contact if they drop their knees or raise their arms to make a legal tackle illegal.

• PUNCHES to the stomach will have a “stricter interpretation”, meaning players are more likely to cop a suspension.

• THE match review panel will be given the power to recommend a sanction to clubs involved in large melees or multiple breaches in a single season.

• CHARGES of engaging in a melee and wrestling will be merged to further discourage repeat offenders.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/luke-hodge-has-labelled-the-afls-decision-to-abolish-the-third-man-up-rule-as-ridiculous/news-story/893e03a1a8415079acc291047d0c8160

Fantastic!

Unless you’re Joel Selwood.

I figure he’ll just leap into the air now and draw a free for tripping.

What other sporting codes have.a "rules committee"?

NBA, NFL, European soccer…

Fantastic!

So how will Joel Selwood get a kick now?

Happy to give him one in the nuts if that’s what it takes.

One thing they could fricken enforce is blocking a forwards run at the footy.

JD gets mauled every week, do that at a ball up and they ping you for a free

shouldn’t we be calling them ruckpersons, not ruckmen anymore? i just think it’s the right thing to do.

shouldn't we be calling them ruckpersons, not ruckmen anymore? i just think it's the right thing to do.

No doubt the SJW feminazis would/will be up in arms when a commentator refers to an AWFL player as a ruckman

shouldn't we be calling them ruckpersons, not ruckmen anymore? i just think it's the right thing to do.

No doubt the SJW feminazis would/will be up in arms when a commentator refers to an AWFL player as a ruckman

She’s a good ruck, will be the nice way of putting it.

He may well be a good ruck too.

No need to be man or woman specific.

Agree entirely, but I’d imagine for seasoned commentators the natural way of referring to them is likely to be gender specific lol

No other sport in the world changes its rules so often

Rucker.
If a female rucker has kids she can be a motherrucker.

I don’t like seeing the word ‘the umpire will interpret if’ particularly for the head high thing.

They can’t get it right now when there are 4 of them.

Some will get away with it. Essendon won’t.

What are you basing that off? NBA has had more significant rule changes in my life time. Cricket has taken decisions away from umpires and introduced an appeals system, added in power plays, free hits etc.

* JUMPER punches with minimal impact will attract a fine.

Don’t know about this.
I reckon ‘jumper punches’ should be treated just like any kind of punch.
“Oh, your Honour! I didn’t actually hit him, it was the jumper…”!

What are you basing that off? NBA has had more significant rule changes in my life time. Cricket has taken decisions away from umpires and introduced an appeals system, added in power plays, free hits etc.
Not real cricket.
Not real cricket.

Ropes and reviews are pretty big changes.

As for these ones, I don’t mind them.
I’d like the raising arm one explicitly stated though, not if the umpire feels like considering it.

Rucker.
If a female rucker has kids she can be a motherrucker.
Good thing you haven’t got a lisp.

Third man up removal is a return to common sense…and means that clubs will now actually start to recruit ruckmen again (after following Grant Thomas’ idiocy for so long in not doing it).