AFL now EFC's landlord at Docklands

AFL purchases Etihad Stadium for $200 mill

Pants down, bums up, prepare to be shafted

Couldn’t we host games at our Airport home ground?

Bring on the legal eagles…time to re-negotiate the deal big time.

I do remember a long time ago, mid 90’s there was a very rough plan for Essendon to build a new stadium at Essendon Airport to replace Windy Hill before that as part of the Melbourne 96 Olympic bid they were going to build a stadium at the Showgrounds where Essendon & Bulldogs would play

Bring on the legal eagles..time to re-negotiate the deal big time.

One can only hope

Graham McMahon & the EFC board at the time has a lot to answer for

Essendon should have never left the MCG

Our deal there was already pretty favourable being the first tenant club, hopefully now since we have been doing as we are told we will be able to better it.

Will certainly be a happy day for WB, North & St Kilda whose deals are rubbish there.

I do remember a long time ago, mid 90's there was a very rough plan for Essendon to build a new stadium at Essendon Airport to replace Windy Hill before that as part of the Melbourne 96 Olympic bid they were going to build a stadium at the Showgrounds where Essendon & Bulldogs would play

Think i remember that too now that you mention it.

That’s a good price.

Now let’s get out of that place and move to the MCG like a proper big club.

Interesting development, wonder what this means for our deal there, we still had 9 season left. Will this impact on our 4/7 home game split with the MCG? I have my doubts.
Not so sure the AFL will want to let us out of it and go shopping around with the MCC, when it will now directly affect their books if we start playing less games at a stadium they now completely own.

I don’t doubt there is potential for us to play more games at the G, but I’d suggest that will only occur when it suits the AFL.

“Essendon wins the toss and will kick to the Fitzpatrick end.”

That's a good price.

Is it?

The AFL could buy for for $1 in 2025, so they will be wanting to make up the $200 mill somehow

Need to move back to the MCG ASAP

State government must have give an indication of the development plans.

I think it’s time we played the G and Etihad off against each other again! A bumper season, huge crowds and they will be begging us to stay at Etihad.

Wouldn’t be a good look if you buy a stadium and your number one crowd and $ tenant leaves. Ouch.

That's a good price.

Is it?

The AFL could buy for for $1 in 2025, so they will be wanting to make up the $200 mill somehow

They buy a working stadium with guaranteed revenue for ever in a prime part of the city for $200m and you don’t think that’s a good purchase?
Our deal there was already pretty favourable being the first tenant club, hopefully now since we have been doing as we are told we will be able to better it.

Will certainly be a happy day for WB, North & St Kilda whose deals are rubbish there.

There was a clause in our contract with the stadium that no other club could get a better deal, and if they were then we must be offered the same. Will that still be the case?

$200 million is a lot cheaper than i was expecting. Thought it would be at least triple that

"Essendon wins the toss and will kick to the Fitzpatrick end."
"Essendon wins the toss and kicks Fitzpatrick's end."

We’re prob not going to be able to move back but if we can negotiate a home game split of 6 at MCG and 5 at Etihad instead of currently 4 at the MCG that would be perfect.

None of the big newspapers or afl.com.au have run with this story. I read it on Facebook as well but seems its not official yet.