AFL now EFC's landlord at Docklands

None of the big newspapers or afl.com.au have run with this story. I read it on Facebook as well but seems its not official yet.

Fox Sports are running it.

Our deal there was already pretty favourable being the first tenant club, hopefully now since we have been doing as we are told we will be able to better it.

Will certainly be a happy day for WB, North & St Kilda whose deals are rubbish there.

There was a clause in our contract with the stadium that no other club could get a better deal, and if they were then we must be offered the same. Will that still be the case?

Almost certainly, unless we didn’t do our negotiating properly.

The AFL will be pretty keen for us to stay at Etihad, so I’d be reasonably comfortable we’ll do ok out of this if we stay.

Of course, I’d personally much prefer we went back to the G.

"Essendon wins the toss and will kick to the Fitzpatrick end."
"Essendon wins the toss and kicks Fitzpatrick's end."

Essendon wins Fitzpatrick, the toss, and kicks ends"

I do remember a long time ago, mid 90's there was a very rough plan for Essendon to build a new stadium at Essendon Airport to replace Windy Hill before that as part of the Melbourne 96 Olympic bid they were going to build a stadium at the Showgrounds where Essendon & Bulldogs would play

There was also a plan (late 80’s iirc) for the showgrounds to be renovated, then have us and the dogs play our games there.

Dont mind etihad but its no G. Also no royal near it. THE NIXON? Yeah, ■■■■ off.

Negotiations? We’ll play exactly where the AFL tell us to play. There wont be any negotiations…

We ain’t getting our bond back.

"Essendon wins the toss and will kick to the Fitzpatrick end."
Did you mean - up his end?

Well I guess in the end I’d rather be EFC than Melbourne Victory

Never found good food in the “outer” at Etihad. At the G theres a really nice venue called “The Paddock” even GA members of the Grog Squad can eat there, Etihad is cold and draughty, the one good thing about Etihad is the roof.

Its not a Fox scoop anymore. Just went up on the AFL site.

Reading some of the articles, the current owner was supposed to upgrade the stadium before the 2025 handover, so they will save a shitload not needing to do that now while the AFL is wanting taxpayer money for tweaking stuff outside the stadium

The joint is pretty run down now, needs new HD scoreboards, enclose the outsides to reduce the wind tunnel inside, replace the roof with a glass roof like ANZ Stadium in Sydney is going to do

Who is going to pay for all this or will it just become a second Waverley, an old rundown dump

Hope they scrap the Centre Wing/Medallion Club and give AFL Members some walkup Level 2 access as their first order of business for next season

Reading some of the articles, the current owner was supposed to upgrade the stadium before the 2025 handover, so they will save a shitload not needing to do that now while the AFL is wanting taxpayer money for tweaking stuff outside the stadium

The joint is pretty run down now, needs new HD scoreboards, enclose the outsides to reduce the wind tunnel inside, replace the roof with a glass roof like ANZ Stadium in Sydney is going to do

Who is going to pay for all this or will it just become a second Waverley, an old rundown dump

Hope they scrap the Centre Wing/Medallion Club and give AFL Members some walkup Level 2 access as their first order of business for next season

Stuff the AFL members, what about the EFC members ?

So for arguments sake you are an AFL member with EFC support, why should those with that be shut out?

So for arguments sake you are an AFL member with EFC support, why should those with that be shut out?

Sure, pick the membership type that offers you value for money based on what you want to get out of footy.
Sorry, I am really only interested in the EFC and I can watch finals on TV, which is quite enough relative to my interest in the other clubs.
Is that surprising ? This is an Essendon related social media site .

To say it is “pretty run down” is a massive overstatement. What’s wrong with it?

It doesn’t have exposed, weathered wooden bench seats like Waverley and it’s not in a rain belt, so it’s way ahead in the regard. Every stadium needs continuous improvement to stay relevant, but I don’t think it could be described as run down just yet.

With a new landlord, contracts will be redrafted so clubs can maximise revenue streams. Profit margins will fluctuate according to attendance but financially clubs will be less reliant on AFL handouts. It’s likely Essendon will receive a bigger slice of the pie now too, ie. whatever agreement tenant clubs have in place will be the same across the board.

Best news is that Victory will now be playing it’s games at AAMI park, much better atmosphere. Too bad now the finals won’t be in a bigger stadium.

Frankston Dolphins finished, but YES let’s spend $220m on a stadium we can get for one single farking dollar in less than 10 years, and why not throw another million at sting for a GF performance nobody gives a **** about

GOVERNANCE

To say it is “pretty run down” is a massive overstatement. What’s wrong with it?

It doesn’t have exposed, weathered wooden bench seats like Waverley and it’s not in a rain belt, so it’s way ahead in the regard. Every stadium needs continuous improvement to stay relevant, but I don’t think it could be described as run down just yet.

I particularly agree with the wind tunnel comment. It would not cost much to fix this. The cold prevailing south west winds blow in massive holes at ground level on the docklands side. These need to be closed off on game day and opened up for ventilation for the ground surface if required. This would increase the comfort levels inside the stadium a lot.