AFL Team Salaries

This has become a really interesting topic that has shifted a little…

I think it’s really odd that we’ve been trained to think that what we earn is really really private and should never be discussed publically in a work place.

The only people that benefits are the employers. It certainly doesn’t assist employees in any way.

I understand that it is at best crass to talk about how much money people have and earn in a social setting, and I geuss that there’s been a conflagration of the two situations, but for most of us wage-slaves the reason we go to work is to get paid. If I do a job that 8 other people do equally well, and I knew that I was getting 30% less than the next least paid team member, I’d be pretty unhappy.

There was a really interesting UK reality tv show a few years back where they decided to ask everyone to write on a notice board what they got paid.

Do yourselves a favourt and check it out.

Think Portable Mink is missing the lack of action in the NHL thread.

I don’t think it should be published what the players earn but I would be keen to see total player payments. Given hawthorn has 5 veterans and part of their pay sits outside of the cap, and those veterans are still the best on their list, it’s fair to assume they get a fair advantage from that and are paying well over the cap.

But the other part of that is would you want “people” like paul connors knowing how much cap space your club has?

I bet Paul Connrs would down to the last dollar all about Clubs salary situation

Knowing how much a public servant or anyone on the government’s (read tax payers) payroll is on might be justifiable, but footballers who are employed by an essentially private organisation is none of our business.

People within the organisation need to know for salary cap purposes and such, but as a member of the public, it’s not for me to know.

How much money is each blitzer earning?

but isnt the club running the club for the members?
thus the members have a right to know whether people are effective at their job?

I think we can tell if they are effective at their job, but we don’t need to know their salary. Should it be that all employees of the clubs have their salary published then?

Knowing how much a public servant or anyone on the government's (read tax payers) payroll is on might be justifiable, but footballers who are employed by an essentially private organisation is none of our business.

People within the organisation need to know for salary cap purposes and such, but as a member of the public, it’s not for me to know.

They are not private organisations, they are owned by the members and the members have a right to know how their money is being spent on the most important expenditure.

Imagine the club came out and said were building a new training facility and it’s going to cost in the millions but that’s all we are telling you. Nobody would approve it.

IMHO all player, coach and department headcontracts should be published in the annual report for all clubs.

So too with leadership of the AFL, and the amount paid to player agents.

but isnt the club running the club for the members? thus the members have a right to know whether people are effective at their job?

I am with Mink on this one.

I don’t need to know the exact amount- but i think as members we have the right to know roughly what someone is on per year.

For instance if the club said Hurley for 2017 will earn between 650k-750k depending on matches played, bnf placement, AA selection etc then i am cool with that

If the players are constantly wanting more and more money from tv deals etc- then i don’t see why we can’t know their salaries.

Knowing how much a public servant or anyone on the government's (read tax payers) payroll is on might be justifiable, but footballers who are employed by an essentially private organisation is none of our business.

They are not private organisations, they are owned by the members and the members have a right to know how their money is being spent on the most important expenditure.

Imagine the club came out and said were building a new training facility and it’s going to cost in the millions but that’s all we are telling you. Nobody would approve it.

IMHO all player, coach and department headcontracts should be published in the annual report for all clubs.

So too with leadership of the AFL, and the amount paid to player agents.

I think this covers a different area from players salaries, and maybe you are right, but I just think individual players salaries shouldn't be disclosed. The OP wanted to know for reasons of free agency and player management, but I'm not sure that's a need to know for the general public.
I think we can tell if they are effective at their job, but we don't need to know their salary. Should it be that all employees of the clubs have their salary published then?

Maybe yes. We are paying for it.

I think we can tell if they are effective at their job, but we don't need to know their salary. Should it be that all employees of the clubs have their salary published then?

perhaps. not AS important given there is no cap to that kind of spending.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/afl-players-salaries-should-be-made-public-says-nathan-grima/news-story/5af79d5cf4c6a64203ecbe9c1718cc56

One opinion with some support.

I just know that as members we employ people in our club. that is officials and players.
for players there is a maximum that all players can earn combined.
We can judge players for their value by how they play, represent the colours on and off the field and also their salary.
We can only judge officials in charge of list management by knowing what players earn and how they fit into the cap.

Have we missed out on players in the past because we were overpaying others?
Have we lowballed players who have left when we think they were worth what they were asking for?

These questions and more can be answered with the right information. I know that my Washington Capitals GM for 10 years was horrible at his job and finally he was fired. Far too late in my eyes. We are completely oblivious to some information which would allow us to support key staff managing OUR team.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/afl-players-salaries-should-be-made-public-says-nathan-grima/news-story/5af79d5cf4c6a64203ecbe9c1718cc56

One opinion with some support.

I just know that as members we employ people in our club. that is officials and players.
for players there is a maximum that all players can earn combined.
We can judge players for their value by how they play, represent the colours on and off the field and also their salary.
We can only judge officials in charge of list management by knowing what players earn and how they fit into the cap.

Have we missed out on players in the past because we were overpaying others?
Have we lowballed players who have left when we think they were worth what they were asking for?

These questions and more can be answered with the right information. I know that my Washington Capitals GM for 10 years was horrible at his job and finally he was fired. Far too late in my eyes. We are completely oblivious to some information which would allow us to support key staff managing OUR team.

The opposite point could be put forward as well.

Have we kept key players by paying unders and others not knowing?

This whole judging each person on the EFC payroll though is a bit silly. Where do we stop? We also pay caterers, cleaners, electricity providers, telephone companies, stationery suppliers etc…

Yes members have a big say but that’s why we have a board who control it all and we can voice our opinions to them and vote them out if we think they are doing a bad job.

Printing all this information has benefits to us but also the other 17 clubs as well, which pretty much means everyone will have the same advantage and disadvantage. Back to square one.

We might also have a special department which we don’t want to be made public. Not an injection regime but perhaps a sports psychologist or maybe a new fangled thing which gives us an advantage.

we dont have to fit those other people under a cap. thats the difference. we can judge a caterer on how they cater, a cleaner on how they clean etc… how we do judge a list manager without the information required.

whatever comes under the cap, whatever the list/cap managers have to consider, should be public imo.

There are some countries where anyone can look up each other’s tax returns. So there is definitely a wide set of views on whether this information should be private.

It would make it interesting seeing how Sydney fit any players other than Buddy in. Also how Geelong can fit in any players other than Dangerfield, Selwood and Hawkins.

Public Servants salaries are not private. Directors and Senior Staff of Publicly Listed Companies have their salaries in Annual Reports.

Australia is about the only place I know where many get really precious about how much they are paid.

I hate all secrecy, and all my Staff know where they stand relative to everyone else.

You should go to France. People would die rather than discuss such a sordid subject. Or house prices.

You a cop?

this ruined me. haha.

Peter Lazer: 1,000,000
Michael Hurley: $2