AFL - Terrible Ideas, Too Many Ideas, No Idea…

I like the roof open. If it’s a sunny day it’s a huge shame to sit there in the dark.

Yeah it effects some spectators view, like every other outdoor stadium. If you want a perfect view of every moment then stay home and watch it on TV.

Day games at Docklands are basically unwatchable on tv is the sun it out. This is a good decision. However it merely covers up is a massive design flaw in the stadium running north south rather than east west as most other stadiums do.

Wouldn’t N-S be better than E-W for the players so that the sun isn’t shining in their eyes in the evening?

Works ok at the MCG. Since the northern stand was built the sun hasn’t been an issue for players. I do recall prior to this that when kicking to the Punt Road end in the last quarter you might have some sun issues.

Good move AFL. Nothing like prompt reaction to a problem. The stadium’s only been operating since 2000!

4 Likes

The AFL only does prompt reactions to problems that don’t exist.

5 Likes

Having a roof at an AFL ground is silly in the first place imo, for cricket it makes sense but playing to the different weather conditions, whatever they be, is part of what makes footy great.

On a sunny have about half ground in sun, half in darkness - and players regularly getting blinded by the transition.

The stadium was built in the “wrong” direction so to maximise the sun on the grass. The relative narrow opening of the roof meant with the angle of the sun there’d be even less sun if built in the tradition direction.

2 Likes

Don’t know about that, but it’s better for grass to grow with the poor way it’s designed and the relatively small hole the open roof leaves for Sun penetration.

An E-W config basically leaves near half the ground in shadow for the bulk of the Winter, whereas orienting it as they have, just leaves the North end in darkness at this time of year.

So about 20% of the turf gets absolutely no sun verses 40%. in E-W.

Edit: Pipped!! :open_mouth: Yeah, … as RBP said.

So just like every other outdoor stadium with a grandstand then.

1 Like

*surrounded by high rises

ok firstly yes I’m sorry for reading unhinged doors and quoting part of it here…
but I have a question:

If the bunker system for goal reviews isn’t fast-tracked into the 2019 season …
then there is genuine fear now that a result in the finals series will be compromised.

Can someone explain to me how the bunker system would help things? Isn’t it still ultimately someone sitting in front of a TV screen looking at replays and then making a decision?
And don’t the NRL still have heaps of controversy with their bunker system anyway?

Quick question, and this maybe efc not the afl, but why was a RHCP song playing as the team went off the ground on Thursday and not the club song?

Cos we saw Giants “give it away”?

1 Like

Can probably have better trained officials and more consistency with outcomes because a smaller group of people can review every game. No need to have people in each state or have to fly officials out for games. Just a guess though.

1 Like

They get paid 250 per game?

Peanuts for what you’d have to put up with if you make a ‘mistake’.

As is often the case the problems facing the AFL are of their own doing. The score review system was brought in to avoid any obvious errors. As soon as the video reveals any doubt - play on. Stop this watching of countless replays. If the technology used is inadequate to make a clear decision, don’t make the decision, play on.

Also, who gives a toss if the ball touches a flag on the way through between the posts? Or, why are the goal umpires flags on the posts? (I know where they could put them but that may cause even more controversy.)

1 Like

Same reason I guess that we came onto the field and ran through the banner to RHCP before switching over to the club song?!

I am just glad they played it after we won!

Playing the African cover version as the repeat after the win was somewhat surreal. But so had been the result, so it worked.

3 Likes