AFL - Terrible Ideas, Too Many Ideas, No Idea…

Current update.
Over 150k tickets sold and sales still going strong.
Just over 50k of tickets to those coming from interstate
Hotels near capacity and airfares just went up again as capacity nears.

4 Likes
7 Likes

Andrew Dillon fielding the journo inquiries on concussion litigation. He’s the AFL legal supremo.
Not Gil’s job.

Travis Auld, Kylie Rodgers, Bendan Gale, Andrew Dillon & 2 others mystery people banded as the final 6 in the search for Gills replacement per Tom Browne

pinhead

sales pinhead

richmond successful pinhead

lawyer grub pinhead

THE BOX THE BOX

13 Likes

Oh the irony…

The AFaiL ad ‘Time to Fly’ has INXS song ‘Don’t Change’ as the score.

@Aceman

Shouldve waited 3 more days to post that

1 Like

Hmmm.
Two divisions, twenty week home and away, play everyone in your own division twice plus two interdivisional games during the season where you play the team in the same ladder position.

Three weeks pre-finals to reduce 10 teams to 8 and settle positions in the final eight.

Top of my head.
Probably rubbish.
You don’t have teams missing out on playing a lot of football if you finish near the top, and twenty games is probably enough for fans of bottom five sides from each division anyway.

Tassie is a bad idea but at least it’s got a kitsch charm that people are getting behind.

“Oh, a club that’s smaller and worse than Port? Sure. What the hell, have a go”

2 Likes

Can’t see it happening even though Norwood has some pretty wealthy backers.
I think most Norwood members including myself aren’t interested in joining the AFL especially as it wouldn’t be the real Norwood.
WA3 will happen before SA3 happens and the only way I can see Norwood playing in the AFL is if we go to 2 or 3 divisions and somewhere in the future Norwood get promoted from Div2

5 Likes

Nowadays that is correct but for most of the history of the SANFL Norwood has been as big of not bigger than Port and just as successful. Norwood regularly had more members and larger attendances than Port in the SANFL.
I agree though that it’s a stupid idea now.
Originally it should have been Port and Norwood who joined the AFL but thanks to Port backstabbing the SANFL they had to cobble together the Crows quickly and we ended up with them instead

1 Like

I think if expanding in footy areas that already have clubs, the only way to do it now is via an existing club from that state and not a new AFL franchise. Otherwise they’ll start off with zero support and building off a base of nothing when there are already other options, is really stupid (see gws).

Personally I’d like to see Canberra or if not w.a3 as team 20.

N.T is the dumbest suggestion I’ve ever heard and it shows how clueless the footy media are that they keep suggesting it. It’s the equivalent of putting a team in Toowoomba population wise, but even worse, because Darwin is 5 hours from Alice springs.

ftfy

2 Likes

Why is it dumber than a Tasmanian team?
Either crowds matter or they don’t.

1 Like

There is a bit more to it than that.
It wasn’t handled well by all parties including the SANFL which has made many mistakes over the years

Oh, I’m sure there was a lot more to it.
But it was mostly the SANFL being arrogant tossers.
Acting like Port betrayed them is friggin’ stupid. Someone was going to jump. Could have even been Norwood, but someone was going to do it because what was the other option?

Just arrogant and very, very stupid.

My father was involved with the committee at Norwood during that period and all 10 SANFL clubs including Port voted to stick together and not enter the AFL until 1992 at the earliest as they could see that some VFL clubs were on the verge of folding and the SANFL clubs believed they would gain more bargaining power and favourable entry conditions. Then a few months later the SANFL found out that Port despite voting not to enter until 1992 had been speaking with the VFL and had reached an agreement to enter in 1991. This forced the SANFL’s hand to cobble together a license for a composite team and after numerous court cases the Crows were given the license but the SANFL in their stupidity had to cough up exorbitant license fees and gave up what bargaining power they had.
Obviously we will never know but it was a real sliding doors moment and many still maintain that of Port had held off until 1992 as the promised it probably would have been 3 or 4 SANFL teams enter the VFL and several VFL teams would no longer exist.

2 Likes

I have several issues with a lot of that, but the point remains that, yes as you said, the SANFL tried to screw the AFL for a better deal by holding back and then the very…very obvious happened.