AFL - Terrible Ideas, Too Many Ideas, No Idea…

Whatever they believe will make it a better spectacle and thus get more eyes on screens and people at the games is what they will do

AFL must be the only sport in the world that keeps farking with the rules for $$

1 Like

NFL says hi

I’ve been saying this for years - AFL staff should never ever ever be allowed to watch American professional sport.

3 Likes

Look at soccer. They hardly ever fark with the rules, they barely score which makes goals super valuable, yet billions across the world love it.

Great spectacles in sport is not always about action action action action…!

3 Likes

Must admit I’m not a follower of NFL

Rule changes a plenty is there?

Yes the mid season draft push and free agency and all that has come American sports it seems.

They want to speed the game up, not slow it.

Since it’s the afl, players not getting into position quick enough will be penalised with a free against. Players would soon learn to cover each other if one runs forward. But it does take away a potential spectacle of players running foward in waves

Or let Demitriou and his cronies go over there on their junkets in the middle of the season , 10 or so years ago, for their ‘fact finding’ tours of the NBA and NFL.

All they’ve done since then is try to apply what works in a population of 300+ million to our relatively miniscule population in a corporate sense using the sport to feather their own nests…and it’s worked a farkin’ treat for those crooks.

2 Likes

Jobe Watson said it best

6 Likes

Ribena berries? Bouncing about?

Memberries.
South Park.

Do you 'member?
Don’t eat the memberries.

1 Like

This one is going over my head!

1 Like

Just reflecting back in Hocking’s interview some more. He admits that there has been some great football played in recent weeks. He highlighted our game against North and Max Gawn’s performance on the weekend. So clearly he is a had empty glass guy and thinks something needs changing even when admitting things aren’t that bad.

Such crap from the AFL. Looking at it another way could argue if they unwound all the crap rule changes over the last 15 years, reduced the bench back to 2 and got rid of 4 teams there would be no problem and everything would be fine!

1 Like

I realise that, it wouldn’t be the first time the AFL has introduced a rule which has had the opposite effect to that desired.

3 Likes

Just when I thought I couldn’t love that man any more…

1 Like

'member how good the game was?
'member one on one contests?
'member players kicking a hundred goals in a season?
'member how fast and tough it was?

Don’t eat the memberries.

3 Likes

Basically every rule they touch causes another issue. Leave it the fark alone.

4 Likes

Look it up on you tube, it is a brilliant tweet by Jobe.

Iirc correctly the Sydney Ross Lyon designed congestion game plan had its genesis in the league trying to speed up the kicks in.

1 Like

Yeah. There’s already about eight billion rules and they are constantly getting redone. But because there are so many rules the changes don’t really have much effect. Won’t stop them from tinkering though.

If nothing else it creates fodder for media outlets to help the league drive brand awareness for free

3 Likes

It will be pretty simple, its a (minimum) of 3 players in each forward 50 at stoppages, so you can still have an extra back if you choose. Personally i think it should only be for boundary throw ins, kick ins and after goals these starting points. It being for every stoppage is a bit excessive but overall starting points will definitely improve the game in my opinion.

It won;t even be difficult to umpire either. Basically the players have on average 15 seconds from whistle to boundary throw in and 8 seconds from whistle to the ball thrown up. Gives time to get back in the 50 arc but you’ll find it will also just mean players stay close to the 50 therefore spreading the field. An umpire stands on the 50 ensuring by the time the ball is bounced or thrown back in each team has minimum 3 players in the 50s, if not a free kick against the team that didnt. I really don’t see it as a big deal, people won;t even notice it after a while other than the decrease in 30 players within 50m of the ball.

Note: my opinion on all this changed when i went to pre-season training and saw essendon playing the modern way, it was boring as all hell every player in the 50 at the other end of the ground. These changes will be positive you’ll see skilled players excel and return of the tall forwards and players running with the ball.