AFL to trial names on jumpers

AFL teams to trial player names on the back of jumpers in 2014

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/afl/afl-teams-to-trial-player-names-on-the-back-of-jumpers-in-2014/story-fnia3v70-1226814162507

THE AFL is about to break with more than 100 years of tradition by allowing players to have their names on the back of guernseys.

The league will trial having names on team uniforms between Rounds 3-6 this season.

The push for better identification of players has been led by expansion clubs Greater Western Sydney and Gold Coast, with strong support from North Melbourne.

Former Giants coach Kevin Sheedy has been an advocate of the move for a number of years.

"It's called common sense," Sheedy said. "There's a market here and on the Gold Coast where we need to promote our talent."

The merchandising potential of having your favourite player's name on your back has generated billions of dollars in sales around the world.

Soccer, basketball, the NFL and the NHL all have players' names on their uniforms. AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou has been a supporter of the innovation.

Fortunately for the AFL the proposal comes well after Robert DiPierdomenico has finished playing, but Swans utility Lewis Roberts-Thomson is set to provide a headache for manufacturers.

The use of numbers on the back of guernseys was introduced during the VFL finals in 1911.

The semi-final that year between Carlton and Essendon was the first game in which both teams wore numbers on the back of their guernseys.

Don't hate it.

Sponsors are taking up real estate anyway, and there are times when you're wondering, 'why doesn't someone get on that 37 ■■■■■■■.'

Would help fans with sledging, too.

Harry whatever is going to change his name to a different cause every week

Harry whatever is going to change his name to a different cause every week

Round 1- Harry 'I support gay marriage' O'Brien

Round 2- Harry 'Don't say mean things to me, I had a bad experience' Lumumba

Round 3- Harry 'I am a farking tool and don't know it' O'Lumumba

I could go on. 

Hate this.

This is an old quote from an old Artie, the afl is just trolling us.

And there’s no way you can make out a name from that distance if you can’t see a number.

First line of the article sums it up, history down the toiltet.

BRING BACK WHISKAS!

What happens when players with the same name play with/against each other? Do they need clash names?

What happens when players with the same name play with/against each other? Do they need clash names?

Never thought of that.

There's two Josh Kennedy's and two Tom Lynch's. Awks..

LOLZ. Perhaps Harry or fricken Heritier or whatever his name is can take master classes ;)

ls6iH8X.png

Just another step from Valad to turn the AFL into the NFL.

Personally, I hate it. Have always been a fan of the simplicity of just having a number on the back and always thought that it was a great tradition.

I care about this particular thing less than I do about most AFL related things.

thoughts? im not a fan

PLAYERS are set to wear guernseys with their names written across the back during the early stages of this year’s home and away season.

The innovation will reportedly be trialled from round three to round six.AFL.com.au reported last July that the idea was gaining strong support among the League’s executive.The following month, AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou told ABC Radio that he was keen to see players’ names on jumpers.Demetriou said he believed such a move would help the game increase its following in New South Wales and Queensland.“I’m actually enthusiastic about it but I keep getting the arguments against it, which I don’t buy,” Demetriou said.Former Greater Western Sydney coach Kevin Sheedy has led the charge for names to be added to the backs of jumpers.

it is believed that the Giants and fellow expansion club Gold Coast are strong supporters of the concept.

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2014-01-30/trial-for-names-on-jumpers

thoughts? im not a fan
PLAYERS are set to wear guernseys with their names written across the back during the early stages of this year's home and away season.
The innovation will reportedly be trialled from round three to round six.AFL.com.au reported last July that the idea was gaining strong support among the League's executive.The following month, AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou told ABC Radio that he was keen to see players' names on jumpers.Demetriou said he believed such a move would help the game increase its following in New South Wales and Queensland."I'm actually enthusiastic about it but I keep getting the arguments against it, which I don't buy," Demetriou said.Former Greater Western Sydney coach Kevin Sheedy has led the charge for names to be added to the backs of jumpers.
it is believed that the Giants and fellow expansion club Gold Coast are strong supporters of the concept.
http://m.afl.com.au/news/2014-01-30/trial-for-names-on-jumpers

Can they wear long shorts and basketball boots as well?

AFAIL at it again.

doesn't bother me, they do it at training at every club

American Football League.

Why must the AFL Keep changing sh*t for the benefit of those who don’t watch the game?

NSW person 1: I hate AFL.

NSW person 2: Did you hear they have names on the jumpers now?

NSW person 1: let’s get a membership.

I'd rather not. No names means a greater connection between the player and their number. Like they're passing through their club and make an impact by adding to that history. There seems to be something quintessentially 'footy' about that. If you're good enough, everyone will know your name. 

Any mention of the benefits of adding names?