AFL to trial names on jumpers

Melbourne MCC members will have no excuses now.

Dont know how we’re supposed to read them on the other side of the ground. Hope they have a large print version for those of us who don’t have the best eye sight.

I’d like to see nicknames…could be fun.

I'd like to see nicknames...could be fun.

Only if I can get an AFL sanctioned jumper with 'Pig' on the back. 

Perhaps they can use the funds generated from this shameless merchandising cash grab to fund pissant clubs like the Slater & Gordon bulldogs?

Does the cost of ironing on the letters come out of the equalization funds, because if it doesn't clubs like Melbourne and the Bulldogs will only be able to draft players with short last names.

Just another smokescreen to keep the media from asking questions. First it’s equalisation on Tuesday, this today…the other big one is the night grand final.

I'd rather not. No names means a greater connection between the player and their number. Like they're passing through their club and make an impact by adding to that history. There seems to be something quintessentially 'footy' about that. If you're good enough, everyone will know your name. 

Any mention of the benefits of adding names?  

Takes away the last reason for having clash jumpers. 

Does the cost of ironing on the letters come out of the equalization funds, because if it doesn't clubs like Melbourne and the Bulldogs will only be able to draft players with short last names.

Isn‘t Melbourne just going to put a smaller copy of the number up there?

Their supporters are going to be surprised when (if) they realise #9 isn‘t the captain any more. Where is Neitz, anyway?

I think it's great. For 100 years we have struggled without names, finally we can... well at least we won't have to... but there's the benefit of....

o wait...

It is a farking shithouse idea.

KFC will finally be able to recognise players.

I only like the idea if it can be nicknames on jerseys, so we can have stuff like this.

rod+smart.jpg

Of course this means Harry Mandela will get something like African Prince on the back of his jersey.

They said it's an innovation! How innovative!

Maybe it's because I live overseas, but I really don't know what you are all complaining about.

Clash jumpers and names on uniform are good enough for the NY Yankees, LA Lakers, and Manchester United, but not for Essendon???

It reeks of insecurity to think that we need to stick to totally illogical customs to keep the uniqueness of our game. 

Footy is unique because of the skills involved, the highlights, the ground size, the crowds and a whole host of other reasons.

Clash jumpers make total sense for an 18 team competition where clashes are inevitable, and favouring the old teams who cry about tradition is absolute hogwash. Embrace the change and encourage a totally new Essendon jumper. Marketing and sales of Bombers gear can only help the club in its current financial state.

Names on uniforms likewise when there are now 396 players running around each week. Footy is accessible not only in new markets in Australia, but also via the internet around the entire world. It will also help players who get fewer possessions but are doing important things around packs and off the ball.

As a marketing person, I can assure you that letting tradition get in the way of adapting to changing markets is a recipe for disaster.

I don’t really see the problem. Then again, I don’t see the need either.

What annoys me is that this seems like another example of the AFL ■■■■■■■ with things that were fine the way they were, so they can congratulate themselves for doing sonething. Clowns.

That's the thing that annoys me most, there is no farking point. Promote talent? Yeah nah, if they're talented you'll hear about their name due to them playing well. It's not like we're ever going to be able to read the tiny names on TV anyway, the only time we'll see them is when the camera is zoomed in and at that point you'll see the players face which is better promotion than any name on the back of a football jumper.

This is all just a way for the AFL to make more money off guernsey sales.

I don’t see a problem with it, in fact I like the idea. But just the name. No stupid nickname that’s only going to be known by spectators who know the numbers anyway.

F889XkQ.jpg

To me this just looks way to busy and really what are the chances you'll even see the name.

F889XkQ.jpg

To me this just looks way to busy and really what are the chances you'll even see the name.

Looks ■■■■ but that could just be because it's a North Melbourne guernsey.

WON'T SOMEBODY THINK OF THE SPONSORS?!!