Ex-AFLW #1 - Caitlin Sargent

Sargent bolsters AFLW Bombers

Caitlin Sargent becomes the fifth player to commit to the AFLW Bombers.

By essendonfc.com.au - Just now

The Bombers are excited to announce that Western Jets forward Caitlin Sargent has committed to their inaugural AFLW side as an open-age player.

Standing at 174cm, Sargent is a developing prospect who can read the ball well, is strong in the air and has great goal sense.

Sargent’s strength in attack was on display during this year’s NAB AFLW Under-18 Championships, where she kicked three majors in Vic Metro’s 53-point victory over Vic Country.

Sargent’s 2022 NAB League campaign caught the Bombers’ attention, with the 18-year-old having a breakout year and showing her potential for development.

The key forward kicked 21 goals from 10 games, including two majors in the Western Jets’ NAB League Grand Final victory over the Dandenong Stingrays.

AFLW recruiting manager Harmit Singh said Sargent’s growth over the past 12 months and strong work ethic appealed to the Bombers.

“After missing out on last year’s draft, Caitlin has shown huge growth and development, particularly with her aerial craft, so this is a fantastic reward for her,” Singh said.

“Caitlin was a really important member of the Western Jets under-18 premiership team and as a reflection of her strong work ethic, was selected in Vic Metro’s under-18 team.

“Caitlin performed well for Vic Metro, kicking three goals in their opening match against Vic Country.”

AFLW player contract manager Georgia Harvey said Sargent had a lot of potential at such a young age.

“Last year was Caitlin’s draft year and she was quite young compared to her peers, only qualifying for the 2021 draft by a couple of days, so to see her go to work this year and improve as much as she has is very impressive,” Harvey said.

“At only 18 years of age, we look forward to seeing her continue to develop in the lead-up to our inaugural AFLW season.”

Sargent’s commitment to Essendon’s inaugural AFLW side follows those of VFLW Bombers co-captain Georgia Nanscawen , Carlton duo Maddy Prespakis and Georgia Gee , and Western Bulldogs forward Bonnie Toogood .

Head to our AFLW hub for more news and videos

12 Likes

I believe COVID destroying the 2020 season means there are a bunch of upper-aged NAB League Girls who were given an extra NAB League year – but who already nominated last year. This gives us and Hawthorn extra opportunities to grab NAB Leaguers not from our linked teams.

She is an “open age signing”, so 11 poaching spots remain available.

3 Likes

I’m going to imagine Clifford told them to do it.

@theDJR Thread title has Caitlyn with a ‘y’. Article has Caitlin with an ‘i’.

I find this particularly annoying, as my daughter has the ‘i’ version (aka the correct version :wink:), and it happens all the bloody time!

2 Likes

Fixed.

I was just trying to get Sergeant right :wink:

2 Likes

Oh man…

1 Like

3 Likes

I believe her 21 goals pipped second on the NAB League tally by 3.

That doesn’t include the 3 above vs Vic Country etc.

She played 3 games for Footscray VFLW last year; she must have turned down their offer to play for that dumpster fire this year :rofl:

1 Like

Stats and links to mentions of her at:

https://central.rookieme.com/afl/player/caitlin-sargent/

Named as forward pocket for the Rookieme 2022 Team of the Year. By my reading, usually a stay-close-to-goals forward.

A no brainer for the Team of the Year, Sargent lead all-comers by season’s end in the goalkicking, sharing the award initially with Murray’s Mindy Quade on 17 after the regular season, then kicked four more in finals to finish on 21. She was a force to be reckoned with inside Western’s forward 50, making a couple of Team of the Week’s, but kicking goals in all bar one game. Sargent averaged 9.2 disposals, 2.9 marks, 3.4 tackles and 1.9 inside 50s, and 2.1 goals per game as well.

It is annoying that the AFL don’t publicly publish who nominated for the draft (NAB Leaguers, or otherwise). Makes a lot of our speculation aimless!

(Shawn Smits) - Purchase this photo from Pic Store : 205915

Story by Tara Murray

For new Essendon forward, Caitlin Sargent knowing she didn’t have to sit through another AFLW draft period waiting and wondering, was such a relief.

A star for the Western Jets last year, Sargent went undrafted and returned to the Jets in the NAB League Girls competition.

This year she led the league goal kicking with 21 goals and was a key in the Jets first premiership. She also kicked three goals for Vic Metro during a game in the national championships.

Her performances had AFLW clubs watching.

Essendon was among them and signed Sargent as an open age player to its inaugural AFLW list.

Sargent said she was thrilled to have realised her dream of making the AFLW.

“It was a sigh of relief,” she said.

“I’d been in contact with them late in the Jets season and had a couple of meetings with them.

“They told me the good news the day after the grand final. It was pretty big and I was relieved not to go through the draft again.”

Sargent said while missing out on being drafted last year was disappointing, she knew that she could return to the Jets for another year. It would be her fourth year at the Jets.

It would be a year to remember with the Jets stunning everyone to claim the premiership.

“It was a really good team,” she said. “We did really well and performed really strongly.”

Making an AFLW list has been something Sargent has dreamed of since she started playing football.

She started at St Bernard’s, before moving to Melbourne Uni and later Caroline Springs.

“I have played footy pretty much since I was 10,” she said. “I’ve been through all of the rep programs.

“I’ve always wanted to play. I’ve been part of Robbie Campbell’s Rookie Me program since I was nine, that has been the biggest help for me.”

Sargent has already started to immerse herself at Essendon. She has been training with the club’s Victorian Football League Women’s side for more than a month.

The decision was made that she wouldn’t play with them, but just train with the focus on the future.

She will start pre-season training with the AFLW side this month. Among her new teammates is Bonnie Toogood.

“I watched Bonnie Toogood closely for her forward craft,” she said. “When I found out she was coming to Essendon I couldn’t believe it, it’s a bit crazy.

“I’ll definitely look to spend time with her.”

Sargent said now she was keen to just start training and get to meet everyone.

2 Likes

No pressure… gonna need to kick more goals than Coleman on debut.

1 Like