AFLW 2020 - cancelled, with no winner

I dunno what the answer is, but for the short term at least they need to find a way to up scoring

9 points beating 8 isn’t a good look

1 Like

It was pelting with rain and the ground looked like a swimming pool. Considering their skills are lower in normal conditions than VFL, that score line wasn’t a strange situation. I watched some of it, it is difficult for them to pick up the ball and handpassing and kicking went all over the shop.

This too will improve as they continue to develop.

1 Like

I doubt many of our blokes could play any better in those sorts of conditions and we are not wet weather players, yes I know its a winter game. Many of us on here have often said, " for god’s sake turn on the sprinklers at the Hangar so our blokes can learn wet weather footy."

I agree with @westozziebomber, the concept of AFLW is good for young girls growing up and giving them an avenue to achieve their dreams, however I don’t watch it anymore. The inability to move the football makes it a mess as a spectacle. I think the playing arenas are too big. Dare I say it, maybe the AFLX vehicle may have been the way to go? Smaller field, less players on the ground. Scoring would be far more frequent and you probably have a field size where they can move the football. Otherwise in terms of skill and spectacle you probably see better watching Club XVIII ammos…

1 Like

I think it is unnecessary, just let the game evolve just like the men’s game did - 100 years ago, the scores were low too.

I reckon the scoring is going to come, in a few years, or when they become full time professionals. However, it probably won’t be much as it’s all about starting with defence nowadays - just look at the men’s scores, they have dropped too.

The game will be more and more about movement than scoring.

The game is more than about goals, anyway.

2 Likes

" Last Disposal Between The Arcs
In 2019, the ‘Last Disposal’ rule will apply only in the middle of the ground, between the 50 metre arcs. If a team kicks or handballs the ball out of play from this part of the ground, the other team gets a free kick."

The main problem is the size of ground and the players lack of ability to kick the ball great distances. If the men can move the ball from one end of the ground to the other in 4 kicks, what hope do the women have to score when they are only kicking it 30m at best? By the time the ball gets to the other end, the opposition has had ample time to set up their zones etc.

I think the ground needs to be 40 meters shorter and 3 less players on each team. The scoring would open up.

2 Likes

Do AFLW players still have to work a job during the week and pay for medical bills out of their own pocket?

I could see it growing in to being pretty decent in the next 5 to 10 years.

It just needs time to grow, the exposure right now is really good for grass roots football amongst women, this will have a positive domino effect down the line. Once the numbers pick up in the minor leagues and the skill base starts getting better and better with each draft and the AFLW clubs go full time professional, the AFLW will be in a healthy space.

Till then, it’s growing pains.

1 Like

I’m oblivious to this aspect, but is it still free entry into games? If so the crunch moment is going to be when people have to pay to enter. Right now rightly or wrongly it is a novelty and a good free family outing for families. People wont pay to watch scores of 9-8 or 22-20.

Again, as I mentioned above if it gets my daughter hooked then fantastic, job done, but when the greedy AFL decide to try and make their money from it, will it all fall away?

I hope not as I would love for my daughter to grow up and be able to watch her hero’s in the Black and Red for both the men and the women, and aspire to be (insert future star women’s Bombers player here).

Pretty exciting few minutes there, … some really good moves forward and good tackling.

All results in the Saints getting through for their first ever!!

And the skill level shown is even more impressive when you realise how shitful and blowy the conditions are.

I was at Saints v Dogs game, huge crowd. Wind was blowing a gale which made the conditions trying.

1 Like

I don’t watch often, but every time I do watch the game is better, the players are better.
As long as that keeps happening I wouldn’t be changing rules to restrict their improvement.

1 Like

If Essendon gets a team, I’ll support it. I’ll barrack for laundry.

Until now, I’m following the American players to see how they are coming along. Dani Marshall kicked the Dogs second goal today.

Well then I fully expect an AFLLGBTQ to be next…WTF…WHY???

Not really a bad thing or a major issue, but just further highlights this league really only cares for optics and perception.

And more to the point, acting as society’s moral compass, telling the community how to think, act and behave. From behaviour awareness officers to taking unnecessary political standpoints, they cannot help themselves.

You are the (inept) governing body of a sporting code, nothing more - and struggle to perfect that sole task - how about focusing more on it.

2 Likes

This. So much this.

If it takes the women 6 kicks to go end to end (vs 4 for the men) it means 50% more chances of a turnover/ball up/etc.

From a center clearance, the men need to get 1 effective kick to get the ball in a goal scoring position. The women 2, so its two opportunities for the defenders to spoil etc.

Add in the generally lower disposal quality and it’s easier to see why scoring is so minimal.

1 Like

Understates the case.

Let’s say the men retain disposal for 50% of kicks. So that’s a 1/16th chance of coast-to-coast.

With two more kicks, the women are a quarter as likely (1/64). If the women are 40% to retain then they’re a 1/244 chance of coast-to-coast.

2 Likes

AFL HQ

Absolutely @theDJR

AFLW round 1 2019 has averaged, per goal:
55.4 disposals (34.7k/20.8hb)
9.9 marks
7.2 hitouts
18.1 tackles
5.1 frees

So, if you add disposals & hitouts, there is on average 62.6 actions with the ball per goal.

Compared to our season last year:
33.0 disposals (19.2k/13.8hb)
7.9 marks
2.9 hitouts
5.5 tackles
1.7 frees

Richmond were even more efficient:
28.4 disposals (16.5k/11.9hb)
6.8 marks
2.5 hitouts
4.9 tackles
1.4 frees