AFLW #21 - Jess “Woosh” Wuetschner

1 Like

20 minute interview:

WOOOOSH!

2 Likes

As pointed out by @PH_WARFRadio, this would be the first time two USAFL representatives have goaled in the same game.

(Marshall the other)

2 Likes

I was promised this when she was selected.

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Our first AFLW squad: finalised, 30 + 3 top-ups

7 Likes

It’s ruined my life’: AFLW star Jess Wuetschner reveals heartbreaking truth after being hit by lightning

Fox Footy from Fox Sports
January 2nd, 2023 6:48 pm
AFLW premiership player Jess Wuetschner has told the heartbreaking story of being hit by lightning at work almost three years ago which has “ruined her life”.

The former Brisbane and now Essendon forward was 27 and working as a stevedore unloading ships on the docks in Queensland when the incident took place.

It was the early hours of the morning when part of a crane she was holding was struck by lightning, as she explained on her TikTok account last month.

“A storm just starts rolling in, and it is pouring with rain, I mean like torrential Queensland pour, and the wind is like 60ks an hour, blowing through, it’s like needles to the face,” the former All-Australian said.

“I say to the guy who’s working with me, ‘We should not be working right now, it is too bad of a storm, to be out right now’, but me being just me, little stevedore not in charge, just does what I’m told.”

She was on top of the ship when a “big bang, clap zzz” signified the lightning hitting the pole she was holding onto.

“When this happened, I saw big, bluey white flashes go up my arms, and then I kind of like, from there, just sort of fell to the ground,” she said.

“I was lucky not to be physically affected, I was wearing rubber gloves and rubber shoes, and I was suspended in the air, which means the electricity didn’t go through me, which is my saving grace.

“Saving grace to my life but not so much my mental health.”

Jess Wuetschner played in the Lions’ 2021 Grand Final win. (Photo by Sarah Reed/AFL Photos via Getty Images)
Jess Wuetschner played in the Lions’ 2021 Grand Final win. (Photo by Sarah Reed/AFL Photos via Getty Images)
Source: Getty Images
Wuetschner thought she was going to die but was taken to hospital and discharged at around 5:30am that morning. Unfortunately for her, the situation only worsened from there.

“It was just the worst thing that could ever happen,” she said.

“I walked out of the hospital with no shoes, soaking wet, no way to get home, no family, none of my friends were answering their phone. I had to get in a taxi soaking wet, by myself, to get home.”

After the incident Wuetschner did not feel she was properly cared for by the workplace.

Two weeks later she had a breakdown and tried taking anti-anxiety medication, but had an adverse reaction to it, resulting in anxiety and panic attacks which put her back in hospital.

Anti-depressants helped her get back to some level of normality including playing football - and she went on to play in Brisbane’s 2021 premiership win - but she could not completely move on and some of her friendships fell apart.

“I’m scared to leave the house some days still. I used to travel the world, (but) I couldn’t even think about travelling now. I couldn’t think about leaving anywhere that’s not in my safe zone, in my safe place,” Wuetschner said.

“I’m scared about eating certain things just in case I have an allergic reaction, I’m scared of bugs, I’m scared of any kind of medications that aren’t familiar, I’ll have basically paracetamol and that’s about it. I don’t really like to leave the house still, I still struggle with that a lot just in case something happens. It’s always those what ifs.

“So, that’s kind of what I’ve been struggling with … that’s why it’s ruined my life and I feel like a different person.”

Wuetschner said some of her issues have begun to improve after working with psychologists.

8 Likes

Poor girl, what a terrible thing to happen to her.

2 Likes

5 Likes

1 Like
1 Like

Behind the Hun paywall:

https://heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/aflw/jess-wuetschner-opens-up-on-freak-lightning-incident-and-her-pride-at-reaching-50-afl-womens-games/news-story/5b97c23ccd2403bb6277d1e06cf50456

1 Like

Retiring end of season :frowning:

3 Likes

One of my favourites. Even prior to her becoming a bomber.

Great career, Jess. Overcame a hell of a lot of adversity. Go well.

3 Likes

@PH_WARFRadio gonna be devo.

Sign Lila Keck pre-draft already.

1 Like

7 Likes

I just want to say that (bounce) it’s been an amazing career (bounce) firstly at the Lions and then with (bounce) the Bombers. We’ll never forget (bounce) who scored the first goal for our AFLW team (bounce) and hopefully Jess can finish her career with four wins and a (bounce) flag.

1 Like

This was 2015. AFLW was two years away, but I knew Woosha from her time with the Bulldogs in the exhibition matches. I wrote a piece about her — probably my most important article up to that point — and she said she was excited but didn’t know what to expect. 2/

She ended up playing for the Boston Demons, and made her debut in a three-way tourney in NY. With her first touch of the ball, she kicked a goal from almost 50 meters out.

It was like seeing a rocketship blast off. It was unreal. 3/

I knew I was seeing something special that day. Especially when I interviewed her and we got to chatting afterwards. She struck me as being a student of the game, and was eager to learn and to teach in the name of improving herself. 4/

She played for two months before heading home. She lifted up our women’s program here in the process. And, she left and indelible mark on every player who played alongside her and against her, as well as those like myself who supported her career here. 5/

We all followed her into AFLW, through Brisbane through ups and downs, then onto Essendon. She had many people barracking for her to win a grand final and we were all glad to see her get one with the Lions a few years back. 6/

As good as a player as she is, I admire her courage and bravery for doing all of this while dealing with her mental health. As someone who struggles myself, her openness and success is an inspiration. 7/

So, as she departs the stage and onto whatever is next, I’m thrilled that my friend @JessicaWoochnar got to do what she did and loved for so long. She is a legend both on and off the ground, and I’m glad she was and is part of our sport. 8/8.

3 Likes

Spoke to Jess recently and she is looking forward to playing cricket over summer and continuing her coaching journey (wherever that may go). She felt that the love, care and support she received when she landed at Essendon, was something truly special and helped her thru some very significant challenges.

Jess is an impressive human.

6 Likes