General AFLW comments and articles

Il be really surprised if it doesn't fizz out after a couple of years. Destined to fail imo

I said that about the Big Bash League

Il be really surprised if it doesn't fizz out after a couple of years. Destined to fail imo

It’s still crap.

Nope

have they announced when they will be playing the games? standalone or before AFL matches like the old vfl?

Most are on the old VFL ovals.

it’s not going to work long term then

I have a feeling that the women's league will be a cash drain on the clubs. Probably will see a big interest early before it settles down. I'm happy for us to sit back an wait for others to build the market before coming in and taking the cash later, if it's successful.
Whereas it struck me as a good way for the AFL to smuggle extra money to certain povo clubs...
Do you mean polo clubs?

BBL was always going to be a success unless they stuffed up the programming etc

No

Its interesting the some pleb from AWFUL HO said that priority will be given to clubs that expressed interest in the first round of teams when issuing new teams next year. The mighty bombettes might be a ways down the road for us

Wont support ladies aussie rules until it either leaves the AWFUL or we have a side

I said that about women voting

The WNBL is failing despite having 15x the amount of people in the country and playing a sport that’s followed worldwide and arguably a sport where there’s closer to parity in terms of skill between men and women (I guess? Possibly?)

I just think the AFL won’t let it fail, would rather take a loss on it year after year and keep pumping dough into it lest they seem socially irresponsible.

The afl has let 10 teams fail miserably and kept propping them up, why will a woman’s league be any different? They just use it for
A) a way to get money to poor clubs via their women’s team
b) to show how socially responsible the AFL are in other ways when they fail to act on another case of violence against women by one of their players.

So

Anyone watch any? I caught about a quarter of whoever gws played. It wasn’t great

They’ve ■■■■■■ up with their implementation. I think the AFLW is fine, I think it should’ve been a 10 year long staged introduction, with proper state level leagues attached to established clubs that aren’t on an afl drip. Put onus on the clubs that are successful without the crutch to make it a successful venture. Start skilling them up when they’re young so that they can actually have aspirations to make the professional.

I’m not trying to offend, but If the skills doesn’t improve drastically I don’t think it will move beyond being a niche novelty. If the afl tries to skimp on their pay again too, I don’t see much hope for the players dedicating themselves to improving their skills.

Did they go too many teams at first too? All of them were ‘blow outs’ with 4 teams struggling to kick a goal for the entire game. Maybe a 4 team comp with 2 from vic and ones in Adelaide/Perth and Sydney/Brisbane and they have a double round robin, and the best 2 teams play for the flag.

It just seems another rushed PR thing from the AFL without them seriously considering the best way to go forward with the initiative, just the quickest way, which was what happened with GWS and GCS. Rather than build or lay the groundwork for a successful organsation, we get a team thats 1 goal off a grand final getting 6 picks in the top 20, or something like that.

Definitely agree with the sentiment. I do like the idea of it and I HOPE it succeedes but the way it currently is, isn’t great. Agree 8 teams is too many

A cash drain on the clubs? Compared to GWS and GCS it'll be a drop in the ocean. They'll have a new set of sponsors lining up to participate, new merchandise lines. It's a marketeers dream

There is a big assumption in that I think isn’t true.

I guess it all depends on how long sponsors want to be associated with a team that kicks 11 points a game each match. The low scoring at the moment is a huge dampner.

Maybe but then again you could fizzout in a couple of years too!

The games were moved to a bigger ground. I think if they were played on the original smaller ground scoring would be higher.

Gosh, harsh critics here! These girls have only played a couple of games together.

At least the game flowed and was attacking. Not boring. No kicking backwards or keepings off. Players were accessible to the public and open to media.

Of course women can’t kick as long, we are physiologically not built like a man. Plus they get paid peanuts compared to men. They all still have to work real jobs. So if you have to work a real job you don’t have as much time to put in the training.

You can’t say they were any worse than some Essendon games of late. 8 teams too many*? 18 in AFl is too many.

*probably should stay at 8 for several years to not dilute the pool talent.

Season only goes for two months.
To me it’s seems to be a filler between tennis and footy season (that’s what NAB was for).

Haven’t watched a game and won’t bother watching any more than I watch NAB games.
I would have thought a season fixture where they play every second week with the grand final during the bye week before the finals would have worked very well.

It’s a good start but I can see a big drop off if it doesn’t expand and get more professional.

Also, I’m surprised there are a few interstate teams in the comp. The costs of travel would be crazy for the expected attendance. Does anyone really expect AFLW to kick off in Queensland when AFL can barely get attendances?

As far as the skill level, I’d assume these women all work for a living and do this on the side, so I’d expect the skill levels to be similar to the 60s & 70s where some were pretty good but some were dreadful. I doubt they’d be training as heavily considering the short season.

If they wanted it to be a big success they would have involved all the big succesful clubs in their states
Pies, West Coast, Adelaide, Essendon, Carlton, Sydney Hawthorn, Richmond
Given how poor Brisbane and Gold Coast are going wouldnt give them a licence to begin with.

They went with GWS, Melbourne, Dogs, Fremantle, Carlton, Collingwood, Adelaide Brisbane

Due to the lack of Talent, we wont be seeing any new sides being introduced soon. Which is sad for Longs daughter.

If they wanted it to be a big success they would have involved all the big succesful clubs in their states Pies, West Coast, Adelaide, Essendon, Carlton, Sydney Hawthorn, Richmond Given how poor Brisbane and Gold Coast are going wouldnt give them a licence to begin with.

They went with GWS, Melbourne, Dogs, Fremantle, Carlton, Collingwood, Adelaide Brisbane

Due to the lack of Talent, we wont be seeing any new sides being introduced soon. Which is sad for Longs daughter.

They didn’t ‘GO WITH’ anybody. Some clubs bid for a license, others didn’t. We didn’t. You may have noticed that we have a rather substantial debt to pay down, which is our financial priority right now. We will field a team (as the club has repeatedly said) further down the track. It is something on our radar, and that we wish to do.