General AFLW comments and articles

Melbourne must have played some good footy in the second half. They looked done at half time.

It was a total turn-around.
They scored 2 in about a minute.

One week in and we have the Age spruiking an exclusive about the AFLs first openly gay couple in the women's comp. duh.

Good on the girls for being comfortable sharing their story with the media and the fans.

But can anyone explain what someone’s sexuality have to do with their chosen sport?

I don’t see it that way, someone who has been upfront, not having it uncovered by some so-called investigative journo or by innuendo riddled report. Could be a role model/ confidence booster for younger girls and boys, including those in team sports who might be getting sledged.

Why should we be surprised that two women players come out of the closet. Anyone who’s ever been around women’s sports (particularly sports that are traditionally dominated by men) has seen a significant number of lesbians. We had two stints with women’s teams at our cricket club, and both times friction between the two groups ended the club’s involvement. On neither occasion were the men’s teams to blame.

I’ve known two women who said they were the only straight player in their team, one in hockey and one in soccer.

It’s just a fact of life.

I watched a bit of the Melbourne Collingwood game and quite enjoyed it. Katie Brennan commentates well, not producing the over-the-top excitement that some men employ. She’s calm and measured, and extremely pretty as well.

Fox Sports employs quite a few women who are excellent commentators and analysts…in particular soccer, RL, cricket and Sarah Jones. No doubt, they’re all happy that an earlier male presenter left after being accused of sexual harassment.

Can back up the Noons story.
Within the female team I was involved with there was a half dozen couples, with players cheating on each other with other players (or the female coach).
This culminated in one of the players rocking up to training with a baseball and attempting to beat the leather out of her ex (hell hath no fury like a woman scorned as they say).

And yeah, Brennan is quite well spoken. A friend from my old job is her sales rep for the company that supplied all the equipment for her gym (she’s definitely making hay while the sun shines on that front lol)

Seems those girls came out of the closet years ago. So far male players at elite level can be assumed to be 100%! Hetro.

My niece (16 yo) is a very promising soccer player but her mother is reluctant to let her fulfill her ambitions in the sport as she’s worried her daughter will become a lesbian. In response I told her that although I’m not an expert, I’m reasonably sure that you can’t be converted to lesbianism just by being around lesbians, rather sexual orientation is an innate response that isn’t influenced by environmental factors. In other words she is already a lesbian or she isn’t. She then countered my point with the two girls from The Batchelor becoming intimate after spending time together in the batchelor compound, claiming that these two came together because of the environment they were in. At that point I suggested we stop hypothesising about her daughter, my niece and her private leanings and start focusing on how many goals she will ultimately score for The Matildas.

HOW MANY GOAL DIGGERS’ NEICE KICK?

She should snag a few.

That’s a frightening thought from Diggers relative - Life is tricky if we believe everything on TV - Anyway the MRP penalties for women are tough in an eight game season.

Prospect of having a kid might be in the mind of different genders when they hit puberty, irrespective of their sexual orientation. But that’s just my opinion.
And child bearing increasingly being delayed by heterosexuals.

Games are being played on Fridays at lunchtime. Good to see the afl taking this game seriously.

Can’t get more punters to an AFL ladies game than they get to an Ess V Coll mens game now can they?

My niece (16 yo) is a very promising soccer player but her mother is reluctant to let her fulfill her ambitions in the sport as she's worried her daughter will become a lesbian. In response I told her that although I'm not an expert, I'm reasonably sure that you can't be converted to lesbianism just by being around lesbians, rather sexual orientation is an innate response that isn't influenced by environmental factors. In other words she is already a lesbian or she isn't. She then countered my point with the two girls from The Batchelor becoming intimate after spending time together in the batchelor compound, claiming that these two came together because of the environment they were in. At that point I suggested we stop hypothesising about her daughter, my niece and her private leanings and start focusing on how many goals she will ultimately score for The Matildas.

There’s nothing like a p.o.s 'merican pseudo-reality show to educate the masses.

My niece (16 yo) is a very promising soccer player but her mother is reluctant to let her fulfill her ambitions in the sport as she's worried her daughter will become a lesbian. In response I told her that although I'm not an expert, I'm reasonably sure that you can't be converted to lesbianism just by being around lesbians, rather sexual orientation is an innate response that isn't influenced by environmental factors. In other words she is already a lesbian or she isn't. She then countered my point with the two girls from The Batchelor becoming intimate after spending time together in the batchelor compound, claiming that these two came together because of the environment they were in. At that point I suggested we stop hypothesising about her daughter, my niece and her private leanings and start focusing on how many goals she will ultimately score for The Matildas.

There’s nothing like a p.o.s 'merican pseudo-reality show to educate the masses.

I played cricket for years and didn’t “become lesbian.” You can use that as your anecdotal evidence if you like :stuck_out_tongue:

So that Collingwood player only got two weeks for the ko hit because a two week ban in afl women’s league is the equivalent ban of 6 weeks in a normal season? Absurd

Why doesn’t the ban carry over into whatever league she plays in over the winter? Or does the afl have no jurisdiction over that?

I played cricket for years and didn’t “become lesbian.” You can use that as your anecdotal evidence if you like :stuck_out_tongue:

No one interested? Too ugly?

I agree with you on one hand but they’re quite square people who only interact with the homosexual by chance. Their views are formed by the church and from conversing with their fellow churchie friends. In fairness, its no surprise that they think like they do. They’re not bad people, just a regular suburban family who probably haven’t been to the inner city since the 80’s.

I don’t live in the inner city, but more than tolerance of gays in my neighbourhood , including by churchies and other conservatives, linked to their exposure to and friendship with gay neighbours. And there are some of them who have gay kids.

Not even lesbian curious?

Cheque, please?

I don't live in the inner city, but more than tolerance of gays in my neighbourhood , including by churchies and other conservatives, linked to their exposure to and friendship with gay neighbours. And there are some of them who have gay kids.
And that's the thing. They don't have any exposure to the LGBTQ (sorry if I missed anyone) community. And like most people, they don't trust what they don't understand.