General AFLW comments and articles

Having a RHG. Some fast exciting passages, just coming unstuck IN50.

Dammit.

How did they not kick those two goals at the endā€¦

A couple of gimmeā€™s went begging eh?

Theyā€™ll be pist about it, ā€¦ could have had it.

AFLW expansion licenses are allegedly being announced this week.

Maybe itā€™s just me but I find WAFL about as appealing as the idea of Menā€™s Netball. Iā€™m all for women playing footy if they want to but surely it needs to stand on itā€™s own two feet financially. Otherwise that money could be far better spent on the grassroots of the game, both boys and girls footy, away from all the razamatzz.

1 Like

Ha. These clubs are a lot less of a financial drain than half of the AFL onesā€¦

4 Likes

Firstly, thereā€™s actual teams in the menā€™s afl that have not stood on their own feet financially in living memory. Bit unfair to demand it of the womenā€™s game which is just starting out.

Second, thereā€™ve been grassroots womenā€™s and girls footy teams floating around since forever, but from where I sit nothing has driven the growth of the womenā€™s game at grass roots level remotely as much as seeing the AFLW on TV. Suddenly it becomes a real option for people rather than a weird hobbyist niche. And seriously - womenā€™s sport televised in prime time on free to air? That something NO other sport can offer, barring the Olympics. Itā€™s a hell of a selling/recruiting pitch.

7 Likes

Good point about the Mens teams that make losses Minionā€¦

Iā€™ll give it another look this season of course but, I have to be honest, I found myself laughing at the appalling standard of play sometimes last time. Thatā€™s not to say there arenā€™t some talented female players out there. Itā€™s just that the ā€œaverageā€ player was often just terrible, not deserving of a place on televised sport imo unless itā€™s intended to be comedy.

Iā€™m certainly not saying that women shouldnā€™t be playing AFL, I just want the best possible ā€œbang for buckā€ when it comes to developmentā€¦and that includes nens teams that canā€™t run their clubs properly.

Interesting debate about Hannah Mouncey.

Many questions such as Does she play? Is their an unfair advantage? What does the rest of the competition think about it? Was she advantaged by being a male for so long in her development? Is she even good enough? And so forth.

She should play imo

she has the body of a man. in this day and age, however, she simply has to play in the womens leage, despite any advantage she may get. would be PR disaster if she was denied it.

1 Like

Looks like theyā€™ve opted for the PR disaster then.

2 Likes

Sheā€™s been denied.

Do I care about AFLW?
Not really, but I run like a girl and sit down to pee so if they let me play in the girlsā€™ comp I probably would care (a bit).

Not sure that getting the old feller lopped off and taking oestrogen injections qualifies you to play as a sheila.

100kg could do some really serious damage to girls with, shall we say, a more traditional feminine shape.

Although there is that rather large lady from Adelaideā€¦Sarah somethingā€¦Perkins?

Too many questions raised by the T and I brigade and Iā€™m not sure weā€™re ready for it.

3 Likes

Really fraught issue with Mouncey I reckon. Sheā€™s well below hormone limits to compete as a woman under IOC rulesā€¦but sheā€™s so damn big!

She can compete as a woman at the Olympics but not in AFLWā€¦and I canā€™t find fault in that paradox. As long as AFL have based this decision on their duty and care to other AFLW players than I support it.

Based on current rules she should be allowed to play.
The current rules are ā– ā– ā– ā–  though in that someone has to prove a man to woman trans has an advantage rather than the inverse.
Iā€™ve posted extensively about this on BF but basically you donā€™t lose every physical advantage you had by switching, and in turn posed the question of whether a guy that openly doped for 15 years off WADAs radar would be allowed to compete at the Olympics if he spent a year ā€œcleanā€

1 Like

Declined based on her physicality as they think her strength, speed etc are more impactful. Disgusting considering the AFLā€™s YES to equality stance. What do you expect from transgender people, especially those from a sporting background.

Yes she looks masculine and arms the size of tree trunks, but her testosterone is well below those needed to be classed as a woman. Let her play.

Pretty fair ruling I would have thoughtā€¦