General AFLW comments and articles

can’t have guys playing womens footy, it’s dangerous for starters for the actual women playing

1 Like

Permitted to play in AFL ACT.

Would have been cleared to compete as an Olympic athlete.

Typically disgraceful, focus group driven decision by the AFL.

3 Likes

The decision opens up a massive can of worms. The AFL have claimed its due to Mounceys size rather than gender status. I dont 100% believe them on that, but fine, even so. What happens when a 5’11" transgender person wants to play? Do they let her, or try to come up with a different excuse? Hell, the afl could be in a tricky legal spot if they ever allow a cisgender woman of Mouncey’s size to play, cos allowing one and not the other would be a clear case of discrimination. And there are plenty of women her size out there - a friend of mine played women’s basketball at state level and she’d be fully 6’5" and seriously powerful. Would she get to play, if she wanted?

2 Likes

At the risk of being accused of being politically incorrect, it’s a no for me.

I agree. AFL stance is if your:
lesbian woman - Tick ok to play AFLW
Gay man - Tick you can play AFL if you desire.
Bisexual male or female - Yep you can play in the league your biology determined

BUT:
if you’re transgender and identify as a woman however commenced the transition later than puberty, you cannot partake in the national league.

Its a massive shambles for an organisation who supported same sex marriage WHICH by doing so agreed to the stances of equal right for the LGBTQ people in society.

Basically they are saying that you can play if your naturally born a female and under 100kg or began the procedure to transisition before puberty and the testerone kicks in.

Your friend would be able to play as she was born a woman. You cannot discriminate against that.

so tell me why fark carlton are in the afl then?

1 Like

Interesting read, I still think no despite what the scientists say.

What about bone structures and orientation (hips, shoulders etc) that contribute to muscular strength - anchor points for leverage, length of bone. I’m sure we have some human movement grads in blitz that may be able to contribute, because I’m sure whilst hormones are key, they are unlikely to be the absolute answer to the equation.

Whilst I am sympathetic to people with sexual orientation concerns, transgenders females in competitive female sports does strike me a boardering on reverse sexism of sorts, irrespective of the bits being reassigned and hormone therapy.

indent preformatted text by 4 spaces

FMD she would brutalise the competition. Look at the massive advantage she’d have. Ever been tackled by someone who’s 6’3 and 100kgs? I’m not suprised it’s been denied, at all

1 Like

And being tackled by Sarah Perkins wouldn’t?

If she was a 6’5 former olympic wrestler or basketballer that weighed 100kg and born a female, would she be declined the right? I know plenty of women who could outrun some of the AFL players and are stronger than the average male.

No, not as much as a 100kg fit woman with the biological makeup of a man

I have zero issue with people wanting to change their sexual identity, but it’d be massively unfair on the rest of the competition to have an advantage like that

3 Likes

Much different muscle and bone density too right?

My issue is, you cannot be saying “Yes we agree to equality for all LGBQT community” but then say no to one section of the community playing in the AFLW because they might be stronger and have a higher stamina base HOWEVER they can play the ACT league.

I would be expecting backlash because if she was getting around the ACT league without fuss, then why not in the AFLW if clubs dont have an issue? I would have thought it would be great since they want equality for all.

2 Likes

AFL evolving policy? The AFL has had forever to develop one. Earlier, Gil had stated that the AFL would follow the Olympic testosterone standard. She seems to have done a deal not to contest it

1 Like

As far as I’m concerned it has nothing to do with the ‘Yes’ campaign or SSM. You can be pro LGBTQ(whatevs) and find Moucey’s situation as being inappropriate for the AFLW competition.

There’s a lot more to being female than hormone levels in your blood and vice-versa. I think this is all to grey to be fair at the moment, the AFL delaying her entry into the competition is a wise decision.

3 Likes

I think she is just happy they allowed her to play in the ACT.

But considering she passed the testosterone test (doctors said she is well under the levels accepted) they only have the rule in regards to the fact she can be denied access to play if they feel her strength and stamina could be too much of an advantage.

Again I call BS because if she was 5’9 and weighed 80kg it would be fine.

In the reporting there were references to exemptions from discrimination under the Victorian Equal Employment and human rights laws. Maybe the ACT laws are different.

What ■■■■■■ me right off about this is the AFL were willing to do a big publicity shoot under a changed logo under the banner of equality.

Now a call like this makes me think they are willing to promote equality, awareness and progression, but only when it benefits them. If they can get a photo shoot, some sponsorship $$ or a nice headline they are all for it. But if there is some genuine hard work and putting neck on the line sort of stuff involved, they don’t want a bar of it.

It’s the same reason they gave Adam Goodes next to no support, the same reason they are willing to wipe their hands clean of what happened at West Coast and what is still happening to some of the individuals who were there now. Fixing those issues takes hard work and has next to no immediate benefit, so they don’t bother.

2 Likes

Yup. And if she was 6’8", 110kg, and born female, it would be fine.

And when 7 foot, 122kg Aaron Sandilands lays a hit on 5’6" 71kg Caleb Daniel it is also fine.

The AFL have decided they don’t want her in the AFLW. They have refused to say “no icky trannies!” and have preferred to cloak it in a veneer of safety concerns. By doing do, they’ve only created problems for themselves down the track. Exactly HOW big can a transgender woman be and still be ‘safely’ allowed to play? If next year someone comes along who is 3cm shorter and 5kg lighter, can SHE play? What’s the size limitation before you get barred? If she comes in above the cut-off, can she diet for a year to lose weight, qualify, get drafted, then hit the gym over preseason? Will there be annual tests to make sure she stays below the AFLs ‘safe’ size/weight limitation? Do you make allowances for people built like Tippa vs people built like Gleeson? And again, if a cis woman comes along next year who is bigger and heavier than Mouncey, is the AFL fine with her playing? If not, how is that not clear discrimination?

This smells of a panic decision that nobody thought through, the goal of which was to come up with an excuse to keep Mouncey out rather than decide whether or not she should be allowed to play. and which is going to make a bunch of people look very stupid over the next few years (assuming, of course, that there’s enough transgender women who want to play the game at all)

8 Likes

They had months knowing that she was going to apply to enter the draft and 3 clubs keen to take her 1st round.

To wait till the day before reeks of desperation and ‘WTF do we do?’

I agree that they need guidelines for Transgender hopefuls as thwy have just as much right to play as anyone else.

My thoughts exactly Rock …