General AFLW comments and articles

I know I will definitely be a lot more interested when an Essendon team dons the sash in Women’s Footy.

The EFC may be waiting awhile for that to actually happen but; maybe if the AFL get strapped for cash, we may end up with a team playing in the VFL and the Women’s firsts.

I wonder how many of those crusading women’s footy will watch the wvfl to show the afl how wrong they were to not give us a license.

1 Like

It’s utter garbage. Think it’s great that they get to play, and have nothing against it, but I can’t watch more than 2 minutes before my eyes bleed

1 Like

I watched a bit of it last season… its like watching an absolutely terrible movie that so terrible its almost good…

boom boom!

3 Likes

I got through a few minutes of the first game last year but the skill level was horrific so I turned if off. I will most likely watch the first quarter tonight to see if it has improved with a full pre season for the girls but I don’t hold out much hope.
The day will come in the not too distant future though when the AFLW will be of high standard thanks to the properly funded junior pathways for girls and I will be more than happy to watch…If Essendon ever get a team.

Sounds like no one watches their local footy.

The AFLW skills were as good or better than most of that last year.

In my opinion AFLW will have made it when it’s ok to say you don’t like it and not fear getting whacked for hating Women’s sport.

2 Likes

I barrack for Essendon, not the AFL. I have precisely zero interest in any games which don’t involve Essendon.

Essendon does not have an AFLW team. Ergo, I have no interest AFLW - no disparagement there.

I acknowledge AFLW in the same way I acknowledge that North Melbourne and St Kilda have an AFL team i.e. they are there but of no consequence to me.

That doesn’t mean I’m hating on women playing AFL. All power to them - it’s just meaningless to me until such time as Essendon have a team.

2 Likes

Surely your not serious. Most local footy I watch on a weekly basis is more skilled than woman’s footy. Your local league must be pretty garbage lol

Did you watch much AFLW??

I don’t have an issue with almost everyone on this site not liking/wanting/watching women footy. My issue is with everyone wanting to chime in how ■■■■ it is. What is the farking point of this thread anyway? Great - no one likes it, yeah.

2 Likes

To be fair, the thread title invites opinions. Maybe we need another thread

1 Like

Yeah, watched a few games last year. I for one think there’s too many teams. There’s no doubt some highly skilled players who are excellent, but their few and far between. Imo they should have started off with less teams and built up

Over a year ago, this is how the thread started.
Still going, and we’ve learned that many people still don’t like it.

Yeah, agree with that. I reckon it will of course be better across the board this year,… but a lot of them already had good skills, I was really surprised.

I saw high marking, good leading, accurate kicking. roving snapping goals, etc.

But, what got me most, and why I don’t u/stand others didn’t enjoy,… was the absolute willingness to smash in,… sometimes more brutally than in AFL itself. I personally, had never seen girls playing footy in a competitive game ever, … or for that matter any full contact sport, despite the existence of Womens Rugby teams, and I fould thier intensity, and the hits & tackling riveting.

Maybe it was the novelty of it all, & particularly the hits, & it will wear off, but I don’t think so provided the skill keeps improving.

If EFC had a team in, I’m sure I would watch every game, and I’m really hoping our VFL team gets streamed on the EFC site throughout their comp until we do.

@Catherine_Lio Any chance??

1 Like

Yeah their endeavour, willingness and effort is 100% and I can accept that and respect it. Il watch it (coz its footy) but I can’t find myself paying attention to something that’s poorly skilled for the most part. It’ll improve and so will the skill level, how far I’m not sure.

That and you will inevitably know someone playing, which gives meaning/context to the game as well.

I wonder if the split here is along age lines. I just watched some highlights and was reminded of a feeling I had when watching last year, that I also heard echoed in reports of older blokes comments on watching the games, and why they enjoyed it, . “It reminds me of Old time footy”

I suppose most folk under 30 35 or so, would have only really seen the slick, run & gun, all players around the ball, Basketball style modern footy we see now.

The womens stuff really did have a 70’s / 80’s vibe about it.

2 Likes

Good question. I’m fairly sure the VFLW is tied into the media rights of the VFL - so perhaps some may actually be televised.

I’ll be trying to get to as many games that don’t clash with the AFL as humanely possible personally. I can’t wait to see our girls crack in. I agree with you, the brutality of the womens comp - and probably skill levels to be honest - is like watching 80s football. Love it.

2 Likes