General AFLW comments and articles

Stops to the crotch is never fun …

Collingwood gets reported, Carlton gets kicked in the groin… dunno what you guys are complaining about. Win-win.

3 Likes

Hey great PC response. Maybe you should go into a competition with Bloodychoir, Gnik, and Backwardsfox to see who can have the most PC post?
I’m happy to be a judge.

1 Like

Crowd twice the size of a GWS or GC match.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

My god when does footy start? I’ll take AFLX as long as it’s our jumper.

What the Ladies might lack in skill,… they make up for in endeavor …

1 Like

It’s funny, I said the same thing to my brother while we were watching the first ever game at my aunt/uncles.
Uncle watches about 2 minutes and says he doesn’t mind it cos it reminds him of the olden days, then every single positive male comment on FB during the coming days was from 40+ year olds and said exactly the same thing.
Personally, I’d struggle to sit down and watch our 2000 grand final win over a 17 v 18 game of the current era/quality

2 Likes

I don’t think I want to read a Blitz game thread “for” our team…

I gave it another go (as I did last year).

As I said earlier in the day, I completely support the concept, I think its fabulous for the women playing and in particular young girls. Long may it continue and its the best thing the AFL has done in decades.

But I wont be watching again this year. The standard is just too poor. Kicks are hacked and go fifteen-twenty metres, the fine skills aren’t there yet, the strength and endurance aren’t there yet, and there were a grand total of 5 goals kicked for the match. 5. And there were a lot of similar scores last year.

I think its perfectly OK to criticise it on this basis as well.

6 Likes

It’s one variation of the game that would actually benefit from a smaller ground and less players.

4 Likes

Wow… that was horrible.

If supporters want to know why the AFL haven’t spent a fortune on promotion for it, this game is why. You can’t promote this as a legitimate comp when it is so messy and there are so many basic errors.

1 Like

I agree, wholeheartedly.

But I’ll give it a few more games.

I didn’t watch it, but that’s disappointing to hear it’s pretty much exactly the same 12 months on.

Just saw the scores, shorter quarters? Doesn’t seem like much was scores after half time?

Players fatigue and it’s much easier to teach defensive structures than offensive with such a low skill level.

I’d expect there’ll be improvement in skills but I don’t it’s going to be as fast as a lot of people are assuming. If they’d been brought into a full time professional environment, sure, but that’s just not the AFLW structure. No doubt the players coming into the league will get better and better coming through a genuine football development program as juniors, doubly so if they start attracting more first choice athletes. But as it stands the AFLW basically only exists for about 4 months a year.

In the AFL, a lot of players look scratchy in the pre-season, and often for the first few weeks of the season proper. That’s basically the entire length of the AFLW season. Then a fair few go off and play a completely different sport for the rest of the year, and the rest have jobs while playing suburban football.

None of which is intended to be a negative opinion on the AFLW, for what it’s worth.

4 Likes

It’s not for us blokes, tbh. Nobody cares if we don’t like it.

It’s for young girls who love footy and want to have something to aspire to. It’s for my cousin who played footy in the boys team from age 7 until she hit high school and then was told she couldn’t any more.

I caught up with a mate for lunch today. She’s your stereotypical non footy fan. Grew up in rural NSW, artsy vegan hippie type who works for an animal welfare charity. Doesn’t even have an AFL team. When we left the restaurant we saw someone had skywritten ‘AFLW’, and all of a sudden she was telling me all about how awesome it was and how she couldn’t wait to see Erin Phillips play.

It may not be everyone’s cup of tea, and the skills aren’t up to scratch with the men’s yet, but if you think it’s not developing a following out there, you’re just wrong.

9 Likes

If we don’t put together a blitz contingent to go to at least the first game to get behind Little Hirdy and Little Longy, I’ll be profoundly disappointed.

6 Likes

First practice match is apparently in Willy on April 15. Radio 3DJR will be covering the first half before heading off to Docklands.

Not sure how serious the club is taking this: their last article was announcing Hird and Long on December 6. They didn’t even bother to mention the fixture when it came out a few weeks later, let alone put up an online calendar for it.

(They DO have online VFL schedule and AFL training calendars… but haven’t bothered to actually enter data into them.)

Round 1 proper may be just barely compatible with the AFL game at the MCG, if it starts at 11am.

@Catherine_Lio ???

2 Likes