General AFLW comments and articles

Regarding standards The bulldogs vs demons game was good to watch... But then again the standard was only good because all the decent players were spread across 2 teams and not 8 or 18..

More decent players will develop off the back of training in a professional sports environment. Might take a few years but you have to start somewhere.

For those who only watch female sport when it involves tight clothes or lingerie, go **** yourselves into oblivion.

Apart from AFL/VFL Essendon games the only other sports I watch are rugby league & basketball so to get me to watch the new women’s AFL league is nigh on impossible. Irrespective of the clobber they wear I will not be part of the viewing audience.

Are you equally enraged by women or men who watch AFL for the same reason?

In my experience the difference is that most people who say things like that about women’s sport are sports watchers in general, and are saying women’s sport isn’t worth watching for the sport. People who say it about men’s sport aren’t watching sports at all except for eye candy. It’s a fairly important difference to say “I don’t like watching sport but I like hotness so sometimes I watch” compared to “I like men’s sport, but women’s sport is only worth watching for hotness”. One is a value judgment on the concept of professional sport as entertainment, the other is on whether women should be taken seriously.

I say this as someone who has no interest in AFL Women’s whatsoever, and I’m not going to pretend I do just to seem progressive.

Of course, it’s baffling to me that someone with access to the contents of the entire internet would pick sports for titillation, so maybe I just don’t get it.

This was not your intent but I think you have kind of highlighted the problem with women’s sports. As a general rule men watch sports to see it at the highest level. The women’s version is rarely the highest level so men look for other things in the women’s version.

Women just don’t watch much sport. If women watched more sport it would not matter what men thought because it would not rely on that market.

People watch sport to see it at the highest level? Why do people still go and support Richmond then?

Regarding standards The bulldogs vs demons game was good to watch... But then again the standard was only good because all the decent players were spread across 2 teams and not 8 or 18..

More decent players will develop off the back of training in a professional sports environment. Might take a few years but you have to start somewhere.

Presumably the AFLW players going back and play local league after the season?
I know Katie Brennan has been running clinics for girls with a couple of staff members from the Bulldogs

Agree… Just like the the Womans nfl lingerie league…

Alot of people watched for the “talent” in skimpy outfits untill these chicks started learning the game… Blocking and tackling at an elite level which came off the back of learning and studying in the elite environment…
Then the audience tuned in because of the level of play…
It will take time but like you said you have to start somewhere.

I know Katie Brennan has been running clinics for girls with a couple of staff members from the Bulldogs

They’ll still benefit from the experience and training within the system.

They’ll still benefit from the experience and training within the system.

That’s what I meant - they’ll take the “higher level” back with them

I’m in two minds. I want to like it and support it but as a former player in the VWFL, I would much rather have seen the money go into developing the game at grass roots level first. By giving the women’s game the proper basis at VWFL (or the other state’s leagues) and school level, that would then lead into a strong competition in future years which would be more sustainable than what they’re doing now.

Hope it works well for all concerned. I’ll be watching. Too much footy is not enough! I only hope we don’t end up with crowds like the women’s (and men’s) soccer get. Mums and Dads and a coupla friends dragged along. It will give something the Sydney ABC can’t ignore. A game with atmosphere not empty stands.

totally uninterested and unphased what happens to it

if its on TV and im bored as fark I might watch it out of sheer curiosity but i wont go out of my way

For those who only watch female sport when it involves tight clothes or lingerie, go **** yourselves into oblivion.

Apart from AFL/VFL Essendon games the only other sports I watch are rugby league & basketball so to get me to watch the new women’s AFL league is nigh on impossible. Irrespective of the clobber they wear I will not be part of the viewing audience.

In my experience the difference is that most people who say things like that about women’s sport are sports watchers in general, and are saying women’s sport isn’t worth watching for the sport. People who say it about men’s sport aren’t watching sports at all except for eye candy. It’s a fairly important difference to say “I don’t like watching sport but I like hotness so sometimes I watch” compared to “I like men’s sport, but women’s sport is only worth watching for hotness”. One is a value judgment on the concept of professional sport as entertainment, the other is on whether women should be taken seriously.

I say this as someone who has no interest in AFL Women’s whatsoever, and I’m not going to pretend I do just to seem progressive.

Of course, it’s baffling to me that someone with access to the contents of the entire internet would pick sports for titillation, so maybe I just don’t get it.

This was not your intent but I think you have kind of highlighted the problem with women’s sports. As a general rule men watch sports to see it at the highest level. The women’s version is rarely the highest level so men look for other things in the women’s version.

Women just don’t watch much sport. If women watched more sport it would not matter what men thought because it would not rely on that market.

You do realise our membership, and audience on match day, is 40%+ female?

Yes, 100% agree. This means that there is around 50% more male audience than female which is a huge difference. Outside of AFL the difference appears even wider: http://www.roymorgan.com/findings/5488-sports-viewing-on-tv-201403140213

If you look at a mostly female sport such as netball, the figures are horrid. That said, hopefully the new competition and subsequent better TV deal will improve things for netball.

My point being though that rather than doing the politically correct thing of just criticising any male that says something not politically correct about women’s sport, why not just encourage more women to watch sport particularly sport involving women? If that occurs, it won’t matter what males do as there won’t be a reliance on males for success/sustainability.

Yes, 100% agree. This means that there is around 50% more male audience than female which is a huge difference. Outside of AFL the difference appears even wider: http://www.roymorgan.com/findings/5488-sports-viewing-on-tv-201403140213

If you look at a mostly female sport such as netball, the figures are horrid. That said, hopefully the new competition and subsequent better TV deal will improve things for netball.

My point being though that rather than doing the politically correct thing of just criticising any male that says something not politically correct about women’s sport, why not just encourage more women to watch sport particularly sport involving women? If that occurs, it won’t matter what males do as there won’t be a reliance on males for success/sustainability.

why not just encourage more men to watch sport particularly sport involving men? If that occurs, it won’t matter what females do as there won’t be a reliance on females for success/sustainability.

Stats are a dangerous thing, nowadays.

No. but thanks for asking

I’ll be watching to see if there are any hotties.

Why not both.gif

I'll be watching to see if there are any hotties.

The funny thing is, after looking at the current lot of promo pictures, the cynic in me says that the AFL has stage-managed the whole thing to make sure that there will be plenty of ‘hotties’ precisely to appeal to guys like you. I don’t know whether the VWFL has changed since the days I played (mid-90s) and it quite possibly could have with the uptick of women playing footy but back then some of the best players in the league were exactly the kind of butch dykes I’m sure most people think of when they consider the stereotypical woman footballer.

As the father of a six year-old daughter who recently declared she wants to play hockey for Australia at the Olympics, I’m all in favour of pathways being opened for women to achieve in high-level sport. If it gets kids active in sport it’s a good thing, if it promotes football as a sport it’s a good thing, if it gives women access to elite sport/training facilities it’s a good thing. Australia has a rising problem with obesity, so who can complain about more sporting opportunities for both males and females? Hopefully Essendon will be able to enter a team in the league in the near future so we can provide an option for fans who can’t bring themselves to offer support to those other rancid excuses for football clubs. The club will regret it if they miss the wagon on this one. I don’t think this is about being seen to be doing the right thing or making a token effort to be inclusive. It is the right thing and it does provide inclusiveness to everyone.

The Big Bash showed that it’s possible to start up a new league that comes from an existing sport and get massive popularity, the AFLW can do this too. My whole family is going to a couple of WBBL games as they are played during the day which means my young kids aren’t up late and I want to show my daughter that girls can reach elite levels in sport, it’s up to her if she wants to put in the effort to get there. Perfect opportunity. If you don’t think women can play high standard cricket, then you haven’t seen players like Meg Lanning and Elise Perry.

Also, my wife just got elected to the Women of the MCC comittee that supports programs for girls and women in sport, they help fund girls on scholarship programs to go to talent camps for cricket, etc, as well as providing funding and equipment for girls sport in other countries.

So, yeah, I’m in favour of it and hope like hell it succeeds.

I'll be watching to see if there are any hotties.

The funny thing is, after looking at the current lot of promo pictures, the cynic in me says that the AFL has stage-managed the whole thing to make sure that there will be plenty of ‘hotties’ precisely to appeal to guys like you. I don’t know whether the VWFL has changed since the days I played (mid-90s) and it quite possibly could have with the uptick of women playing footy but back then some of the best players in the league were exactly the kind of butch dykes I’m sure most people think of when they consider the stereotypical woman footballer.

It was still the same in open age/seniors around 2011/2012 (you could turn the off field shenanigans into a year long series and it’d win every ratings battle)
More, dare I say, “normal” girls playing nowadays though I’d say roughly 1/3 of my friends side are bi or homosexual (it’s funny listening to the girls on both sides asking for their opponents numbers after the game lol)

With no Essendon team in the comp, do you have any interest in the competition at all?

Would you follow it more if there were an Essendon team, and do you hope we will eventually field one?

Personally I find it hard to care at all, and not because of the standard, which I am sure will be excellent, but because there is no chance in hell I’ll be barracking for anyone other than the mighty red and black.

You?

Nope not interested even if we had our own team. Don’t get me wrong and shoot me down, im no mysoginist I love and respect women and believe they belong in high places like men, but all I see is the AFL trying to keep media space active.
Gillian is a farcking joke and hypocrite. He handled the Dustin Martin chop sticks issue well. He’s also handled the drugs agenda well, the AFL is a laughing stock on that front.

Anything the AFL does to promote women or anti drugs is to self serve their alleged socially responsible over inflated egos. They have no right to become socially responsible they should concentrate on making the game better. Eliminate the number of 1 X 1 plays and get more contested footy into the game instead of promoting their self serving ego maniacal hypocritical agendas.

There … rant over.

I couldn’t give a rats toss bag.