AFLX Draft - you won’t believe which four players are going to suffer Windy Hill Flu

Why aren’t we playing one?

I am happy enough with 2 hit outs. Reckon that is enough. Aim is to fine tune the game plan without risking too many injuries.

I am going to hitup that JLT game though. Looking for hard defensive effort.

Blooody collaborators…

1 Like

So if we don’t have to play AFLX why are we?

Just start the ■■■■■■■ football, already.
If they started tonight with three rounds of JLT, there’d be more than one game per day between now and a week before the season starts.
You know what gets people talking about football?
■■■■■■■ football.

8 Likes

Also James Hird coaching again.

6 Likes

Funny thing is, an extra round of televised JLT matches would collectively bring them better ratings.

No one is going to go out of their way to watch AFLX. In fact, outside of Melbourne, I don’t imagine many people know what it is or even realise that it’s on.

1 Like

This reads like something put out by the Federal Democratic Free People’s Republican Democracy of North Korea.

I don’t want the football to start yet.

AFL is absolutely obsessed with dominating as much of the year as possible. It’s the wrong lever to pull. It just results in people being football fatigued before the regular season has even finished.

Limit the product and you create more interest, bigger crowds, better ratings. When you try to dominate more of the year all that does is reduce interest, leading to lower crowds and lower ratings. Exhibit A: this year’s BBL.

3 Likes

Ratings from people that will already watch when the season starts. No growth in that.

Even if we accept that ‘growth’ is this virtue that all codes need to aspire to all the time, why on earth would you think that AFLX will result in growth?

Ironically, what would actually result in significant growth is further investment and resources put into the AFLW, which is exactly where this AFLX money should have gone in the first instance.

2 Likes

100%

Auskick participation? Potential format for an all-star game?

How do we know money went to AFLX instead of AFLW?

How are you tying AFLX to Auskick?

1 Like

I wasn’t saying that money had been removed from AFLW, im saying if “growth” is what you’re after then AFLW would have been a better place to spend the AFLX money. Or a team in Tassie, or better grassroots facilities for rural clubs, or about 100 other ideas.

Re Auskick. Show me an Auskick clinic full of kids wearing ‘Riewoldt’s Rampage’ or ‘Dangerfield’s D0uchbags’ or whatever jumpers and you might have a point. But we both know that won’t actually happen, surely

2 Likes

This event is clearly aimed at kids?

• free kids tickets to start with
  • superhero theme
  • over the top rules
  • cartoon posters

Oh, right.
You mean the idea is that kids will see AFLX and want to play Auskick.

I guess it’s a good theory.
I don’t think it’s working.

1 Like

I wonder what the AFL’s criteria is for it to be deemed a success?

1 Like

Yep - or thinking about going to the shops and buying footy cards, or bugging the folks to take them to a game, or putting a poster up on the wall…

I’m really looking forward to the game day thread.

1 Like