AFL - Terrible Ideas, Too Many Ideas, No Idea…

That sounds awesome. Are you trying to spin this as a negative?

I don’t see how that really benefits WC at all however.

Irrespective of them being out of finals contention NicNat is a main draw card that gets people through the gates.

If they are going to hand over a star player and thus make their team less competitive & less likely to win why would their supporters bother going to games. They’d want to see their favourite players & want to think their team is giving itself best chance to win. The AFL wants this also.

It’s not like if we are going to hand them back a star player given we are finals worthy.

It seems ridiculous

If it was us in that situation I sure as hell wouldn’t want to be seeing JD go to the Pies just to help them push into finals because their actual fwd line is trash.

As for a team going through a rebuild well if they offloading star they’d want high draft picks back which can’t be achieved mid season & also does nothing to help the remainder of their year.

The only way I see it working is literally switching of fringe players shoring up depth in areas a club may not have. Ie. we have too many young HFF types, but no young kpf’s.

I really dislike the whole concept of mid season trades however

1 Like

West Coast, unlike Melbourne, have never tanked for a better draft pick?

…and watch the league fall into a ■■■■ heap like it did in the 80’s. Goodo!

Mid season trade excuses list managers for poor trading decisions…why have them at all if it actually comes in, just hire Kermit the Frog.

I keep hearing this excuse but why do people think those that make bad decisions once a year won’t make bad decisions twice a year?

Collingwood could’ve dug themselves into a Chris mayne shaped hole in half the time!

1 Like

WC did a good job in 2008.

Swap the clubs and replace Natanui with Daniher. Does it sound awesome then?

No … the opposite of a really good thing isn’t a really good thing. Shocking!

Clubs aren’t going to loan their best players out

Yep. What a ridiculous hypothetical.

2018 AFLX Fixture

Match
Venue
Time*
Thursday, February 15
Teams competing:
Adelaide Crows, Port Adelaide, Fremantle, West Coast Eagles, Collingwood and Geelong Cats
Hindmarsh Stadium, Adelaide
TBC
Friday, February 16
Teams competing:
Carlton, Essendon, North Melbourne, St Kilda, Hawthorn and Melbourne
Etihad Stadium, Melbourne
TBC
Saturday, February 17
Teams competing:
Sydney Swans, GWS Giants, Brisbane Lions, Gold Coast Suns, Richmond and Western Bulldogs
Allianz Stadium, Sydney
TBC
Further information, including details of an official launch of AFLX, will be provided in the coming weeks along with ticketing details for the Adelaide, Melbourne and Sydney tournaments.
What is AFLX?
AFLX, a fast and exciting version of Australian Football, is to be played on a rectangular field and aims to showcase the unique and most thrilling aspects of the game to attract new fans.
The public will get their first chance to see AFLX in February 2018 when Adelaide, Melbourne and Sydney host individual tournaments featuring all 18 AFL Clubs.

Anyone have any info on what this team might be made up of.
I recon we will field mostly VFL team players.

I hope.

I love the AFL’s response…
“Yea so we did mention money for the winning club… but that’s not going to happen. We just hope the clubs show good faith and put their best players forward.”

Clubs: “So you want us to risk our best players getting injured for nothing but being known to win a comp that no one cares for?”

AFL: Yes.

3 Likes

AFL want the best of the best to showcase that clubs will play this piece of ■■■■ for no reward… AFL eyes:

Hurley, Joe Dan, Hooker, Merrett, Heppell, McGrath, Saad, Smith etc

But in reality all clubs should field the likes of:

Guelfi, Mynott, Clarke, Bezerker, Laverde… to show unless they get some big coin or reward in points or something, they get the 2nds.

2 Likes

What is it, 2 halves of 10 mins? It’s just a training drill.

But do you really want to risk your best? Docherty and Williams did major injuries in training drills.

I would hate to lose a best 22 in this rubbish

NOBODY WATCH THIS SH/T

3 Likes

If they televised Essendon playing lawn bowls against Carlton I would watch.
Sorry.

10 Likes

Well then, and not to put too fine a point on it, you (and everyone else who thinks the same way) are the only reason that this ridiculous format even exists.

They know there are certain people who will watch ANYTHING involving their team, and therefore the opportunity exists for them to make a quick buck. That’s the reason for the format. Money. More money.

Don’t worry about the fact that nobody’s asked for the format, and nearly everyone derides it and thinks it’s a terrible idea. Just make more money.

And if this works, I’m sure there will be an opportunity in the schedule for AFL 5 on 5 or something in December, or some AFL/basketball hybrid exhibition game on New Years Eve.

If you want it to go away then the ONLY way to do that is to not watch. Don’t watch it, don’t read anything about it, ignore it completely. However, if you want it to go away but you still give into temptation and give it a sneaky watch anyway then you are not part of the problem, you are the problem.

2 Likes