AFL - Terrible Ideas, Too Many Ideas, No Idea…

I reckon we just make the draftees promise to choose the team they’d least like to play for, and then allocate that team to them.

Too many people AFL house with not enough to do.

3 Likes

Yep, and they can’t afford to give the players the rise they want because they have all of these bureaucrats sitting around working out how the afl can make more money

1 Like

Stupid stupid stupid idea
Top side of the (arbitrary) bottom bracket only plays teams below them; bottom side of the (arbitrary) top bracket only plays sides above them. Can anyone work out which spot you’d rather be in?

How can anyone think this would be a good idea.

5 Likes

Why?

Best idea I’ve ever heard re draft picks was from AN10, allocate pick 1 to the first side mathematically ruled out of finals, pick 2 to the second side ruled out etc.
Would help ensure bottom 4 coaches don’t try and tank the last month, like they often do now.

Anything decided by an arbitrary line is going to dangle the carrot of tanking.

4 Likes

Isn’t the top 8 set in the first six rounds statistically? Around 2/3rds of the season is a waste of time. Less football would mean more meaningful games a year.

4 Likes

Which system is easiest for them to fix?

There’s only one thing we can be certain of in this discussion: the AFL’s not going to want less product to sell.

2 Likes

Correct. So that’s why it’s twisting itself in knots coming up with ideas other than “less football”.

Maybe I’m just jaded but why would anyone even care? All I care about when it comes to AFL these days is watching the Bombers.

The game has been ■■■■■■ with way too much already to care about fixtures and drafts.

The dumb ■■■■■ supposedly running it just need to shut the ■■■■ up and realise it’s not all about them.

7 Likes

I’m not going to give my 17 round speech again.

17 rounds.

Do it.

FFS.

2 Likes

About time the AwFuL looked at making some changes to the competition, we haven’t had any changes for weeks now.

5 Likes

All this crap is what you get when the office boys start to believe they are the show.

9 Likes

I ■■■■■■■ hate the football world.

3 Likes

How is it that every other sport in the world essentially has stayed the same.

And our game has constantly been dicked around with.

Leave the god damn game alone. If you need fixture equalization, make it an 18round season! If tanking occurs who gives a ■■■■, it’s the bottom teams right to position themselves accordingly and if that means blooding kids well so be it, will help them in years to come.

Every rule change & every consideration about the fixture is about $$ and the bonuses of the AFL executive.

Better spectacle. More attendances. More people viewing on TV. Larger TV rights deals. More sponsors. More profitability = bigger bonuses.

2 Likes

Because most of the big ones in the world had their massive evolutions about 50 years ago.

But that assumes that people that support teams unlikely to make the 8 have no interest in watching those teams.
If you look at crowd figures say in the last 5 rounds there is no significant drop off.

I assume that you can’t move outside the 6 you’re in? So top 6 fight for first 6 spots, next 6 fight for 7th and 8th?

Of course, it is an AFL idea so every chance your scenario is what they are thinking.

Relegation.
Stops tanking, maintains interest.

3 Likes

Would be worth seeing whether the same is true for gambling revenue. Possibly why they don’t want dead rubbers and teams tanking, the bookies will want to keep the money rolling in.