AFL - Terrible Ideas, Too Many Ideas, No Idea…

I don’t think anyone is genuinely ■■■■■■. Id be very very surprised if that was the case

1 Like

It’s kind of like watching golf pros play mini golf. Why bother.

The worst part was listening to the commentary when Gil was in the box. His comments were essentially

• we want more high marks, so we will look at bringing in zones
• we want to be able to sell teams on the international market
• we want Steve Johnson and other retired
players to be able to do this sort of thing
•zones
•you can leave your seat and go downstairs and have a drink or watch the performers

Just bring back a knockout pre season competition in the JLT.

This makes literally zero sense to me. Zones are not going to stop sides wanting to retain possession. If anything zones will create less high marking by creating more space and encouraging short kicking to leading targets like we see with X.

Congestion forces hurried long disposal which creates opportunity for speccies.

These drongos are going to kill the game and the club’s need to stage a mutiny. The number of times I’ve heard the word zone out of Gilligan’s mouth over the past week is a massive red alert.

It’s getting to the stage where I think blitz should consider leading an anti zone letter writing campaign to the club and the AFL. If that doesn’t work we should hijack the next members Forum and try and ask as many anti zone questions as possible

3 Likes

Any mention of polo?

He gave the zones speech two days in a row?

Just get rid of all this preseason crap and play 4 or 5 extra rounds of the real stuff

1 Like

Well, I have watched a fair few games of this now and still dont know what to make of it!

I guess the first thing is - it isnt that bad, but - needs improvement & Isnt AFL.

Having this as a warm up to the season type affair for AFL players I think is wrong. It would suit better as a summer league type scenario with AFL teams, but different lists/group of players who specifically play it. We are now gearing for the AFL season, not the time to play his stuff.

On the rules - it is clear they havnt worked. I think the AFL and a couple of clubs (ie us) thought it was was a speed type game, but it isnt - it is a skill/precision game and we really came unstuck.

Thus, it can be improved immensely by understanding this. The first thing that should go is the mark - this slows the game down and turns it from a free flowing affair to a precision based game. Would add more tackling and contested play rather than the bruise free stuff on hand.

There would be one caveat - a 30m zone from goal where marks can be paid. In addition - the 40m 10 point line gets moved to 50 - creating a harder shot for maximum points.

THIS would drive teams to go long to the inevitable contest inside 30m from goal - and potentially the return of the one-on-one fwd contest/big mark/speccy/goal kicking power forward etc.

Id get rid of behinds, not needed at all. After a 50m + 10 pointer, the ball goes back to the centre to allow goal celebrating/replay etc which really was a blight on these games.

Call me mad, I think it has potential but just isnt AFL and shouldnt be confused as such.

8 Likes

When Shane savage is staring in the comp you know nobody is caring at all. Our players looked like they were treating it like a drill. Even McGrath let players run past him. He never would let that happen last year.

I don’t mind the idea of zones as starting points after scores and boundary throw ins, it will spread the field better. It’s already somewhat done at the centre bounce.
I do have concerns though that these idiots will take it too far and have zones when the ball is in play, that would be ■■■■.

We did not get an injury. That’s good.

3 Likes

I think that’s right. Being forced to pull a forward it maybe two back would be the end of the world but it’s a slippery slope. Regardless it will not increase high marking

Personally I think the game has been in great shape the last couple of years. I wish these fuckwits would stop ■■■■■■■ with it

3 Likes

GS
GA
WA
C
whatever else positions there are in netball.

1 Like

Can you imagine if there were no zones at centre bounces. There’d be 30 players in at the centre bounce. Nobody even notices it because it makes no difference to where you can run once the ball is ‘in play’.
Anyway i can tell Steve hocking is a big advocate for zones so it will no doubt come in the next few years. The afl is doing their ‘conditioning’ with the public as we speak. As i said before, i just hope its restricted to times when the ball is out of play and doesn’t include ball ups. I think if that’s done it would actually improve congestion and allow players to show their skills a bit more.

1 Like

In the end: can this be a stand-alone sport in which you get to watch your team for the entirety, and for long enough to make it worth the trip? At the moment the answer is obviously no, so it’s a dud regardless of all its other faults.

Maybe it works as a recreational tool, in front of no one, something that trains you how not to play footy, but that’s it.

X is rubbish. However, good on the Afl for not being complacent and trying to grow the brand. Union, basketball and soccer in Australia are recent examples of what happens when you have an if-it-aint-broke-don’t-fix-it attitude in sport. Every sport is a little ‘broke’ in places so if you don’t look to continually improve and evolve, both the game and the marketing, you will eventually get overlooked when the next, new shiny thing comes along.

Zaharakis said at the family day today the players involved only ran 2.5 kms while the rest of the list ran 10 in training so those who played are behind on running.

I can’t see clubs supporting it if it puts players behind in their prep

2 Likes

Why show a format to the world that isnt the real deal? Its like showing off a Kia when tring to sell a Hyundai!
Isnt the real game confusing enough to explain to people who have never seen it, let alone a hybrid version thrown in there too?
I refuse to watch it.

3 Likes

Cool your jets, Fark Carlton lover.

1 Like