AFL - Terrible Ideas, Too Many Ideas, No Idea…

Of fark off.

Turn it into arena football played over the summer with its own teams if you want just leave us out of it.

2 Likes

So everyone liked it apart from the fans?

So why continue?

5 Likes

I wonder if Foxtel got something for giving up 9 games… or whether they concluded that as long as they had SOME of the pre-season, they would get the same tragics to pay up and not have to send broadcast teams to 9 black stumps.

I hate gil more than vlad

6 Likes

http://www.theroar.com.au/2018/02/16/afl-x-cess-thats-much-man/

1 Like

That’s a quality rant, albeit very factual.

“This game is the latest splash of diarrhoea as icing on the faecal sundae that’s been the AFL [pre-season] for a while now”

1 Like

Something has to be done about the tossbags running the game. Is it the commission’s fault or is it simply Gil? Either way, it seems the hard part is getting the right people at the top. The easy part would be to leave the farking game alone and just be administrators, who look after the farking basics

5 Likes

I think the games need to involve taking the ball from one end of the ground to the other, long shots for goal on such a small ground takes away the excitement for me and just turns into who is the best long shot for goal, which is boring.

A suggestion would be to have the soccer goals and scoring system used in the combined rules with the Irish. Alternatively you could have a 25m arc from goal and any mark taken within the arc is worth 6 points which must be followed a kick for goal resulting in a further 6 points, 1 point or 0 points.

The international rules game is 100 times more interesting than aflx.

2 Likes

They want high marks AND long goals, and using the corners more…hmmm

The focus group is never wrong!

2 Likes

I got around to watching the replays of our two games. Some thoughts

*have no idea why people are questioning saad. That first run was going to be blistering before he got pinned. Kicked a good goal, didn’t panic with it and maintained possession.

• I still like smack. Shoot me

• Parish needs to work on his overhead stuff. If he’s not going to mark it, at least make it a neutral contest. Gets beaten far too often over his head. He’s kicking looks improved to me, much more penetrating. He and McGrath will improve our midfield

• Guelfi looks alright

• tippa will go up another level, again

• we only lost because we were trying to smack them outside 40 consistently

• Zaharakis looked clean

• if we insist on turning Langford into something he’s not, let him play as a link and run midfielder. His marking, and link up is good, has no issue doing this

There was really nothing good or bad to worth worrying about. No injuries. Roll on the tigers

5 Likes

This stood out in the intra club too

When l was a kid my mates and l used to play 2 on 2 tournaments on a basketball court. One bounce only, had to be over half court line to shoot for goal. Backboard and below was goals. Games consisted of one on one marking contests and contested ball.
Good times!!!

1 Like

I went to the games on Friday night…

Was wondering around and just happened to look up at a TV and we had been playing for 3 mins. So no big fanfare of the bounce…bit like rugby

There is no atmosphere…6 teams with 22,000 there means more opposition supporters than our supporters. So there is a very muted cheering during play.

A Goal celebration lasts for about 1.5 seconds because the ball comes back in quickly and you then have to focus on play

I left when we had played our second game as did a few thousand others…I would image the grand final would have been the same atmosphere as under 9’s in a local league

Would I go again? yeah Narh

Teams are “knocking down the door” to play overseas. If you can’t get more than 22k in Melbourne for six teams how many people are you planning to bus in at an international venue?

2 Likes

I liked one thing and one thing only only from this. The 25mtr penalty. Surely it can be brought in for minor “incidents” like encroaching the mark or the protected area ■■■■.

Harsh. With just 16 extra teams involved, AFLX drew 825 more people than went to that single AFLW match last week.

2 Likes

This should be set up like the IPL and the Big Bash. Have franchise teams which aren’t associated with AFL clubs, but AFL players can play for whatever team bids for them.
There can be lots of teams so good second tier players get a gig also.

I think you might find that the club’s will be reluctant to release contracted players.