AFL - Terrible Ideas, Too Many Ideas, No Idea…

Probably, afl clubs are notoriously protective. Maybe afl clubs could be involved, but teams wont be representing them as such.

Cricket teams are a lot more flexible with their players.

That’s the only way it can work, imo, as paying the stars shitloads of money is the only way you’ll get them to play.

Thing is though, in order to fund that, there would need to be a massive TV rights deal, and AFLX doesn’t have India to sell them to, like the big bash does.

Geez. Before you start worrying about separate leagues (which obviously will never happen), worry about making it worth watching.

True, the audience here is very limited. If this aflx stuff is to create new interest and/or expansion, it needs to go in a different direction than just to have the established afl clubs.

There may be dozens of hurdles to this idea, but hey, I’m just the ideas man.

…but… ACROBATS

While the mime was the best bit of the night, I’m not going to attend a multi-hour mime show every week.

This is how they should have set up the women’s comp, but the afl was lazy, pushed the responsibility onto the clubs to make the teams and borrowed the equity of the teams to garner support. Now they plan to expand quickly only to let other clubs in, further diluting the quality when it should be left to grow naturally as the talent pool permits.

That’s because (a) there is far less chance of injury in cricket and (b) the shield teams don’t pay much in wages so they simply have less control

1 Like

Cricket teams are paid to be flexible.

I hardly think AFLX is going to draw in 10x more attendees & ratings than AFL any time soon, which is what happens with BBL v SS.

Everyone’s entitled to their opinion about AFLX but if you reckon it’s no good, you’re wrong! :grinning: Like the Neanderthal’s tucked away in their comfy caves before you, change is inevitable so it shouldn’t be about no,no, no. Let’s look at the product, modify it accordingly and embrace its potential as a family friendly event.

It’s called progress, keeping the game (or at least a version of it) relevant in a climate that demands diversity/creativity/entertainment.

Not only ex players but current day players reckon it’s fun/enjoyable too so it can’t be all bad unless, of course, you’re one of those rusted on traditionalist who’s default position to change is vitriolic disdain.

#movinwiththetimesyoushouldtryit

1 Like

Have to wonder just how much the AFL have really thought this through. What works for one sport (cricket) does not meant it will necessarily work for other sports.

says you with an avatar from the 1930s :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Avatar: D Reynolds, icon. Running machine, which will be an aspect of the game for some time yet. Reminds me of me, the running component that is. That’s why I went for it. That could be a good topic one day … why Blitzers chose the avatar they’ve got today?

1 Like

Maybe they could play it in the jungle or afterwards the players cook for each other in their kitchens or get married.

2 Likes

I’m playing AFLX… Get me outta here!

5 Likes

I said worth watching, people, not watched by many. Though I assume the AFL is indeed less interested in the former.

Not sure how many viewers they got, but it wasn’t in the top 20 shows for any of the three days, and was at least 3-4 times less than the top show of the day (which was 7 News and would have given it a timely plug on the Thursday and Friday night).

Tv ratings on aflx

Melbourne avg audience Thursday: 80,256
Melbourne avg audience Friday: 77,246
Melbourne avg audience Saturday: 26,245

Average viewing time just over half an hour

1 Like

The ratings exceeded our expectations so we’re really pleased with those numbers. We think the public has been very supportive of the concept and look forward to increased interest next year.

3 Likes

The afl need to go full retard on this concept, and maybe even give it a different name.

It’s not really aussie rules.