AFL - Terrible Ideas, Too Many Ideas, No Idea…

Ow.

Also, nelson.gif

What is the average avg audience on a Friday night AFL game?

Round 23 last year, Dawks vs Dogs

Melb 295K
Adel 157K

Other cities on another channel, not collectively reaching 373K.

(The week before, a more interesting game in Sydney vs Adelaide saw 352K for Melbourne but only 120K for Adelaide… I guess a lot of them were at the game!)

It’s a sport the AFL came up with.

I wish the AFL would leave Australian Rules Football alone by abandoning the sport completely, let the clubs run it with more representation than they have now, a modern version of how they used to. Leaving the AFL to fark owf and play the new hybrid toy they invented and contrived from other sports and run with it.

All pie in the sky but it’d be a nice way for us to rid ourselves of the feckers.

2 Likes

Apart from the fact the crowds were low (even with very low entrance fees), ratings were low, clubs played their 3rd string sides at best ( in fact most clubs fielded all rookies), no one cared if they won and there being a sh*t prize (a small x-trophy?), and it had the atmosphere of a dead fish with literally no goal celebrations, and throw in most audience reactions were very bad…I’d say it were a raging success!

The version of the game is bred out of the AFL trying for a cash grab, seeing $$$ signs and hoping to emulate a 20/20 version of AFL and it’ll go down in flames. Asking commentators if they like the game with Gillon McLachlan sitting right next to them, is like being asked if you like your job with your boss sitting right next to you. Most public reaction has been very poor and most players were about as disinterested as you can get “it was a good hitout”. The game itself was an abomination, low levels of skill (majority rookies), pot shots from wherever and no tackling or marking, it’s basically a training drill with bean bags and LED goal posts. I think most people will see this as the scummy cash grab that it is. Worry less about expanding and worry more about making the game not seem like sh*t first.

6 Likes

All of that and more.

This is why, imo, if they are going to persist with it, go nuts with the concept with franchise teams, different rules, clowns, square shaped balls or whatever, but don’t call it footy.

Opinions are varied.
When Essendon played, interest levels spiked.
Did you happen to see Scott’s reaction on the sidelines?
Don’t tell he wasn’t invested.
I’m not going to waste time trying to convince people of its merits.
But rest assured, this thing WILL take off (after a few tweaks)
So, either bury your collective heads in the sand.
Or open your mind to a backyard (not world) of possibilities.
It’s going to be fun and an engaging entree to the main game, in time.

It’s still rubbish.

It will never be engaging #boringasfuck

Yeah I finally watched the games. It’s $HIT!

Impressed with Saad and Langford though.

I watched it on the Thursday. Was open minded about the game concept itself but was hoping like hell we’d enjoy a radical makeover of the commentary approach along the lines of what they did with BBL. I guess if you wish in one hand and shi.t in the other you know which fills up first. Boring, banal, hackneyed tripe. And the game? Meh.

Far too kind.

It’s pure shyte

Haven’t you heard? Langford was ■■■■, AFLex told us so. A line has been ruled through him. Delist.

I didn’t really enjoy it. Thursday was pretty much horrible. Friday, I watched because of us. It didn’t have the exciting elements I expected. Saturday, I did more interesting things, like painting the house.
But by far and away, the greatest thing thatv turned me off was the FARKING CONSTANT FARKING MANUFACTURED FARKING COMMENTAORS telling us hoiw farking great and esciting it was and how everyfarkingbody loved it

2 Likes

Its a week later and i still dont get what the point of all this was.

How awkward was it when Gill asked them what they thought of it? "Oh Gill, such a great step forward for humanity! Such foresight and wisdom in one man! " “So what would you improve?” “Nothing save a lick of paint for the X, noble helmsman, ha ha ha!” “I think we should have more contests, marks and maybe zones” “Yes, yes, you’re right, of course it can improve, of course! Thank you for such guidance, may your pony never falter!”

9 Likes

Brayshaw was particularly despicable

I’m just going to stick this here. Xavier in the press complimenting AFLx and saying we should look at reducing the length of senior games to 15 minute quarters plus time on.

Presently a game of AFL football is a glorious feast full of action and excitement. Including the breaks it’s the length of a movie with a decent run time. You get a lot of bang for your buck. It’s a far more substantial meal than a game of league or association football which in comparison is over in the blink of an eye, extra time in elimination rounds aside.

I can’t help but think that this talk is driven by little more than than the potential for it to reduce overheads. It’s like the bags of chips that several years ago were 200g but are now closer to 150g but cost the same.

Can we not do that to football please.

3 Likes

Don’t reduce the length of the games. Reduce the length of the season . it will do much more to reduce injury than slicing a bit off the games.

17 rounds. Every game means more. Attendances and interest through the roof. Less injuries. Better quality football. Less meaningless games.

If the broadcasters complain (which they will) give them a play off week (7 v 10, 8 v 9) and a state of origin week to compensate.

1 Like

oooooooooft