AFL - Terrible Ideas, Too Many Ideas, No Idea…

As long as we add more banjo I don’t really care TBH.

Early set-up for April :wink:

No joke, I actually checked the date just to make sure when i first read it.

Sounds like it’s been put through auto tune and consequently robbed it of authenticity.

jeez caddy looks like hardwick in that picture… had a double take with that one

2 Likes

http://m.essendonfc.com.au/video/2018-03-16/our-2018-club-song

Yep, it sounds like a fascimile of the original. So close as to be completely redundant.

This must have something to do with copyright & royalties (i.e. the AFL reducing their spend by not having to pay rights to someone or other). It’s quite common-place for musicians to re-record their songs in a manner almost identical to the original for use in movies, to avoid paying royalties to the original performers/publishers/record labels etc. and to take back some ownership of their material. Acts like Squeeze or Blondie have recently re-recorded and released their entire catalogue of greatest hits (see below). When played in the background of a movie would you be able to spot the difference?

Chances are the currently used singers/musicians of the updated club songs were given a one-off payment and signed their lives away in perpetuity…

1 Like

The only good thing to come of this is the new Fark Carlton song…big LOL

It’s a big day for dumb ideas and dumb implementation…

I can’t see any possible way this could result in draft tampering, every single year.

3 Likes

There is clearly a lot of dead weight working at the afl on big wages who need to justify their jobs by changing and reviewing things constantly. It’s the only way to explain this constant needless meddling.

8 Likes

Serious question - what is it about the current trading and draft system that is a serious problem that has required this activity by the AFL?

1 Like

Anything to do with draft and trading is fairly much following the requests of players. I suspect S.Hocking wants to leave his stamp on the game, so expect more changes - Some will be good and some bad.

If taken on face value, the problem being addressed is that not enough teams are competing for the premiership in any given year and that the time from bottom to competing is too long. Gil’s view is that the primary reason is insufficient player movement, and in a very basic way he’s right.

It’s fundamentally true the reason carlton aren’t premiership contenders this years is because they don’t have enough good players. Yes game plans and such, but it’s mostly players.

However, it’s equally true that every rule they’ve introduced to free up player movement is resulted in the overall movement of good players from bad clubs to good clubs for insufficient compensation. This is most likely because players are unfortunately human beings rather than chunks of salary cap and draft value.

1 Like

Perhaps the AFL should consider a sliding TPC from 18th to 1st - where the premiership team have to play for free and the love of the game, and the wooden spoon players get all the chockies. That’ll fark em up. I’m such a wasted talent.

4 Likes

So we are now playing for the preeemiership flag?!

I understand complacency is dangerous is business, but why are the bosses of the most popular sport in Australia hell bent on dumb ideas that don’t improve it in any way?

3 Likes

CIMG2567-590x442

Only a handful of pre-season draft picks have been used in the last few years.
Free Agency pretty much got rid of that option.

I see teams trading for the pick, so that they can low ball a trade deal or get him to walk to the pre-season draft for next to nothing.

Just get rid of the pre-season draft all together and force a player into the national draft. Oh and shift the rookie draft to the same night as the national draft. Just get it over with and let players get on with their pre-season.

There you have it - mid-season trade is going to happen in 2019.

Mid-season trade is new committee’s priority
Nick Bowen

FORMULATING a workable mid-season player movement model will be the first priority of the AFL’s competition committee.

The AFL announced on Wednesday it would establish a new broad-based committee that would replace the laws of the game committee, the player movement advisory panel and the League’s other advisory boards and committees.

AFL football operations manager Steve Hocking said the competition committee would be comprised of 10-15 members of the football industry, who would be drawn from club presidents, CEOs, senior coaches, players, football managers and list managers, and the AFL Players’ Association.

The committee’s main areas of responsibility will be:

• The game (laws, officiating, rules and regulations).
  • Player movement (the drafts, trading, free agency and list management).
  • Competition structure (the fixture, scheduling, feeder and second-tier competitions, talent pathways, and events such as AFLX and International Rules).

Hocking said he hoped to announce the members of the committee within three weeks, with its first meeting likely to occur in mid-to-late April.

The League’s footy boss confirmed on Wednesday a mid-season trade period or draft would not be introduced this season, saying it was “too difficult” for clubs to prepare for such a change now.

However, Hocking said investigating a suitable mid-season player movement model for 2019 would be the new committee’s first priority once it had been established and set out its own operating rules.

Hocking acknowledged a mid-season trade period could arouse concerns about tanking or one-sided games if lower-ranked teams weakened their lists for the second half of the season by trading senior players.

But Hocking was confident such concerns could be adequately addressed.

“I think with all of this in isolation definitely you could look at that and say that (tanking or one-sided games) might be a by-product of that,” Hocking said.

"It’s then what you do at the back-end of the season, so that doesn’t happen. It’s how you keep that team engaged in the season – there’s a range of different things you can do.

“I’m smiling because I’ve got some stuff in my head, but I’m not going to share it now.”

Asked whether the AFL could introduce a lottery similar to that used in America’s NBA to determine the early selections in the NAB AFL Draft, Hocking said simply: “Who knows?”

“It’s about landing on the thing that is right for the industry,” he said.

Hocking also said the role of the runner would be “one of the things on notice” for the committee.

The League declined to implement the restrictions trialled in the JLT Community Series – runners were only allowed on the ground after goals and during quarter breaks – for this year’s home and away season.

But the committee will review that ahead of the 2019 season.

Hocking said any changes for next season would be communicated to clubs by October.

Unlike many of the AFL’s existing committees, the competition committee will not comprise past players who aren’t directly working at a club or in another role aimed at “progressing the game”.

In this regard, Hocking noted it was important for the committee to balance preserving the competition’s heritage with ensuring the game progresses.

The members of the competition committee will be selected by AFL CEO Gillon McLachlan, commissioner Jason Ball, Hocking and head of competitions and player movement Josh Vanderloo.

An AFL commissioner and Hocking will chair the committee, which will meet three times in 2018 and four times a year thereafter.

Its meetings will be held shortly before AFL Commission meetings, with its brief to put recommendations on key projects to the AFL executive and, if they pass that scrutiny, to the Commission.

The Commission will retain final decision-making authority.

I’m gonna try really hard not to pre-judge and over-react.

Yeah, I know.