Andrew Gaff - RFA

Gaffs better than our whole midfield bar zerrett, maybe Heppell. It’s like we’re choc filled with blokes who get it 30+ times a week consistently the way you lot carry on. He’s just about a elite midfielder who influences games all the time, absolutely lol worthy people saying they don’t want him

Absolute no brainer to go after him if available

14 Likes

Cool your jets, Gaff lover.

did he play tonight?

1 Like

Saw him in Row J a few times tonight, seemed allergic to getting near it.

2 Likes

Apart from the 25 times he touched it, more times than any of our midfielders in Sydney touched it.

I get that people have criticisms of him, that’s fine. But what is plain ridiculous are posts insinuating he’s no good. Like we don’t need him. Has anyone actually seen our midfield for the last decade, or more? Gaff is a walk up start to any side in the game

4 Likes

I’ve never said he is no good I just think he is as soft as butter and a massive one way runner. He has no problem getting it but has zero defensive aspect to his game and when his opponent has the ball he refuses to tackle and just puts a token jog on. He is a very good outside runner which isn’t a high priority for us IMO

1 Like

bingo!! our fwd line and def is reasonably strong, our mid is a very clear weakness, outside of zach and hep theres not a lot of quality there, gaff would be a great acquisition

I reckon it’s a huge problem. It’s why colyer got so many games. No one to pressure his position. Imagine having a season of gaff, or trav. I know what I’d choose. We should be looking to improve whenever, wherever we can imo

3 Likes

completely agree, we need quality in the middle

He is definitely a upgrade on Trav but a outside mid is only as good as your inside mids allow. Take Mitchell and Priddis out of the Eagles and Gaff would struggle IMO. Players like Gaff and Trav are the cream on top, we need ball winners first and foremost

While we do need inside mids, we also need outside mids as well. Gaff isn’t just an upgrade on Colyer, he’s about 5 models ahead, he’s an upgrade on zaharakis.
Get gaff and we just need one inside mid to bring in

1 Like

We need quality midfielders of all varieties.

Gaff is a quality midfielder.

4 Likes

Would rank 7th for contested possessions per game and 3rd for metres gained per game if he played for us this year.

Not as outside, soft or non penetrating as some of you believe.

His disposal efficiency of 74% is exceptionally high for a MIDFIELDER who has a high kick : handball ratio and is better than all our mids except;

Goddard
McGrath
Stanton

And with all due respect they were all really defenders last year for the majority of there games so they don’t really count.

Downhill skiing front runner, but a very good one. As wob said, with the right inside player around him to win the contested ball and dish it off to, he would be very effective for us. That’s the doubt. Jobe is gone, what else do we have inside? Not much really. Heppell and Zach and not purely inside players. Even if we ended up with Anthony Miles, which is suggested, we still have areas to address there…

Can play, but we’d need to offer pick 11 and then some

Not sure he is the value proposition of this trade period given our list profile

[quote="smooth, post:54, topic:11318, full:true"]

Downhill skiing front runner, but a very good one. As wob said, with the right indie player around him to win the contested ball and dish it off to, he would be very effective for us. That’s the doubt. Jobe is gone, what else do we have inside? Not much really. Heppell and Zach and not purely inside players. Even if we ended up with Anthony Miles, which is suggested, we still have areas to address there…
[/quote]
They going to make movies and write songs?

His stats sheet makes an interesting read, averages basically 30 touches a game but only 3.4 i50s per game, and 2.6 rebound 50s. Not exactly racking up those touches in dangerous spots, is he?

Also 2 tackles per game is absolutely pitiful for a full time mid.

Look, he’d be a huge upgrade on Colyer, but we’d have to trade at least our first 2 picks for him. Is he worth that?

1 Like

I don’t think so.

He is worth a fair bit. But not that much.

1 Like

Why would west coast trade a mid in his prime for anything less? You don’t trade your 25 year Olds for peanuts when you need to rebuild.

Maybe next year when he’s a free agent we can try and poach him as a Goddard replacement, but he’s not the type of player you make a godfather offer for.

Because he would need to be very highly paid to attract an end of first rnd compensation pick next year presuming he goes.

And that is best case scenario. Pick 19 next year.

But realistically I think without Priddis and Mitchell West Coast will struggle badly next year and in his role he will suffer. This year may be the best chance to capitalise on his value.

He is probably worth pick 11 straight swap max. Way better than what they will get in free agency.