ANNOUNCE FEWER OLYMPICS/PARALYMPICS/COMM GAMES

She may have been in attendance but King George VI opened the games.
My grandfather had a picture of it hanging up in his cigar room. I don’t know what ever happened to it but I have my suspicions

Bach said the only Monarch to have opened two editions of the Games, perhaps he meant an event venue ( like equestrian?)

Pretty sure she opened Montreal games in 76

1 Like

Getting closer to a sub two hour marathon in competition. Maybe it’s coming as he’s quoted:

“There is still more in my legs. I hope the future is still great. My mind is still moving, the body still absorbing the training.”

Kenya’s Kipchoge shatters marathon world record in Berlin

Kenya’s Eliud Kipchoge shattered his own marathon world record, winning the Berlin race with a time of 2:01.09 to shave half a minute off his previous mark set in the German capital four years ago.

Key points:

• The 37-year-old Eliud Kipchoge ran the entire marathon in just over 2 hours
  • He set a blistering pace along the flat inner-city course
  • Fellow Kenyan Mark Korir came in second and Ethiopian Tatu Abate third

The 37-year-old, who has now won 15 of his 17 career marathons, including two Olympic triumphs and 10 major titles, was in a class of his own.

He set a blistering pace along the flat inner-city course on an overcast day to cement his status as the greatest ever marathon runner.

“I am happy with my preparation and I think I was so fast because of the teamwork,” Mr Kipchoge said.

"Everything is down to teamwork.

“I planned to go out fast in the first half. I thought try to run fast. It was a marvellous performance.”

Only a handful of runners could keep up with his sub-three-minute kilometre split times in the early stages, along with the group of pacemakers.

He gradually shook off last year’s winner Guye Adola but fellow Ethiopian Andamlak Belihu refused to buckle, even as they raced through the halfway mark in under an hour.

Mr Belihu finally dropped back around the 27 kilometre-mark as Kipchoge pushed on for the record.

The Kenyan, who retained his Olympic title at the Tokyo Games last year, had fallen short of his world mark by just over a minute at the Tokyo Marathon in March, but he was not to be denied in Berlin.

Having slowed slightly in the second half of the race he still powered through the final 500-metre sprint.

Passing through the city’s iconic Brandenburg Gate just as the sun started to emerge, a beaming Mr Kipchoge crossed the finish line to set another record.

Mr Kipchoge is the only man to run a sub-two hour marathon when he clocked 1:59.40 on a specially designed track in Vienna in 2019 but the time is not officially recognised as it was not set in competition.

Asked whether he would attempt a sub-two hour run in Berlin next year, Kipchoge said: “Let us plan for another day. I need to celebrate this record and have to realise what happens. Just roll and see what happens.”

“There is still more in my legs. I hope the future is still great. My mind is still moving, the body still absorbing the training.”

Fellow Kenyan Mark Korir completed a one-two finish for the African nation, four minutes and 49 seconds behind, with Ethiopian Tadu Abate third.

Ethiopian Tigist Assefa stunned the field in the women’s race, winning in 2:15:37, the third-fastest time in history.

Only record holder Brigid Kosgei of Kenya and Briton Paula Radcliffe have run faster marathons.

Paul Scurrah’s current role is in inland freight IIRC and he is heavily involved in the politics of the proposed rail freight line to ports .
He would have more grasp of the mine field of Queensland politics than Gil, who in the past has not performed well in navigating politics outside of the AFL. His sports profile has also been mainly limited to a domestic sport which is not big in Qld.

Must be sad for “vaporflyers” that he was wearing alphaflys

According to a few guys I’ve spoken to in the industry who know Paul very well he isn’t fully interested in the job and the belief is that Gil will be announced this week

ANNOUNCE MASCOTS

Umm, what now?

I think you mean Mascots ANNOUNCED

1 Like

ANNOUNCE MASCOT CRITICISM

ANNOUNCE YOU WILL NEED TO GO HUNTING FOR THE CENSORED WORD WHICH SEEMS APPROPRIATE

Well the Olympics have always been about sex

Remember the 2012 London logo was Lisa Simpson giving a ■■■■■■■

At least they will be easy to find now!

1 Like

been a long time coming to break decastellas marathon record

2 Likes

For context I believe the tallest AFLW player is Tahlia Gillard at 190cm. There was a reason I was sooking last year as EFC took until the final H&A game to BRING HER IN.

EDIT: correction, maybe Kate Reynolds at the Bin Chickens, at 191cm or 1.91 m.

and we have a new Aus womens record too Sinead Diver.

2 Likes

Gotta get Sinead Diver into a full time environment - It’s outrageous that she is 46, a matter of two, works part tme and is producing these type of results - She can knock another 2 to 4 minutes in a full time environment which brings her into medal contention at the Olympics.

1 Like

Her issue in the past was she had trouble getting sponsors due to her age (45).
She is in a pretty professional environment with Melbourne Track club.
I guess govt wise how much should AA be throwing behind her etc to help make it full time.
Aussie athletes fall behind US athletes with sponsorship opportunities unless they move to the USA.

1 Like

Would she be eligible for any support from the Victorian Institute of Sport or other Vic government agency?