ANNOUNCE FEWER OLYMPICS/PARALYMPICS/COMM GAMES

Pretty much all Aus track and field athletes need to work, there just isn’t the $$ in it here. Even with a degree of support (I have no idea whether she gets any), VIS etc aren’t covering enough to allow anyone to go full time. We see it all the time in Aus track and field, and especially marathons. Obviously Diver is working part time, Liam Adams is a plumber, Lisa Weightman works full time I think, etc etc…

I don’t know the answer, but it’s the reality.

My frustration is that corporate Australia is poor at supporting indivdual or small groups of athletes - We can’t rely on Gerry Ryan to do it all - Nic Bideau with his successful team of successful athletes has never got the sponsorship they deserved.

2 Likes

I have no idea about how much Bideau’s group gets (they seemed to get a bit back in the day), but it has always felt that aths has been particularly poor and fragmented. I guess cycling is the same without Ryan?

Like everywhere in the world the football codes have basically devoured the entire sporting landscape. Maybe it’s blasphemy to say it on a football fan site, but that is not a good thing.

1 Like

Reckon in some circumstances a company can do more with branding if you sponsor an individual athlete as opposed to a team - You will then have an athlete who is committed to that sponsor and will closely identify with the brand.

2 Likes

Mayor of Brisbane getting annoyed by the lack of anything being done with Brisbane 2032

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1131397/brisbane-2032-chief-exec-announcement

Gilligan misses out on the Brisbane 2032 CEO role in what on the face of it seems a bizarre appointment

It’s a perfectly good appointment - The history of these roles shows it’s usually filled by a business type and not necessarily having a background in sport.

Consulting accountant.

FMD.

1 Like

Cindy Hook?

Has Alex Jones called her a hoax yet?

3 Likes

No but Rhys Mathieson has

1 Like

Haha.

Sounds like an alt-right 2A drag queen.

Channel 7 has lost the TV rights

Poor Darce

FFS

Peter Bol failed drug test: Athletics Australia rocked by Olympic hero doping scandal

Australia’s Olympic hero Peter Bol has rocked the athletics world by testing positive for a performance enhancing drug. What does it mean for his career?

Scott GullanScott Gullan

Follow

@gullanHeraldSun

2 min read

January 20, 2023 - 4:25PM

News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom0 comments

Peter Bol has failed a drug test

Peter Bol has failed a drug test

Australia’s Olympic hero Peter Bol has failed a drug test.

Athletics Australia have confirmed the 800m national record holder has returned a positive A sample to performance enhancing drug EPO and is now awaiting the results of the B sample.

Bol, 28, is protesting his innocence and tested positive in an out-of-competition test believed to be while staying with his family in Western Australia before Christmas.

He has provided his mobile phone and laptop to investigators with his Melbourne-based coach Justin Rinaldi and agent James Templeton also offering to do the same.

Bol was a favourite to be awarded Young Australian of the Year next Thursday but the drugs scandal is likely to impact on that selection.

He had won Western Australia’s Young Australian of the Year for his work as a coach, mentor, keynote speaker and his philanthropic efforts.

Australian Peter Bol tested positive for performance enhancing drugs

Australian Peter Bol tested positive for performance enhancing drugs

Australia’s track and field history has been relatively clear of drug scandals, the previous biggest involved sprinter Dean Capobianco who was banned for two years for taking anabolic steroids in 1996.

The positive drug test has rocked the track and field community given Bol has been its poster boy since his heroics at the 2021 Tokyo Olympic Games.

He rose to national stardom when he led from the front to win the semi-final and then finished a gallant fourth in the final, just missing out on the bronze medal.

Last year he made the world championships final in Eugene, Oregon before winning the 800m silver medal at the Birmingham Commonwealth Games.

Bol’s remarkable story has been celebrated, how he was born in Sudan and then emigrated to Egypt before his family gained humanitarian status through the UNHCR, first arriving in Toowoomba, before the family settled in Perth.

He didn’t start athletics until 16 when a teacher at his high school approached him to compete in the athletics carnival. He dominated and realised track and field was his path forward rather than basketball.

Bol rose to fame at the Tokyo Olympics

Bol rose to fame at the Tokyo Olympics

Within a couple of years he won the national junior 800m title and then in 2015 he moved to Melbourne to be coached by Rinaldi.

Bol made his Australian debut at the 2016 Rio Olympics where he was run out in the heat and then again wore the green and gold at the 2017 world championships in London.

Injury forced him to miss the 2018 Gold Coast Commonwealth Games and he failed to get out of the heats at the 2019 Doha world championships.

Bol benefited from the Covid break and with consistent training his development skyrocketed with 2021 his coming out parade.

He set a new Australian 800m record in the Tokyo Olympic semi-final, clocking 1min44.13sec to take the honour off his training partner Joseph Deng who had owned the record for three years.

Bol then lowered his own record at the Paris Diamond League in June last year to 1:44.00sec as he continued to prove he was one of the world’s best middle-distance runners.

Bummer. What a shame.

Peter Bol done for EPO

Blah blah blah, spare me, we’ve heard it all before.

This is so sht.

Can only hope that WADA has fked up.

1 Like

Well as we know from our own situation that in this country you are automatically classified as a “DRUG CHEAT!” even with media speculation that something has gone wrong, without any positive tests. Mud sticks.

With the positive test in this case, it’s game over. Whatever happens from here.

Australians are usually quick to throw mud at athletes from other countries but are in disbelief when one of our own gets caught.
FWIW I’d rather watch a juiced up Olympics than a cleanskin event :rofl:

9 Likes