ANNOUNCE Western United are at the Hangar

Never played at a high level is completely different to never played, watched, coached any level

Me too. Business in sport fascinates me. Draft Day and Moneyball are two of my favourite movies.

2 Likes

It is a continuum, and as I say the show is based on one extreme (hyperbole).

+1 for a thread on this. I’m well versed in the motorsport aspect of this but would be keen to learn about other sports.

1 Like

Agree, a business of sport thread with posts containing interesting information would be really interesting.

Due to the chat on this thread I have started a specific business in sport thread here

@simmo41
@brem06
@ivan
@Goaloss
@dmaplestone
@barnz
@up_up

5 Likes

So how many sporting clubs and associations are based there now?
One club, but effectively 2 teams, our AFL, AFLW(&VFLW?) plus Western Uniting Soccer club for 2 yrs. Are the Para Olympians still based there as well?

Our wheelchair side in the VWFL too

1 Like

Yep Paralympians train there indefinitely I think.

Yeah it’s their facility as well. They occupy the ground floor and use the basketball court too.

Isn’t there a soccer ground across the road?

Yeah it’s a local club I think

Both the VFL and VFLW train on the Docklands ground at night. The AFLW might do so too (most of them still need “real jobs”). All three could overlap for a short time early in the year.

A-League is broadly the same time period, so that’s 4 teams training twice a week?

WS Wanderers being so low surprises me. They have had quite a few poor seasons but with new stadium etc were widely tipped to be the biggest club in Sydney only a few years ago.

When people donated money to the Flight Plan, did they know it would be for other teams, that have nothing to do with Essendon, being based there??

6 Likes

I hope they are paying a shitload of rent to use the facilities. Would I be right in saying this is the reason the club signed off on this?

3 Likes

I’m sure Essendon stands to make a good amount of coin from this.

I’m sure it’s a key factor. I’m assuming also other commercial opportunities to cross promote, sponsorship etc. I’m sure it’s about community engagement and lowering fixed costs for EFC. The western United predominantly play over summer so it makes sense if it makes commercial opportunity.

1 Like